Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 08:41 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
I do all I can to help her but I have a low income myself .The food stamps would be very helpful for us.
Yet you have a computer and Internet at home?

If you're daughter can manage to go college full time she isn't that learning disabled. If she can volunteer 80 hours a month she can bag groceries at Publix part time.

I notice you added the disabled part later, so I don't buy that.

Someone who can manage school full time and doing 80 hours of volunteer work a month(that's 20 hours a week that could be a part time job) can work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2015, 08:43 AM

5,021 posts, read 7,450,618 times
At some point your daughter's going to have to learn about financial responsibilities.
The earlier she does the better for her.

To encourage her to try to get on the dole in this situation is doing her no favor and extremely offensive to me.

Old 11-08-2015, 08:45 AM

She needs to drop a class or two and get a paying job.

Old 11-08-2015, 08:45 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,549,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCguy81 View Post
Is the volunteer work mandatory in order to maintain her scholarships? It also, based on info you provided, seems that she should be eligible for a "work study" program. Those dollars can be disbursed to her or applied towards educational costs.
No she was volunteering at the school before she started college. She began volunteering there when we first moved here. The school is so close she can walk there so she went over to see if they needed her help . I will try to research what the work study programs are and if she can qualify for them.

Old 11-08-2015, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Yet you have a computer and Internet at home?

If you're daughter can manage to go college full time she isn't that learning disabled. If she can volunteer 80 hours a month she can bag groceries at Publix part time.

I notice you added the disabled part later, so I don't buy that.

Someone who can manage school full time and doing 80 hours of volunteer work a month(that's 20 hours a week that could be a part time job) can work.

She does have a learning disability that qualifies her for extra time on tests and other help. Yes I know she could work instead of volunteer, but I consider volunteering the same as working only it is free. Ask any hardworking volunteer if it is the same as working. I really feel that schools and non profits that benefit from the help of students like my daughter will be suffering over this new rule.

Old 11-08-2015, 08:51 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,009,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
Sorry but you aren't going to convince me that she should get on the taxpayers dole. If she can go to school,volunteer, then there's some job out there she can do to finance her life.
It'd probably be a great learning experience for her as well.

A college degree is not a right.
Some of us couldn't finish because we couldn't afford it and never ever considered that the rest of the country was supposed to finance it for us.
This is a very myopic view, helping her get a college education helps society in the long run, we need to revamp our workforce, your very antiquated view will assure that more people join the ranks of the working poor resulting in increasing the very thing you complain about (public assistance).

Old 11-08-2015, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
She needs to drop a class or two and get a paying job.
Yes but then it will take longer to get her degree.

Old 11-08-2015, 08:55 AM

Quote:
But that's ok.
She needs to learn all kinds of things in addition to school.

Old 11-08-2015, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
This is a very myopic view, helping her get a college education helps society in the long run, we need to revamp our workforce, your very antiquated view will assure that more people join the ranks of the working poor resulting in increasing the very thing you complain about (public assistance).

I agree the reason many in the US do not have a college education is how hard it is to get one. Many other countries like Japan value education more then we seem to . Education of our young people makes the US stronger as a nation.

Old 11-08-2015, 09:03 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
She does have a learning disability that qualifies her for extra time on tests and other help. Yes I know she could work instead of volunteer, but I consider volunteering the same as working only it is free. Ask any hardworking volunteer if it is the same as working. I really feel that schools and non profits that benefit from the help of students like my daughter will be suffering over this new rule.
I agree with the bolded part. Doing volunteer work shows you are responsible and reliable. But your daughter needs to find a part time job that pays. She can use this volunteer work as a reference and put it down like it was a paying job.

Quote:
Than it takes longer for her to get her degree. She won't be the first person who had go an extra semester or two.

You didn't answer my question about having Internet at home, if you can afford that and cable TV you should be buying your own groceries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: