Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 08:26 PM

3 posts, read 3,206 times

Advertisements

I have been thinking about relocating my family to one of these areas. I am a real estate agent and a barber. We have 2 boys, 7 and 1.5 years old. We are a young family and I want to get some feedback on the area. Schools, kids community, activity, crime etc...We are from the Boston area. Please help to educate me on this decision. Thanks in advance!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 04:38 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times
if i had to choose................ i'd go with Sarasota.

Old 11-09-2015, 06:45 PM

138 posts, read 153,231 times
Being a young family you should avoid the entire West Coast of Florida,it's a big retirement community that caters mostly to retirees and snowbirds from the Mid-West,SWFL is also very Southern/Redneckish ,look into more normal areas like Orlando,Broward and Palm Beach counties.

Old 11-09-2015, 07:12 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,963,110 times
SWFL is a retirement community, a young family shouldn't be moving here IMO. There is very little culture , no major museums or anything significant that makes the price of it worth while. Ft Myers is riddled with crime, Naples is one of the most expensive towns in the whole state. I mean I guess Sarasota but why come to the west coast? The average age is 65. Life caters to the old and rich here, many communities are 55+ or have very strick restrictions on children . One community in Naples restricts Childrens outside play to when an adult is present only, no bike riding , chalk etc . With your young family and the jobs you'll struggle here IMO. Realtors are a dime a dozen and seasonal at best.

For your kids future I'd stay in the Boston area. Fla isn't exactly known for its education and we have things such as school choice. You have to lotto your child into the schools you want and then the district picks which one they go to and it may not even be on your list of choices. Some kids are bussed 45 mins away to d rated schools even though they may live in an A district.

Old 11-09-2015, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaribbeanPapi View Post
Being a young family you should avoid the entire West Coast of Florida,it's a big retirement community that caters mostly to retirees and snowbirds from the Mid-West,SWFL is also very Southern/Redneckish ,look into more normal areas like Orlando,Broward and Palm Beach counties.
all the southerners left SW FL for the Carolinas.

And if Orlando, Broward and Palm Bch is where the normal people are, I dont want to be normal anymore.

Old 11-10-2015, 04:48 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
SWFL is a retirement community, a young family shouldn't be moving here IMO. There is very little culture , no major museums or anything significant that makes the price of it worth while. Ft Myers is riddled with crime, Naples is one of the most expensive towns in the whole state. I mean I guess Sarasota but why come to the west coast? The average age is 65. Life caters to the old and rich here, many communities are 55+ or have very strick restrictions on children . One community in Naples restricts Childrens outside play to when an adult is present only, no bike riding , chalk etc . With your young family and the jobs you'll struggle here IMO. Realtors are a dime a dozen and seasonal at best.

For your kids future I'd stay in the Boston area. Fla isn't exactly known for its education and we have things such as school choice. You have to lotto your child into the schools you want and then the district picks which one they go to and it may not even be on your list of choices. Some kids are bussed 45 mins away to d rated schools even though they may live in an A district.
You want crime? Check out what Boston has. Boston, MA Crime and Crime Rate - USA.com™

And yes, Ft NMyers does have a lot of crime Fort Myers, FL Crime and Crime Rate - USA.com™

The median age is 45.2 in Sarasota FL.

62 years and over 24.65%

Old 11-10-2015, 05:16 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,444,863 times
Fort Myers has crime...in certain areas. Just like many cities. There are good areas and areas that have bad issues. Same with Miami, Orlando, Tampa, etc. but before you move check all the restrictions and regulations on your ability to work. Have to go back to school in most places, stand for tests, etc.

Old 11-10-2015, 11:28 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,963,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
You want crime? Check out what Boston has. Boston, MA Crime and Crime Rate - USA.comâ„¢

And yes, Ft NMyers does have a lot of crime Fort Myers, FL Crime and Crime Rate - USA.comâ„¢

The median age is 45.2 in Sarasota FL.

62 years and over 24.65%
I lived in NH. Frequented Boston and go every year. I have been to Ft. Myers once in probably 10 years of that tells you anything

Old 11-10-2015, 02:55 PM

Ft Myers has been bad for a while now. Isnt it nicknamed Ft Misery?

Old 11-11-2015, 03:41 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
SWFL is a retirement community, a young family shouldn't be moving here IMO. There is very little culture , no major museums or anything significant that makes the price of it worth while.
This is just bunk. Outside of Charleston, SC, Sarasota, Florida is one of the most cultured small cities in the US and has excellent schools. Pineview was the top rated public school in the state of Florida and it still may be.

And yes, The Ringling Museum is a major museum.

Sarasota and the greater area is home to almost 40 independent theater companies as well as a professional opera company.

To the OP, I would seriously take a look at Sarasota. It is an amazing little town.

Also, you can get your Florida real estate license from Boston. I don't know if Massachusetts is a reciprocal state but it is worth looking into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida