Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 04:43 PM

34,944 posts, read 31,087,664 times

Advertisements

I am vacationing in FL and talked to a middle aged gentleman in Tampa last night who was griping how his family moved to Florida from Michigan, but were just too tied up in day to day life to enjoy the beach, year round water sports, and all the unique things FL offers.

Do most people get too busy to enjoy the unique amenities of FL?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2015, 04:57 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,218,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I am vacationing in FL and talked to a middle aged gentleman in Tampa last night who was griping how his family moved to Florida from Michigan, but were just too tied up in day to day life to enjoy the beach, year round water sports, and all the unique things FL offers.

Totally depends on your priorities, lifestyle, family and work responsibilities, etc. I think, in general, Floridians tend to take the beach, etc. for granted, but still find time to enjoy being outside, biking, beach, boating, pools, etc.

Old 11-15-2015, 05:13 PM

34,944 posts, read 31,087,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Totally depends on your priorities, lifestyle, family and work responsibilities, etc. I think, in general, Floridians tend to take the beach, etc. for granted, but still find time to enjoy being outside, biking, beach, boating, pools, etc.
Since I live in Indiana, any outdoor business are all but done by Labor Day, and usually don't open back up until April or even May. We've had decent weather into October for both years I've been there, and this November is okay, but it seems like people get too busy with the kids, the yard, whatever, to really get outside and appreciate Florida.

Old 11-15-2015, 05:28 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,791,304 times
We moved to Florida over 40-years ago (rather than waiting to retire and move) -- and still have no interest in going back 'North'.

The thing about Florida's amenities is that one can generally enjoy them 11-12 months out of the year. So, even if one gets busy and tied-up in work sometimes, the amenities are always there when the crunch is over. If one, for example, enjoys playing golf in 'Snowville', one had better manage one's 'work crunch' to accommodate the few months of golf weather . In Florida, one can pretty much do what one wants, rather than what the weather dictates. (Of course, it does get pretty warm mid-summer).

Old 11-15-2015, 06:12 PM

17,175 posts, read 21,838,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post

Yep!

I know a guy that is a native Floridian and about an 8 handicap golfer. He only plays in the summer, refuses to pay the winter rates or deal with the crowds!

Lots of people "don't enjoy" what Florida has to offer but same goes for people that live in Colorado....working too much to go skiing!

Old 11-15-2015, 06:24 PM

823 posts, read 1,121,887 times
One of my hopes when moving to Miami was to be able to spend more time in the Keys. The unfortunate truth is I don't make enough money to justify paying the hotel prices down there except for a few nights a year. Before moving here, I would take a 12 - 14 day vacation in Key West, now that it's driving distance, but I'm making significantly less money, I only stay in KW maybe 6 to 8 nights a year.

Old 11-15-2015, 06:58 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,043,019 times
I use to take advantage of all the activities that go on in the general downtown area of Sarasota but now that you have to drive through a gauntlet of red light cameras and 3 or 4 way stop signs and speed humps, I don't go anymore.

Old 11-15-2015, 08:27 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,481,430 times
Its hard to find time when you work a full time job and then have to mow the grass, clean the pool, deal with all the kids activities and homework -even though we have the beautiful gulf 5 minutes from our house - it can be difficult to find the time to get there.

And since the wages are lower than average and it costs money to go to all the festivals, restaurants, kayaking, Disney, jet skis, etc. - a lot of Floridians cannot afford them all the time.

Old 11-16-2015, 04:54 AM

27,015 posts, read 43,613,652 times
It depends upon where you live I think. Most people who move to Florida I think tend to fantasize about frequent trips to the beach which isn't often in areas not immediately accessible such as the center of the state around Orlando or pretty much anywhere that's 30+ miles inland where it becomes more as a planned day trip versus spur of the moment..."hey, let's go to the beach". Driving a good hour or more just to get to the beach can be a buzzkill.

Old 11-16-2015, 05:16 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,651,078 times
I think it's easy for people to get too wrapped up in everyday life to really enjoy all the great things Florida has to offer, but that can be said for any place. Unless it's a priority the demands of life pull you in a different direction. One of the wonderful things about vacations and retirement are you finally have the time to relax and enjoy yourself and your surroundings. As John Lennon said, "Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida