Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 05:35 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,911,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
We r going to NC. Very pretty there, much more affordable.

Wow, everyone in FL headed to NC.

Which part?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2015, 06:31 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,958,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
Wow, everyone in FL headed to NC.

Which part?
Just north to Cornelius/Huntersville area. We house hunted in Naples for a while but it's one of the most expensive towns in Fla save for a few on the east coast. With the amount of $ we saved for a down payment we will have a mortgage closer to $200-$300 a month vs. $1500 here+ HOA in a condo here. Makes no sense to stay. We want seasons but milder than New England. We also like access to a city. If I'm gonna pay city prices to live somewhere (apts average $1500+ in Naples) then I want to have the amenities of one. Not to mention we are 30 living in a retirement community. It's a no brainer

Old 11-01-2015, 06:37 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,450,446 times
I always wanted to move north, and I ended up heading west to Texas. After Texas, I am fixing to head north to Minnesota, most likely. If I was to return to the Southeast, it would be most likely Georgia, North Carolina, Tennessee or Virginia.

Old 11-01-2015, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb18 View Post
Have you visited the panhandle? Tallahassee has small rolling hills is a smallish city if you don't count students and government. The mountains in Georgia are within a day's drive. It does get colder in the winter and has occasionally snowed but not to much. It is hotter and more humid in the summer then Tampa bay. It is not beach oriented but pretty outdoorsy. People are diverse and fairly nice. It is a huge college town. Many r very involved with the football scene. Go Noles! It is fairly far from any other major city except Thomasville Georgia. The rest of the surrounding areas are rural and southern in nature. Good luck on your adventure
I visited Tallahassee for the first time this summer. Surprised by how hilly it was! I was on the highways though, not in the city, but the area was very pretty. Also love all the pine forests of the panhandle.

Old 11-01-2015, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
When it's hot it's the best time for the beach and pina colada's
That gets old after August, though. By October I am craving pies, hayrides and wearing sweaters. It's 79 degrees back home and 60 here. Lows in the 40s by the next weekend and you betcha I am lovin' this! I can't imagine 10 months where it reaches the 80s on average, ever again. I need a period of cold, a period of heat and a time of in between.

Old 11-01-2015, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyff67 View Post
No joke!
I Love the heat and the humidity!!! I'm freezing from mid November to April.
Why would anyone that doesn't love the heat, move to Florida???
I usually hate hot weather, at least by August, and I moved to Texas, of all places. People move for reasons beyond, weather, you know? I moved because of relationship purposes. I almost dragged my partner at the time down to Florida, neither of us wanted to move there, though. He's a diehard Texan who honestly doesn't wanna live anywhere else.

I do like Texas, and the weather is great for most of the year besides really August and September. Didn't even mind June and July that much, though I lived in drier west Texas. When I came to Denton I felt the horrible humidity from back home during the mornings.

Please keep in mind, Florida isn't all transplants lol most of the people who don't like it, have lived there all their lives and want something different. I never saw snow until I was 15 years old, and now I can't imagine living where it didn't snow at least once. Sorry, I get warm as low as the 60s.

Old 11-01-2015, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
My wife was just in Dallas a few weeks ago. She said it wasnt too bad. Low humidity even tho the temps may have been high. Its the humidity that makes it feel so awful.
Was she there during October 14th and around then? Goodness, it was hot but dry as hell! 10% humidity. It felt nicer than humid but what they don't tell you about the dry heat is how thirsty you get by doing even a shred of exercise! North Texas is miserably hot in August but it cools off eventually in fall, and it's also Cowboy's season so there's that

Old 11-01-2015, 07:12 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
I've been in a small town in Western NC (Smoky Mountains) for the past several months. I prefer the weather in WNC. I also liked Southwest Florida, but I missed the change of seasons after living there for so long. I've really enjoyed driving in the mountains this autumn.

OTOH, I like watching the sunsets over the Gulf of Mexico. Something I don't miss, which is not specific to Florida, is the amount of biting insects. I was thinking of visiting Mississippi, because I actually like swampland, believe it or not! However, I don't enjoy being attacked by a swarm of mosquitoes and, so far, I haven't had that problem where I'm living. I also don't miss palmetto bugs, but Florida has many beautiful birds and beaches, so no place is perfect!

The other pluses are not specific to any one state. Since I'm in a small town, there's no traffic, no lines in the supermarket and very low crime. Many things really depend on a person's lifestyle and budget. I'm about 75 miles from Asheville which is an entirely different community with a lot more diversity, activities, shops and restaurants, but it's also more expensive to live there and there's more traffic.

Last edited by justNancy; 11-01-2015 at 07:53 PM..

Old 11-01-2015, 07:46 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyff67 View Post
No joke!
I Love the heat and the humidity!!! I'm freezing from mid November to April.
Why would anyone that doesn't love the heat, move to Florida???
I've asked that question many times. My grandfather lived in Miami and loved it (that was 40 years ago) and even wore a sweater in the summer.

I didn't mind the heat too much, but I needed a change after 20 years.

Old 11-01-2015, 09:24 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,911,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Just north to Cornelius/Huntersville area. We house hunted in Naples for a while but it's one of the most expensive towns in Fla save for a few on the east coast. With the amount of $ we saved for a down payment we will have a mortgage closer to $200-$300 a month vs. $1500 here+ HOA in a condo here. Makes no sense to stay. We want seasons but milder than New England. We also like access to a city. If I'm gonna pay city prices to live somewhere (apts average $1500+ in Naples) then I want to have the amenities of one. Not to mention we are 30 living in a retirement community. It's a no brainer

Very nice area. Good choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida