U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 05:29 PM

2,130 posts, read 1,369,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Git Her Done View Post
You are correct but Hawks Landing is a scam. It's a heavily guarded and closed-in community for wealthy people. These people live in another world chock full of extreme luxuries. Once they leave the pearly gates they enter out in to the real world of today's Plantation. Not exactly Palm Beach!
I absolutely love the Plantation area. I opened up my office in the city and quite like it. I have plenty of family in Palm Beach, I much prefer Broward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2015, 06:29 PM

301 posts, read 209,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
I absolutely love the Plantation area. I opened up my office in the city and quite like it. I have plenty of family in Palm Beach, I much prefer Broward.
With all due respect you are comparing Palm Beach to Plantation? Because if you have the means (money) anyone with any brains would choose PB over any neighborhood in Broward. I was around Plantation as far back as 1983 and I can tell you with 100% certainty that all of Plantation has become worse over the years. Worse as in over-crowded, congested traffic, influx of third world immigrants (some are good but most are not), influx of out state Northern Migrants that bring their NJ/NY attitude with them, pushy and rushy people, etc. Perhaps you simply can't admit you can't afford PB/Jupiter because in my opinion Plantation will continue to get worse in terms I have described above. Hawks Landing is an exclusive freakish enclave luxurious fantasy world occupied by pro athletes and other new money. Old solid money people with power and influence live north of Broward. Plantation was great up to about 1990. From the 60s to the late 80s Plantation was heaven.

Old 11-30-2015, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Git Her Done View Post
With all due respect you are comparing Palm Beach to Plantation? Because if you have the means (money) anyone with any brains would choose PB over any neighborhood in Broward. I was around Plantation as far back as 1983 and I can tell you with 100% certainty that all of Plantation has become worse over the years. Worse as in over-crowded, congested traffic, influx of third world immigrants (some are good but most are not), influx of out state Northern Migrants that bring their NJ/NY attitude with them, pushy and rushy people, etc. Perhaps you simply can't admit you can't afford PB/Jupiter because in my opinion Plantation will continue to get worse in terms I have described above. Hawks Landing is an exclusive freakish enclave luxurious fantasy world occupied by pro athletes and other new money. Old solid money people with power and influence live north of Broward. Plantation was great up to about 1990. From the 60s to the late 80s Plantation was heaven.
Lol. I can live wherever I wish. I don't live in Hawks Landing because I wanted more land. Your comments are relatively juvenile. Parts of east Plantation leave a little to be desired, but Plantation Acres, Hawks Landing, and even some of the regular middle class neighborhoods like Jacaranda are quite nice. I can't afford Palm Beach? You can't be serious. It's very likely I not only earn more than you, but I earn more than you by multiples of 6 figures. I don't live in Hawks Landing or Plantation Acres. The acres didn't have nice enough houses and Hawks Landing didn't have enough land. I prefer Davie.

I drive through Plantation every day during rush hour in that "congested traffic" that simply doesn't exist.

I am very familiar with Palm Beach, it's too far from the things I want and outside a few select areas, it really has very little to offer. Great, every cop and firefighter in South Florida lives in the Acreage. I have no desire at all to live there. But I'm also well aware that everyone who lives in Palm Beach desperately tries to justify it.

Keep at it, if it makes you feel better. All of us fools in Broward are just kind of laughing at you.

Old 12-10-2015, 12:31 PM

9 posts, read 6,359 times
Thank you so much.

Theres one hospital in each of those places. Dangerous or not, unfortunately it is where the hospitals are located so we should chose a place not too far from it. He has those 4 options in Florida.

We did go to California ( san diego ) 2 months ago to look into places however we felt that the distance would be very difficult for our families to come visit in the future ( Toronto ). We want to live somewhere warm, therefore california and florida were our options.

Anyways, Taking California out of the picture, he got the job options in one of those places,now we just need to decide where.

We are coming down on jan 2 to jan 7 to drive from west palm beach to miami and in march, we will do tampa area. We decided to get a real estate person to show us around and get some houses in the line to have a better idea of what the market is, what to expect and also to get a feeling ourselves of neighbourhoods.

Miami - Coconut groove, coral gables and pinecrest are the areas he is mentioned he will be taking us.

haven't said anything about other places yet.

Thank you !!

Old 12-10-2015, 12:41 PM

One thing i noticed from searching houses on trullia ( since we only live in big houses with basements up here in Canada i wanted to get used to the building structure of houses in Florida ) is the fact that within the budget we have, we would be looking into either living "in land" and get a bigger house with land or live by the water/canal and have a house with no land but the advantage to keep the boat/jet ski right at the front door.

We can't decide yet what we prefer.

insights ?

Old 12-10-2015, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida here we go View Post
One thing i noticed from searching houses on trullia ( since we only live in big houses with basements up here in Canada i wanted to get used to the building structure of houses in Florida ) is the fact that within the budget we have, we would be looking into either living "in land" and get a bigger house with land or live by the water/canal and have a house with no land but the advantage to keep the boat/jet ski right at the front door.

insights ?

There are marinas and dry docks and all sorts of services that can handle your boat for you. They'll have it ready when you want it. If going out on the boat every weekend is important to you, consider something with access. But be aware that it might be one of those things you think you will do all the time and rarely end up going. I have my jet ski in the garage and I'm at the dock in 20 - 30 minutes. It's trivial for me. If taking the boat out every so often, maybe consider a marina/storage with full service.

I'd say people are pretty 50/50 on intercoastal vs inland, you will find what you prefer. Inland is better for schools, but I also know plenty of doctors, as I said, who absolutely swear by communities like Hawks Landing. I would check that and Long Lake Ranches in Davie if you want an idea of inland areas with good sized yards and beautiful large houses.

And yes, no basements here, so you lose a ton of that "free" extra living space. It's a bummer but just the way it is.

Let us know how it goes!

Old 12-10-2015, 11:07 PM

301 posts, read 209,917 times
Stay in Calif, as Liberals like you will enjoy life more there. Florida is a RED state. Have a nice day!

Old 12-11-2015, 02:24 AM

5,828 posts, read 2,709,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida here we go View Post

insights ?
Florida here we go you mentioned your husband was a Trauma surgeon so in Miami that would be near Overtown but it is in the Civic Center of Miami which is a neighborhood full of medical & government buildings and northwest of downtown Miami so it isn't Overtown.

Miami is a very compact metro so distances are near but commutes aren't sadly! We don't have basements in Florida for the most part.

"we would be looking into either living "in land" and get a bigger house with land or live by the water/canal and have a house with no land but the advantage to keep the boat/jet ski right at the front door.

There are plenty of options in that regard you just have to find your price range.

Best of luck!

PS: Please forgive my sarcastic retort to your Question since I thought it was a joke when you mentioned Overtown!

"Please explain what great career options awaits your husband in Overtown? It is one of the poorest neighborhoods in Miami.
This should be interesting."

Last edited by Bobdreamz; 12-11-2015 at 02:33 AM..

Old 12-13-2015, 08:41 AM

Thank you so much for all the replies,

It has been very helpful.

The Hospital is called Jackson Memorial Hospital and from what I see its pretty much in Overtown. Its ok, since its just the place he would be working so as long as we found a place max 25min driving from it, we will be fine. Im trying to draw a circle maybe 10miles from the hospital to find neighbourhoods who are suitable.

Yeah, its unfortunate theres no basements in Florida. Its such a good extra space to work on, you can make an office , gym, playground, guest house. oh well, the options to use the basement are limitless

Anyways, we are talking to the real estate person this weekend to have the list of neighbourhoods he got in line for us. After a long conversation, we both agreed that in land we will be better. We decided that maybe we will not use the boat as much as we think we would, so going for a big back yard to plant and take care of my veggies/fruits will be our priority.

Again, thank you very much.
OH, and Bobdreamz, don't worry about your comment. Im used to be misunderstoods since english is not my first language so Its all good. Thank you again.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:40 AM

478 posts, read 503,324 times
I lived in the Tampa/St. Petersburg area for 8 years and in the Fort Lauderdale/Miami area for over 20 years. Hands down, I would go to the west coast of Florida. NO doubt about it! Lower cost of living, less congestion, less crime, and the sun sets of the Gulf!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or