U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 02:30 PM

15,109 posts, read 30,995,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I like Jupiter a lot. It's a beautiful area.

So where does it indicate in my comments that I am a "hater?" I realize your post wasn't directed specifically at me, but the subject of the thread is "Leaving Florida Behind - Where would you go?" So I joined the discussion. There are one or two posters who are always bashing the state, but they exist in most forums.

Anyway, now you know someone who moved to North Carolina from Florida. Me! In fact, many of my neighbors are from Florida, although most of them are snowbirds and are leaving this week, now that the leaves have fallen, although it's still comfortably warm (60-ish) just rainy.

Great photo by the way!
Nancy, I don't think anyone was directing that comment at you. There are two posters on this thread making the remarks, BOTH of whom moved to other states and hated where they moved and CAME BACK HERE, and now are complaining again. That is what gets old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2015, 02:35 PM

2,625 posts, read 4,929,179 times
I have lived in south Florida (Miami-Dade) for nearly 43 years. I stayed here mostly due to my job which I loved. I have been retired for about a year. I am planning on moving back to Indiana - my home state. I miss the four seasons - yes I even miss the snow. I enjoy road trips and since Indiana is centrally located, it will be much easier to travel to areas I enjoy, including the Smoky Mountains. It is just an 8 hour drive from my hometown to the Smokies. It takes more than 8 hours just to drive out of Florida!

Old 11-03-2015, 11:47 AM

2,949 posts, read 12,155,488 times
Chattanooga, TN - really worth a look.

Old 11-03-2015, 02:35 PM

14,269 posts, read 15,848,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Nancy, I don't think anyone was directing that comment at you. There are two posters on this thread making the remarks, BOTH of whom moved to other states and hated where they moved and CAME BACK HERE, and now are complaining again. That is what gets old.
Yes, thanks. I know the comment wasn't directed at me. I was only saying there's a difference between mentioning things you do or don't like and complaining. There are, however, posters who go out of their way to knock everything about Florida.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
Can you be more specific? I'm not very far from Chattanooga (at least for a day trip) but I read that the crime rate is extremely high. I thought of taking a ride up there, but it's over 2-1/2 hours on 64, according to Google Maps.

Old 11-03-2015, 02:51 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,139,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
They were just rated best place to live for 2016

Old 11-03-2015, 08:17 PM

17,411 posts, read 10,491,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
They were just rated best place to live for 2016
Yep not a bad place at all, except for traffic. Almost moved there but the traffic was a deal breaker.

Old 11-04-2015, 05:15 AM

21,102 posts, read 30,175,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Yep not a bad place at all, except for traffic. Almost moved there but the traffic was a deal breaker.
Chattanooga TN...bad traffic....dealbreaker? Clearly you're not comfortable with any kind of traffic at all as Chattanooga is not anywhere near what is considered bad versus many other cities.

Old 11-04-2015, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I'm not very far from Chattanooga (at least for a day trip) but I read that the crime rate is extremely high. I thought of taking a ride up there, but it's over 2-1/2 hours on 64, according to Google Maps.
You need to take crime rates with a grain of salt. They're formulated by zip code and by virtue of stats using crime rate per 1000 residents which leads to places with lower population counts (not far above, at or below 1000 residents) winding up with massive "crime rates". The problem with zip code designation is that one pocket within a zip code can balloon the entire area into what appears to be a crimefest, when in actuality the rest of the zip code is safer than other zip codes with supposedly lower crime rates. In other words one has to visit and see for yourself, versus crunching pretty much meaningless numbers.

Old 11-07-2015, 01:09 PM

60 posts, read 46,944 times
Here is what someone said on a Port Saint Lucie thread where I started saying that I got priced out of Florida:
Quote:
You realize as well that in SC, state taxes will now be taken out of your check. I'm guessing it could be close to $300 a month. So the cheaper rent probably isn't really cheaper.

I've seen a lot of your recent posts and it seems you are just not happy here. So, IMO, you aren't going to be happy anywhere until you are just plan HAPPY in your life. I saw something on Facebook the other day: "Happiness starts with you. Not with your relationships, not with your job, not with your friends..." Happiness isn't determined by where you are, where you work, or anything like that. It is determined by you deciding to be happy and taking action to make yourself happy.

My husband and I just moved to PSL in September. We love it here but we understand what it's like to be in a place you just don't like. That was one of the reasons we moved. We hated where we were.

IMO a 2/2 anywhere in the area (unless you are looking in the bad areas) is going to be at least $1000 a month. If you can make it in a 1/1 you might have a better chance, but yes, the snowbirds arrived early and the rents went up a bit.

Have you looked at Belle Vista? There's also a new apartment complex in Tradition, their 2 and 3 bedroom units were within our budget (around $1200), so you might want to see what they are getting for their 1br units.
What is the cost of living in the suburbs of Greenville, SC? State taxes are really ~10% in South Carolina? I know gasoline in Greenville is about 30 cents less than Port Saint Lucie. Food I would assume is about the same price. Utilities?

Old 11-07-2015, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowsandcats View Post
Here is what someone said on a Port Saint Lucie thread where I started saying that I got priced out of Florida:What is the cost of living in the suburbs of Greenville, SC? State taxes are really ~10% in South Carolina? I know gasoline in Greenville is about 30 cents less than Port Saint Lucie. Food I would assume is about the same price. Utilities?
Just looked on one of those comparison websites that looks at costs between cities. This is a telling stat:

Average Monthly Disposable Salary (After Tax) -

Port St Lucie, FL = $2,761.00
Spartanburg, SC = $5,500.00
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or