U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 03:28 PM

6,125 posts, read 3,056,718 times

Advertisements

People lounge on the beach or ride the rides at Disneyworld on vacation here and think, "Gosh, if I lived here, I could do this all the time." No, actually, if you did that every day, you would lose your job, the kids would end up with DCF, and you would go broke. Real life intrudes on those of us who still have to earn a living, and those same demands will be placed on us wherever we live.

What you do on vacation has little resemblance to day-to-day life for a reason. Vacation is supposed to be a getaway, something out of the ordinary to make you feel better. Obviously if someone is retired or independently wealthy they could do whatever they want, wherever they want, so this doesn't really apply to them. With so many retirees here, perhaps they give visitors/tourists an unrealistic idea of what we all do down here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 06:21 AM

3,911 posts, read 2,858,026 times
Looking toward my retirement, I am definitely only considering places that are right at the coast as beaches and inlets are a big draw for me. I live in NC now and can do day trips to the beach (long days; closest beach is about 2 hrs from leaving home to toes in sand). It's an easy drive for a weekend. I get down there a few times most years, but definitely not as much as I though I would. If it were only an hour I probably wouldn't go a lot more; it would still be a destination that requires packing up a fair amount. I want to be able to walk to a kayak launch and get to a beach in half an hour or less. I know a couple of inland FL retirees that sit at home most of the time.

Old 11-17-2015, 11:17 AM

4,158 posts, read 7,889,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
Looking toward my retirement, I am definitely only considering places that are right at the coast as beaches and inlets are a big draw for me. I live in NC now and can do day trips to the beach (long days; closest beach is about 2 hrs from leaving home to toes in sand). It's an easy drive for a weekend. I get down there a few times most years, but definitely not as much as I though I would. If it were only an hour I probably wouldn't go a lot more; it would still be a destination that requires packing up a fair amount. I want to be able to walk to a kayak launch and get to a beach in half an hour or less. I know a couple of inland FL retirees that sit at home most of the time.
Yes, being inland in Florida, even in coastal communities makes the beach much less accessible. Growing up in Ft. Myers i was near Ft. Beach, Sanibel, Captiva, and multiple other beaches. Getting to the beach from my home in east Ft. Myers takes about as long as it does now for me living in Orlando. The biggest issue of course was traffic. Many Florida beaches are on the barrier island, most of the island have only a few bridges in and out. So the problem is driving to the bridge and than getting stuck in traffic waiting to cross the bridge. So yes, if you want to be on the beach easily, get a place with direct water access otherwise you won't have many spontaneous trips to the beach.

Old 11-17-2015, 02:39 PM

3,618 posts, read 1,553,726 times
I can see why the gentleman from tampa in the ops post may not hit the gulf beaches. Clearwater is a good 50 minute drive from my sisters in tampa if the traffic is not bad and thats not often, ft desoto is easily an hour. When I got to tampa its mainly for the alot of reasons I love DC, fantastic restaurants and nightlife , The Straz center is great and much nicer water views of the bay but the beach isnt really a part of going to tampa

Old 11-18-2015, 06:19 AM

3,552 posts, read 6,176,920 times
Generally speaking.....if something is in your back yard you tend to get complacent and life takes over.

Moved here as a single 20 something and think we lived in stages. The first 5 years-even after I married and had a baby, we spent a lot of time going to the beach, going to the theme parks, and driving around the state. Then we both were working more, had 2 kids, oldest was taking lessons, after school, got into sports( not surfing yet) and we tended to only go to the parks when company from the North came or when something new opened. I ran a summer camp so beach was part of the schedule in the summer with 50 kids in tow. Also with 2 kids in school, volunteering for school activities, working, kids getting involved in cub scouts and more sports and music lessonswith us us coaching or being den leaders, we started just pointing in the directions of the parks and friends and family went without us. Then came junior high and high school. Before kids could drive it meant I became the surf mom of the neighborhood so spent a lot of time at the beach since I was a SAHM for a while and just subbing in the school system. That is also the time when HS sports and music activities took over and the only time we went to the parks was for school trips etc. because I was still a school volunteer and band mom . Then the kids graduated high school and went away to college. We started using our SW passes again, started going to WDW a few times a year, and started walking on the beach for exercise on a regular basis. Right now health issues have kept us from the beach for a couple months and it is killing me. Soon....soon... I will be home again on my beach. I think we went to SW about 6 times this year. Haven't been to Disney parks in 2years even though we can get in for free 12 times a year at least. Regular life does get in the way of being a full time vacation living in Florida. We also do not vacation in Florida. We tend to head to the mountains and farther North to see family rather than spending a week in Disney hotel etc.

Old 11-18-2015, 08:11 AM

3,677 posts, read 3,080,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
Generally speaking.....if something is in your back yard you tend to get complacent and life takes over.

Moved here as a single 20 something and think we lived in stages. The first 5 years-even after I married and had a baby, we spent a lot of time going to the beach, going to the theme parks, and driving around the state. Then we both were working more, had 2 kids, oldest was taking lessons, after school, got into sports( not surfing yet) and we tended to only go to the parks when company from the North came or when something new opened. I ran a summer camp so beach was part of the schedule in the summer with 50 kids in tow. Also with 2 kids in school, volunteering for school activities, working, kids getting involved in cub scouts and more sports and music lessonswith us us coaching or being den leaders, we started just pointing in the directions of the parks and friends and family went without us. Then came junior high and high school. Before kids could drive it meant I became the surf mom of the neighborhood so spent a lot of time at the beach since I was a SAHM for a while and just subbing in the school system.
Thank God for surf moms and dads. Sand everywhere in the car, wax on the car roof and in the carpet, mildew-smelling wetsuits, babbling surf-stoked groms bouncing around. I don't know how y'all put up with us but thanks a million.

Old 11-18-2015, 09:58 AM

3,552 posts, read 6,176,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Thank God for surf moms and dads. Sand everywhere in the car, wax on the car roof and in the carpet, mildew-smelling wetsuits, babbling surf-stoked groms bouncing around. I don't know how y'all put up with us but thanks a million.
Tell ya the truth we still love it. Still hang out at the beach with the son and his friends who still surf a lot.
One of our favorite things is to go to the beach early before school and watch some of the best groms train with one of the old pros. There are some local kids who are doing really good and the girls are up and coming! Wish I could start over as a Florida kid and surf from the age of well birth almost like the kids are doing today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or