U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2015, 11:27 AM

194 posts, read 177,999 times

Advertisements

I'm from Mid-Michigan, and planning on moving to Florida after I graduate with an associate degree in physical therapy to be a PT assistant. Depending on how long the wait list for the clinicals is, I might not be graduating until 2022. Because the Lakeland area is one of the higher paying areas of FL for PTA's, I'm thinking about moving there. I've looked on indeed.com, zillow.com, and many other sites to learn more about this city, but I'd like some responses from people on here to have a more well-rounded view on it, and other threads about Lakeland I've read are pretty old.

1. How safe is it and are there any areas to avoid?

2. How is this area affected by natural disasters?

3. How is the dating scene for women in their late twenties to early thirties?

4. Would knowing Spanish be as helpful in this part of FL as it would in Southern Florida?

5. How is the traffic/safety of the roads and other drivers?

6. How are the people there?

My background: Single White Christian right-wing female (Not sure how important this is when choosing where to live), never lived away from home before (20 years old atm), I've lived in a small town with a 2K< population my whole life (very clique-y and settled in the middle of nowhere, I hate it). I would be going there alone, not even pets. I've always wanted to live in/near a large city with lots to do and people to meet. I'm only planning on renting an apartment; I would never consider buying a house until I'm married.

I've only been to West Palm Beach and Lake Worth in FL before. I would have loved to live in/near the SE FL area, but I'm not sure I could make it there living on my own, as the average salary for PTA's over there is about $47,577 according to Physical Therapy Assistant Salary in Florida (FL)

Also, would there be any reason for me to choose to live somewhere else in the Lakeland metro area, like Winter Haven or Auburndale and just work in Lakeland?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2015, 05:13 PM

299 posts, read 273,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatUsernameIsTaken View Post
I'm from Mid-Michigan, and planning on moving to Florida after I graduate with an associate degree in physical therapy to be a PT assistant. Depending on how long the wait list for the clinicals is, I might not be graduating until 2022. Because the Lakeland area is one of the higher paying areas of FL for PTA's, I'm thinking about moving there. I've looked on indeed.com, zillow.com, and many other sites to learn more about this city, but I'd like some responses from people on here to have a more well-rounded view on it, and other threads about Lakeland I've read are pretty old.

1. How safe is it and are there any areas to avoid? I live on the southside "Lakeland Highlands". Most of the town is pretty safe. I think the south of the interstate has less crime.. Avoid around ""the Lakeland Center.

2. How is this area affected by natural disasters? Its Florida so hurricanes can happen, but rarely. Tornados can be a danger but that is about it.

3. How is the dating scene for women in their late twenties to early thirties? Have to refer that one to someone else

4. Would knowing Spanish be as helpful in this part of FL as it would in Southern Florida? No need too here

5. How is the traffic/safety of the roads and other drivers? Traffic is everywhere. Florida Ave is a main North/South road can be bad. The interstate can be horrible during rush hour.

6. How are the people there? I think pretty friendly. There is a mixture of natives and transplants

My background: Single White Christian right-wing female (Not sure how important this is when choosing where to live), never lived away from home before (20 years old atm), I've lived in a small
town with a 2K< population my whole life (very clique-y and settled in the middle of nowhere, I hate it). I would be going there alone, not even pets. I've always wanted to live in/near a large city with lots to do and people to meet. I'm only planning on renting an apartment; I would never consider buying a house until I'm married. Lakeland is a very conservative town. Churches everywhere. You can get to downtown Tampa in about 30 minutes and Disney about the same time. If you end up on the south side Highland Park Church would be good. About 2500 people go and a lot of activities.

I've only been to West Palm Beach and Lake Worth in FL before. I would have loved to live in/near the SE FL area, but I'm not sure I could make it there living on my own, as the average salary for PTA's over there is about $47,577 according to Physical Therapy Assistant Salary in Florida (FL) .One thing you may have going against you is the PTA program at Polk State is close. SE Florida very expensive, plus you will find the folks in Lakeland much friendlier.

Also, would there be any reason for me to choose to live somewhere else in the Lakeland metro area, like Winter Haven or Auburndale and just work in Lakeland?
You could do that, but there is much more to do in Lakeland. Go for it!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or