U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 06:09 PM

13,495 posts, read 34,013,292 times

Advertisements

Is Sanford part of the Orlando metro area or is it a bit outside of it? A new airline started up a couple of years ago and instead of flying into MCO, it is a direct flight into Sanford. Since it has only set routes, it's much more economical then the other airlines are and no stops would be a good thing. WE're thinking about trying the airline when we come down to Fl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2006, 08:20 PM

302 posts, read 972,560 times
Sanford International is much easier to travel through than MCO. It is a smaller airport (at least for now) located about 20 miles north east of MCO. If you are looking to travel to the Orlando area or attractions, I-4 and 417 are right there. Driving time is about 30-40 minutes depending on traffic. I used Tansmeridian while they were flying out of sanford but now I use Jet-Blue from MCO.

Just a heads up....Sanford is not a place to be after night fall. Get in a car and go, don't sight-see Sanford at night.

Old 11-16-2006, 09:44 PM

13,495 posts, read 34,013,292 times
Thank you so much for the heads up on that one. We were actually planning on spending the night in Sanford. Is that relatively safe? We probably won't do too much sight-seeing around Orlando since we've done that and would probably head a different direction this time.

We're planning on using Allegiant Air. They offer us non-stop flights to Sanford, Daytona Beach, and to Las Vegas. They seem to have very reasonable rates.

Old 11-17-2006, 07:07 AM

1,418 posts, read 9,352,722 times
Quote:
don't sight-see Sanford at night.
This is rubbish! You make Sanford sound like a war zone with is ridiculous. It is actually a nice little town with an interesting historic downtown area, that is pretty quiet after 7:00 pm. As far as sight-seeing goes, there's simply nothing to do in Sanford after dark, but during the day it has some nice antique shops and other shops in the downtown area. And it has a nice little waterfront area along lake Monroe. Also, you might want to take your kids to see the Sanford Zoo, which is Orlando's only real Zoo (not a Disneyesque zoo, but not bad either)

I go to Sanford frequently, during the day and at night. I've never had any problem whatsoever.

Old 11-17-2006, 08:13 AM

302 posts, read 972,560 times
You are right...Daylight time is safe in Sanford.Historic Downtown is nice with the river walk... But night time, I DON"T THINK SO!!! They have a higher crime rate than O-Town. If you value your families safety and your car or other possessions, take my advice. Been there done that!

Old 06-10-2009, 12:01 AM

1 posts, read 8,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuse View Post
You are right...Daylight time is safe in Sanford.Historic Downtown is nice with the river walk... But night time, I DON"T THINK SO!!! They have a higher crime rate than O-Town. If you value your families safety and your car or other possessions, take my advice. Been there done that!

Sanford is like many other cities/towns their are places you don't want to be after dark. It isn't that all of Sanford as a whole is bad. I would suspect that anyone traveling into the area via the Sanford Airport would stick to main roads and thus be perfectly safe after dark. As with all things a little bit of common sense goes along ways.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:19 AM

4,678 posts, read 8,493,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by themurdock View Post
Sanford is like many other cities/towns their are places you don't want to be after dark. It isn't that all of Sanford as a whole is bad. I would suspect that anyone traveling into the area via the Sanford Airport would stick to main roads and thus be perfectly safe after dark. As with all things a little bit of common sense goes along ways.
The post you replied to was almost 3 years old man...

Old 06-10-2009, 12:26 AM

8,233 posts, read 11,249,318 times
I would choose another area to stay inn. Lake Mary is close. and has some hotels close to i-4
Allegiant does offer some good fares. Sanford is an easy airport to get in and out of. its a nice change fro MCO. you are too far from Oviedo or East orlando either kind of depends on where you are headed.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:33 AM

4,678 posts, read 8,493,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
I would choose another area to stay inn. Lake Mary is close. and has some hotels close to i-4
Allegiant does offer some good fares. Sanford is an easy airport to get in and out of. its a nice change fro MCO. you are too far from Oviedo or East orlando either kind of depends on where you are headed.
Thread is 3 years old...

Old 08-06-2009, 08:23 AM

8 posts, read 28,137 times
Thumbs down Sanford, Florida: The Sad Reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Is Sanford part of the Orlando metro area or is it a bit outside of it? A new airline started up a couple of years ago and instead of flying into MCO, it is a direct flight into Sanford. Since it has only set routes, it's much more economical then the other airlines are and no stops would be a good thing. WE're thinking about trying the airline when we come down to Fl.
Sure, the post is 3 years old, but several people have still posted because of the subject matter. I live in Sanford, about 2 miles from the airport (but right above it on the map). I wouldn't stay in Sanford overnight unless you just want to stay in the hotel overnight. I wouldn't walk anywhere NEAR Lake Monroe, or the rest of Sanford for that matter, if you PAID me to. Just take a look at the crime maps for this area. Go Google "seminole county sheriff" then click on CRIME MAPS on the left, and look at the north region, then zero in on the Sanford.

The city's waterfront area is the biggest farce to cover up what Sanford REALLY is. They have spent MILLIONS of dollars re-doing the Riverwalk, and right now, they're finishing up these huge archways to 'GREET' unsuspecting visitors (investors???).... but only down First St. and Seminole Blvd. (along the lake). They have even gone so far as to put in free internet wi-fi for "downtown" Sanford to make it look more appealing to investors. They are DESPERATELY trying to get investors to come in and put their money into re-developing the Lake Monroe area, including a convention center and major hotels, million dollar condo developers, upscale shops, etc. BUT ONLY AROUND THE LAKE AREA. Heaven forbid the investors should ask to take a ride around the neighborhoods within a few-mile radius of the Lake. What they would see would shock them. Take them on a tour of West 13th St., Midway, Washington (Oaks) Shores, Roseland Park, the areas surrounding the zoo, Upsala Rd., Airport Blvd West, and the neighborhoods surrounding the airport, or down by Walmart, etc., etc. Let them ask the residents what they think of the area. They only way big businesses will come to Sanford is if they "think" there are big-spending residents here, and the only way to do that is create the million dollar condos by the lake to fool them. Why do you think Publix Supermarkets won't even COME to this area? The closest one is down on Lake Mary Blvd. and 17-92! And only because it's on the corner of Seminole Community College to get business there! On the WEST side of Sanford, near I-4 and the HUGE Seminole Towne Center Mall, you WILL find another Publix, but that's about 8 miles away LOL, just like the other Publix. What we have HERE are the crappy little supermarkets -- ONE Winn Dixie that is run down and needs generators constantly to re-freeze the freezers! -- as well as Shop N Save (small and crappy), Some "Sanford Ave" market that's small and disgusting, a Bravo (well, you know what neighborhoods THOSE are traditionally plopped in), and pretty much that's about it!

IT STINKS HERE IN SANFORD...FACE IT. We're the County seat, and with that comes the Health Dept, the HRS Services, the hugh county JAIL, the courthouse, etc., and every other public service crud that low-income people use. That's why Sanford will never improve, because these people take buses there, fill up most of the jail space, and go to the most court appearances. Sanford is filled with run-down shacks and not-what. It is NO place a person really WANTS to live, but HAS to. I myself live here (but for other reasons too long and inconsequential to get into), but if I had my choice, I would get out of here in a hearbeat. I very well may be able to in several years, and I think about that day every time I wake up.

SANFORD WILL NEVER CHANGE. IT CAN'T. THE SERVICES A COUNTY NEEDS, AS WELL AS THE SLUMMIER RESIDENTS OF EVERY COUNTY, NEED SOMEWHERE TO GO. NO MATTER HOW UPSCALE YOU MAKE THE RIVERFRONT PROPERTY, IT WILL ALWAYS PREDOMINANTLY BE A CRIME-RIDDEN AREA WITH AREAS OF SLUM THAT WILL NOT ATTRACT RESIDENTS THAT KNOW BETTER OF WHAT'S "BEHIND" THAT "SEMINOLA BLVD-1ST DR" FACADE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida