Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2008, 03:53 PM

4 posts, read 13,483 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I just graduated from Penn State University. I am 23 years old and I am young and want to what is out there other than the northeast. I live near AC, NJ and realize that I am still young and want to try living somewhere warm and fun. Plus my major was Landscape and Turfgrass management so Florida has plenty of jobs! I just don't know where a good place for me to live is. I need to get a job first. I love Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Boca, West Palm, Orlando, and Tampa. Miami is tops on my list but the city itself isn't that clean, can I afford south beach? At 23 I am single, love the club scene, love the beach, and love hot girls. I may want to work 2 jobs at first to make more money and meet new people. I am excited and optomistic. I realize if I don't like it I can always move back home. I just visited a friend in Orlando and had a great time. What is the best place you would recommend for a college grad looking for an upbeat scene with plenty of people my age? I will be making between 45-65k. Maybe more depending on my second job. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 04:00 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,963,035 times
Miami beach sounds like what your looking for. I don`t live in south Florida but visit and you sound like you want to have a great time and sobe is for you.

With your salary and no children you should be OK.

If i was young and looking for the most happening place in Florida, Miami beach would be for me.

Old 01-31-2008, 04:07 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,901,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUGrad007 View Post
Hello,

I just graduated from Penn State University. I am 23 years old and I am young and want to what is out there other than the northeast. I live near AC, NJ and realize that I am still young and want to try living somewhere warm and fun. Plus my major was Landscape and Turfgrass management so Florida has plenty of jobs! I just don't know where a good place for me to live is. I need to get a job first. I love Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Boca, West Palm, Orlando, and Tampa. Miami is tops on my list but the city itself isn't that clean, can I afford south beach? At 23 I am single, love the club scene, love the beach, and love hot girls. I may want to work 2 jobs at first to make more money and meet new people. I am excited and optomistic. I realize if I don't like it I can always move back home. I just visited a friend in Orlando and had a great time. What is the best place you would recommend for a college grad looking for an upbeat scene with plenty of people my age? I will be making between 45-65k. Maybe more depending on my second job. Thanks!
Before I continue, what is your major? This is going to make a huge difference as to whether I tell you to look somewhere else or start giving commendations.

IF you can pull in enough income to spend about 1000 a month on a 1 bedroom apartment, or you are in a high growth field here, Miami Beach is probably your best scene. Ft. Lauderdale is just little bit less intense and a bit cleaner and also might be a good scene for you, take the price down to 900 a month. I don't recommend Orlando, but the Tampa Bay area has some potential as well as lower prices. But listen, unless your field is in high demand here, don't come here without a job rounded up. Just don't, this place ruins post-grads who don't plan wisely.

Old 01-31-2008, 04:18 PM

4 posts, read 13,483 times
My field is landscape management and turf grass management. i would either be working at a golf course or at a large landscape development company like vila and son or valleycrest. Miami isn't clean but how is sout beach and miami beach compared to say ft. lauderdale. I plan on working a night job like bartending or waiting. Is south beach as expensive as they say? or only if you make it expensive?

Old 01-31-2008, 04:26 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,901,381 times
Quote:
My field is landscape management and turf grass management. i would either be working at a golf course or at a large landscape development company like vila and son or valleycrest. Miami isn't clean but how is sout beach and miami beach compared to say ft. lauderdale. I plan on working a night job like bartending or waiting. Is south beach as expensive as they say? or only if you make it expensive?
It's every bit as expensive as they say. 1200 a month is introductory. Miami Beach/SoBe is more packed together than FTL, a little bit dirtier too. But it's a bit more exciting. Landscaping development field should pay well here, that happens to be pretty strong throughout Florida.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:51 AM

1 posts, read 2,801 times
Default I have a place 100 feet from the beach.

Need help with four year old boy while I'm working. Every other day and every other weekend. You will have a room and plenty of time to go to school work beach. Nice cottage on Palm Beach FL. Guy who works surfs loves his son and has fun. I just need a few hours of help with my mini me.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:04 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:
Florida certainly does have quite a few Golf courses and most i would imagine do consult with experts in landscape management and turf grass management although unless you are the head greenskeeper i doubt many golf courses keep a resident expert in these fields on staff.When i worked on Golf Courses if a problem arose that the head greens-keeper couldnt fix he would call in an expert to solve the problem.
Sounds like a great field of work for the Florida environment as theme parks and large areas of parks and airports and resorts and even county or state roadside grounds keeping all want their landscapes looking nice ,not to mention all the home owners who mistakenly believe they can have golf green quality lawns.
To start i'd just move to where you can get a job and as you get more established in Florida you can broaden the scope of other options on where to live.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:58 PM

99 posts, read 203,903 times
Quote:
Keep in mind that a large number of people in your field look to Florida as the "natural choice" to move to after they graduate. So make sure you're ready to deal with a competative job market in your field.

And if you think you're going to come down here after the tourist season and find steady work behind a bar or in a restaurant I'd think that over a bit before you make your move. When the tourist wave draws down restaurants and bars thin out their staffs to the "tried and true" locals they know and trust...the people they want to keep on staff through the winter so they'll be with them the following tourist season. The pickings can be pretty slim finding work in food service down here when the kiddies go back to school in the fall.

Better be sure you've got something lined up before you move.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:50 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,595,046 times
Just a FYI, this thread is over 4 years old, the OP probably either 1) moved to Florida and got sick of flipping burgers with a BS Degree and left already with a U-Haul trailer in tow 2) Never moved here period or 3) moved here and now works as a bartender or waiter or 4) actually got very lucky and started a landscaping business and is too busy wacking weeds to reply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida