U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-07-2009, 09:08 AM

416 posts, read 622,314 times

Advertisements

After nearly bankrupting the city with the riverwalk, they re-did 1st street.
NOW,
they detoured traffic to build those stupid archways at the entrance to downtown. What a waste of money. That does not 'add' to the historic or downtown feel, . . . it detracts from it. They are ugly. WHo was the brain-surgeon who came up with that idea????
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 10:00 AM

2,791 posts, read 3,462,059 times
I spent about six weeks in Sanford about four years back. Working on a boat in the Marina on the Lakefront there. I wasnt too impressed with it. The thing I recall the most was the smell that permeated the whole town from the sewage plant on the other side of the lake. Never could get use to it, and have never forgotten it.

I remember coming home to SW Florida, and having that smell in my clothes, it just cannot be a healthy thing........

Old 08-10-2009, 04:24 PM

2 posts, read 7,027 times
Ok... now I saw some beautiful Victorians last week in $250K - $300K range and spoke to the owners who renovated them and they all claim that the historic district is just as safe as anywhere else in Orlando/Orange County... hmmm... who to believe?????

Old 08-10-2009, 05:47 PM

1,382 posts, read 2,001,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecomedychick View Post
Ok... now I saw some beautiful Victorians last week in $250K - $300K range and spoke to the owners who renovated them and they all claim that the historic district is just as safe as anywhere else in Orlando/Orange County... hmmm... who to believe?????
Of course they are going to tell you it's a safe area because they want to sell the property. Downtown Sanford is not a very safe area. (I grew up in that area and went to Seminole High) There are a lot of public housing projects and drugs. I would imagine it's worse now with the economy than when I used to live there.

You suppose you could live in downtown just fine as far as violent crime, but be prepared for your property to "walk away" if it isn't bolted down. (ie stuff outside)

For everyone thinking about buying a property there, you should visit and walk around at night (or drive). Get a feel for the place.

Old 09-05-2009, 06:38 AM

2 posts, read 7,027 times
Default You get a lot more for your money in Sanford!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggsactsign View Post
Sure, the post is 3 years old, but several people have still posted because of the subject matter. I live in Sanford, about 2 miles from the airport (but right above it on the map). I wouldn't stay in Sanford overnight unless you just want to stay in the hotel overnight. ... I myself live here ...but if I had my choice, I would get out of here in a hearbeat.
Seriously???? Listen if I lived in a place as horrific as that, there would be nothing in the world to keep me from leaving. I don't buy it!!! Ok, so what you sound to me is like a resident harboring anger and rage at the new crop of upscale professionals purchasing historic homes/property and refurbishing them and adding to downtown Sanford's gentrification.

I'm one of those folks who are purchasing a beautiful piece of historic property at an extremely handsome price to renovate. I have visited the area several times while doing my property search during all times of days/nights and I can tell you that if not for the economic bump the current recession has provided, Sanford would be even more developed and attractive to investors. The recession has stalled some economic development, it will bounce back.

For the record I currently live in the swanky Dr. Phillips/Bay Hill area of Orlando and I am BUYING and MOVING to historic downtown Sanford!!! When I moved to Florida a few years ago I moved to Orlando’s Metrowest, against everyone's advice. “Metrowest is crime-ridden” what the mantra. Guess what, Metrowest like everywhere else has its pockets of undesirables; however it also has upscale multi-million dollars homes, golf-courses, parks, restaurants, night-life and a large population of educated professionals.

The bottom line is that while on the surface it seems like Sanford may have a bit more undesirables then the rest of central Florida, that’s not true at all. As more people invest in homes, renovate and contribute to the city, the undesirables go somewhere else. It is sad and unfortunate, but that's just the way it is. Other Florida communities have experienced gentrification, e.g. downtown/Lake Eola Orlando, Winter Park, etc. and Sanford is currently going through that phase, albeit a lot slower due to current economic conditions.

So if you don’t like Sanford, I do have a lovely 2BR townhome in Dr. Phillips by the Bay Hill Country Club for a very reasonable price of $375,000

Old 09-09-2009, 09:09 PM

2 posts, read 3,993 times
Please read for a moment! i have been looking over sanford florida.. and did buy a piece of property at a damn good rate, because it is looking to many as a horrible place. To be honest, they need to scrap thier city hall and police departments. The days of the good ole'boy network is gone! Please email me any information that you may have to forward to the govenors office and corresponding departs in the florida state house and together lets get this town cleaned up!! Moderator cut: please dm

Last edited by fauve; 09-10-2009 at 03:21 AM..

Old 09-11-2009, 09:29 AM

6,530 posts, read 9,125,124 times
I lived in Sanford for almost 3 years off of West Airport. Honestly? I liked Sanford okay. The downtown historic area was nice and they had a couple of streets that were just beautiful with really old homes and the big trees with the spanish moss. A real "Old Florida" feel.... (Magnolia St maybe??? Can't remember).

Anyway, our neighborhood was transitioning, and not in a good way. That town has SO much potential, but seems to be in a constant fight with it's reputation, as well as it's residents over fixing it up.

Hopefully the beautification of the downtown is just step one. The "river walk" along the lake was a nice improvement IMO. Meanwhile Midway and 13th street were two of the scarier places I've seen on Earth, so I don't know.

Sanford definately has a stigma in the Orlando area as a poor town, but there's potential. ESPECIALLY with the growth of the airport. If they're able to lure in big businesses and hotels, things might start to happen there...

We'll see...

Old 09-11-2009, 10:03 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,001,579 times
The problem with Sanford is the same thing that happened with Metrowest. There are some really nice areas, but they are surrounded by some of the most dangerous neighborhoods in the state. So you get "crime creep". The bad guys start venturing further out of the bad areas and committing crimes in the nicer areas. Anything can happen, anytime, anywhere. That is my motto for today's world.

I agree that Sanford has a lot of potential (lakefront, historic homes, etc) but the crime there is just way too high for my comfort. (Crime Index of 513 vs. 320 National average, according to City Data) Theft is 4007 per 100,000, which is "off the charts" high! Sanford definately has a poverty and drug problem. Many of the schools serving the downtown area are pretty rough, again due to high poverty, which makes it a tough sell to families with kids.

Old 11-13-2009, 12:26 AM

9 posts, read 14,555 times
Wow I will move to Sanford in 2 months, my friends told me nice things about Sanford and now Im reading this, OMG.

Old 04-17-2010, 11:08 AM

62 posts, read 149,827 times
Yes, I realize this is an old post, but I can't find much on here about Sanford.

I'm with comedychick. I see a lot of up-side potential in Sanford. Sure there are some rough areas. You get that in lot of places. Maybe Sanford is worse than most, but I believe that the opportunities out weigh any down side. I am part of a group that is currently buying properties in the area. As an example we recently purchased a forclosed property (historical, rich in architectural detail) for just under $75,000 cash. This home was listed several years ago for well over $300,000. This is not unusual. We are looking at several other similar properties and will completely renovate/restore these properties.

Artists are looking at this area and there is a growing art colony developing.

Very exciting IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida