Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 09:09 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,138,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
No exaggerations here. I was there walking with a large group. All the kids were getting worn out and tired due to the humidity, hardly any breeze or anything. I hated getting bit by skeeters the most, I could handle the heat.
I think the extent of skeeters can depend upon where one lives, though most people acknowledge they've seemed more abundant this year, where I live. Adding to that, for some people repellents do absolutely nothing to dissuade the skeeters from getting their fix.

As far as trick-or-treating goes, the overwhelming majority of kids here are taken to specific locations such as the mall or church parking lots to get their candy. In the few neighborhoods I've observed with a healthy trick-or-treat population, some residents who participate in the candy handout offer cold bottled water in addition to sweets. Most people I know and have interacted with seem genuinely concerned with children overheating, and skeeters to a lesser degree, which makes the aforementioned mall and church parking lots (both of which events are usually held for a period of 3-6 hours throughout the afternoon/early evening) all the more appealing for folks within the community.

The other big concern around here is personal safety. Some of the worst drivers anywhere live here. Marion County, FL, has the second-highest per capita rate of DUI-related fatalities by county in the entire United States as well. Plugging in an address throughout much of the Ocala area also produces a map that lights up like a Christmas tree on the sex offender site. There are few, if any, street lights or sidewalks in most neighborhoods, which only adds to the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2015, 10:15 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,963,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Sounds like some kids need to get away from the video games and computers and get more physical. What do they do in the daytime in August? For mosquitoes there are a dozen products especially designed for that. They call it "insect repellant".
my daughter doesn't play outside in august. Its too hot. We aren't central Fla where it cools off more as the night goes on. I'm as far south as you can get on the West coast, very subtropical and humid to the max most of the year. They were not exaggerations it was hot and miserable and our heat index was 96 last night. I can see we were not the only ones who thought so.

My daughter also doesn't play on the computer all day but we do find other things to do like coloring, painting, and the sorts. She absolutely hates summer here, even at 5 she asks if we can move away. Which thankfully we are. Not everyone loves it, nor did we have a choice in living here so when you don't enjoy it it can be miserable

Last edited by Sweetbottoms; 11-01-2015 at 10:31 AM..

Old 11-01-2015, 11:53 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowallergy View Post
I used to associate Florida with the outdoors, before I moved here. I've spent more time couped up in Fl than anywhere I've lived. Unhealthy place to live year round. Dec- March is not worth spending the rest of the year in FL, for me.
So get outside. I'm outside all year long and as a runner, I'm outdoors every single day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
As usual, the chronic complaining Florida bashers here are exaggerating about Halloween...

Down here in Sarasota everyone was having a good time and no one's cheeks were "fire-red" or having to sit down, etc. for chrissakes people give it up and get the hell out already.....
Isn't that the truth? Somehow I made in through last night in a polyester witch costume with ten pounds of extensions in my hair AND a hat. I walked all over Las Olas. None of my friends had 'fire-red' cheeks.

Old 11-01-2015, 12:34 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Sounds like some kids need to get away from the video games and computers and get more physical. What do they do in the daytime in August? For mosquitoes there are a dozen products especially designed for that. They call it "insect repellant".
Yea, I guess many of us were just not expecting to get bit on the last day of October.

Last edited by StreetSmarts; 11-01-2015 at 12:44 PM..

Old 11-01-2015, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
I think the extent of skeeters can depend upon where one lives, though most people acknowledge they've seemed more abundant this year, where I live. Adding to that, for some people repellents do absolutely nothing to dissuade the skeeters from getting their fix.

As far as trick-or-treating goes, the overwhelming majority of kids here are taken to specific locations such as the mall or church parking lots to get their candy. In the few neighborhoods I've observed with a healthy trick-or-treat population, some residents who participate in the candy handout offer cold bottled water in addition to sweets. Most people I know and have interacted with seem genuinely concerned with children overheating, and skeeters to a lesser degree, which makes the aforementioned mall and church parking lots (both of which events are usually held for a period of 3-6 hours throughout the afternoon/early evening) all the more appealing for folks within the community.

The other big concern around here is personal safety. Some of the worst drivers anywhere live here. Marion County, FL, has the second-highest per capita rate of DUI-related fatalities by county in the entire United States as well. Plugging in an address throughout much of the Ocala area also produces a map that lights up like a Christmas tree on the sex offender site. There are few, if any, street lights or sidewalks in most neighborhoods, which only adds to the problem.

Yes you're right. Thats one reason why we all walk together and keep the kids close by. Some folks were passing out water b/c it was so muggy here too. Some of us got bit by skeeters, some did not. Depends on your blood type, believe it or not.

There was a car flying by us and it was dark. I yelled "hey, slow down" to them. Last year there was a car flying down the road and almost hit a group of us. One of the parents yelled at the lady. How can you NOT know kids will be out walking? Irresponsible.

We have sidewalks but at times it got crowded so we'd walk in the street for a minute. Also not enough street lamps for sure make it too dark. Another reason we ask all the kids to stay close by. We live in a nice area, but there are a few questionable neighbors and just like anywhere in FL, bad drivers are ones that seem to not care about it being Halloween.

Old 11-01-2015, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
my daughter doesn't play outside in august. Its too hot. We aren't central Fla where it cools off more as the night goes on. I'm as far south as you can get on the West coast, very subtropical and humid to the max most of the year. They were not exaggerations it was hot and miserable and our heat index was 96 last night. I can see we were not the only ones who thought so.

My daughter also doesn't play on the computer all day but we do find other things to do like coloring, painting, and the sorts. She absolutely hates summer here, even at 5 she asks if we can move away. Which thankfully we are. Not everyone loves it, nor did we have a choice in living here so when you don't enjoy it it can be miserable
My girls just play for short periods of time in the Summer. Its too hot. Unless theyre in the pool.

Old 11-01-2015, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
My girls just play for short periods of time in the Summer. Its too hot. Unless theyre in the pool.
Us too. We are not beach people at all and can stand the pool for maybe an hour . I'm a natural Ginger and my husband is fair skinned/blonde hair as is my daughter.

Old 11-01-2015, 12:52 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,444,863 times
You think it is too hot here, you don't want to live in Texas. Dallas area has the distinction of being the overall 2 nd hottest area behind Phoenix. That being said, that's why they invented AC.

Old 11-01-2015, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
None of my friends had 'fire-red' cheeks.
Well then I guess you all just tolerate the heat better than the rest of Us. As a mom when my kid is that hot and asking to sit down in people's driveways I have reason to be concerned she's overheating. My nephew ended up taking his costume off about 20 mins in because he was drenched in sweat. Many kids had running makeup and were holding their wigs and such to cool off. It was not just us.

Old 11-01-2015, 12:54 PM

My wife was just in Dallas a few weeks ago. She said it wasnt too bad. Low humidity even tho the temps may have been high. Its the humidity that makes it feel so awful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida