U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 09:01 PM

389 posts, read 499,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
Would you be dumb enough to watch and pay good money to hear a bad opera singer and not demand your money back. Why should one pay for bad play from a team.
I've been involved in covering South Florida sports for almost 30 years, and this comment is right on target. If a high-priced restaurant is dishing out slop, would you go there?

As one poster observed, the Heat still sell out here even after LeBron James moved on, and one of the reasons is that management gets it and at least tries to put a winning team on the court (and as a member of a group that owns season tickets, I also can vouch for the fact that the organization also really takes care of its season ticketholders).

The Dolphins' owner, while he means well, is clueless when it comes to hiring talent evaluators and coaches, and the organization is a mess from top to bottom. The Marlins' owner is a madman who seemingly does everything in his power to drive fans away. The Panthers have had more owners (four) than playoff appearances (one) in the past 15 years and probably are headed to Quebec or Las Vegas unless things turn around soon.

Fans here are fickle anyway, and if they see management isn't making an effort to win or doesn't know how to win, they will not pay big money to watch an inferior product.

It does have its upside, though. If I want to see the Panthers or Marlins, I usually can get any type of seat I want on game day just by walking up to the gate 15 minutes before the game (or by checking out the secondary market online).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2015, 09:06 PM

4,925 posts, read 4,889,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
Why would anyone want to go to a game where there is nothing on the line? If your team isn't winning, not going to the playoffs, it may as well be a pre-season game. Who cares?

The Heat sell out every game. If the Dolphins, Jags, and Bucs started winning, people would go. Yeah, I was out on my waverunner yesterday, didn't even bother watching the Dolphins game.
Heat did not even sell out every game when Lebron James was on the team, I know I got a ticket the to see Miami Heat to see Wade and James in 2013 when they won 27 straight games and they still did not sell out every game. That post was BS.

Old 11-30-2015, 09:07 PM

4,925 posts, read 4,889,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papillons2 View Post
I've been involved in covering South Florida sports for almost 30 years, and this comment is right on target. If a high-priced restaurant is dishing out slop, would you go there?

As one poster observed, the Heat still sell out here even after LeBron James moved on, and one of the reasons is that management gets it and at least tries to put a winning team on the court (and as a member of a group that owns season tickets, I also can vouch for the fact that the organization also really takes care of its season ticketholders).

The Dolphins' owner, while he means well, is clueless when it comes to hiring talent evaluators and coaches, and the organization is a mess from top to bottom. The Marlins' owner is a madman who seemingly does everything in his power to drive fans away. The Panthers have had more owners (four) than playoff appearances (one) in the past 15 years and probably are headed to Quebec or Las Vegas unless things turn around soon.

Fans here are fickle anyway, and if they see management isn't making an effort to win or doesn't know how to win, they will not pay big money to watch an inferior product.

It does have its upside, though. If I want to see the Panthers or Marlins, I usually can get any type of seat I want on game day just by walking up to the gate 15 minutes before the game (or by checking out the secondary market online).
Heat did not sell out even with Lebron James on the team, I got a ticket to see the Heat in 2013 and my section of the arena was about half full to see them play the Hawks.

Old 12-01-2015, 04:40 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,103,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Git Her Done View Post

I don't blame you BucFan for wanting a better value for your dollar but when your username is "Bucfan" and you constantly bad mouth your favorite team on a public forum, and in a Florida Forum where locals (I'm a dedicated Bucs fan since 1979) live and work, then you come across as a no good dirty hypocrite.
You don't have to go to the stadium to be a fan of a football team, sorry bud. You're just all over the place. You come across as a 12-yr old. Very surprised to see that you're a fan since '79, because that make you an oldtimer who should be wiser, more educated in your posts.

Last edited by BucFan; 12-01-2015 at 04:55 AM..

Old 12-01-2015, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papillons2 View Post

Same here in Tampa. Even for the Lightning, I usually can snag a ticket from stubhub whenever I want. I'm not even sure why I continue to get Rays season ticket packages or Bucs' season tickets - they're so easy to pick up below cost online.

Old 12-01-2015, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
True fans are there year in and year out....win or lose.
So you think that if you don't go to the stadium you're not a fan? I disagree with you. There are a lot of diehard fans that you're eliminating from a fan base with that point of view. They buy jerseys and other team paraphernalia. Team's owners make more money by billion dollar TV contracts than by attendance in stadiums, btw.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbade...th-26-billion/

Old 12-01-2015, 08:32 AM

2,115 posts, read 1,361,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Heat did not even sell out every game when Lebron James was on the team, I know I got a ticket the to see Miami Heat to see Wade and James in 2013 when they won 27 straight games and they still did not sell out every game. That post was BS.
Lol. You have no idea what you are talking about. They have sold out every home game since 2010.

http://www.nba.com/gamenotes/heat.pdf

Page 3.

"SELLING OUT: Miami sold out every home game last regular season and has now sold out 207 consecutive regular season home games, and 256-straight including the playoffs.The 207-game regular season sellout streak is the longest in franchise history and the 256-straight overall sellout streak is also the longest in team history. Below are the longest home sellout streaks in franchise history"

Would you like to apologize?

Old 12-01-2015, 08:43 AM

5,187 posts, read 5,661,203 times
A big support by fans does not make a team better or a great team, it takes talent, a coach that knows strategy and an owner that knows how to run the day-to-day operations. An owner that lets the coach run the team but yet checks in every once in a while to see if there are problems will make for a stronger team. If an owner is in for just the investment aspect that is cause for a red flag as he is looking to sell down the road to make a profit.

The lack or the plethora of attendance is gauged by how well the team is doing. Sometimes fans have already bought pre-season tickets, so they go for the tail-gating aspect and that is fun in these cold weather cities but Florida can go to the beach or to an outdoor event and spare their home team's debacle.

Old 12-01-2015, 09:15 AM

301 posts, read 209,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
A big support by fans does not make a team better or a great team, it takes talent, a coach that knows strategy and an owner that knows how to run the day-to-day operations. An owner that lets the coach run the team but yet checks in every once in a while to see if there are problems will make for a stronger team. If an owner is in for just the investment aspect that is cause for a red flag as he is looking to sell down the road to make a profit.

The lack or the plethora of attendance is gauged by how well the team is doing. Sometimes fans have already bought pre-season tickets, so they go for the tail-gating aspect and that is fun in these cold weather cities but Florida can go to the beach or to an outdoor event and spare their home team's debacle.
I agree but we should stand by the team in good times and hard times although Ross is an incompetent owner. Glazer probably also. We need a Bob Kraft or Al Davis or Carrol Rossenbloom (RIP). The Heat's owner is a well known wealthy guy and he does a pretty good job although losing Lebron James was huge. I heard James got tired of the Miami immigrant scene and wanted to live in a normal American city where the common language is english. Any truth to that?

Last edited by Git Her Done; 12-01-2015 at 09:28 AM..

Old 12-01-2015, 10:22 AM

21,108 posts, read 30,182,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
So you think that if you don't go to the stadium you're not a fan? I disagree with you. There are a lot of diehard fans that you're eliminating from a fan base with that point of view. They buy jerseys and other team paraphernalia. Team's owners make more money by billion dollar TV contracts than by attendance in stadiums, btw.

Forbes Welcome
If you can't consistently fill a stadium like other cities seemingly manage to do minus a prevalence of winning then yes, there is an issue with lack of fans in the 16th largest metro area in the US. The NFL has revenue sharing among it's 32 teams (31 for merchandise minus Dallas) and rest assured Miami nor Tampa Bay are contributing anywhere near their fair share in terms of population size relative to other teams in the league. Neither scores national telecasts frequently, sells out attendance or musters much in the way of merchandise sales overall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or