U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 01:36 PM

31 posts, read 62,296 times

Advertisements

I'm 19 my girlfriends 18, we are looking for somewhere nice to live, we are looking to rent, othing more than 850 a month, and not a ****ty neighborhood. my girlfriend likes the gulf coast but we are open to opinions. we are looking for somewhere with decent jobs, malls, etc. any information helps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2006, 01:41 PM

weve been looking at the tampa clearwater bradenton area.. is there anything to avoid there?

Old 11-17-2006, 01:45 PM

44 posts, read 332,323 times
Lets see, I can give you some locations but......you have to promise, if you move here, you will not be comparing everything down here to Boston?

Not sure what exactly you're looking for but any of the major cities in Florida would suit what you have listed just fine.......Orlando, Tampa, Jax, Miami and many areas in between. Do you want to be minutes from the ocean or maybe a nice 45 min cruise to it? Do you want to live South South? Or prefer somewhat of a climate change during the seasons?

Suburbs of the aformentioned cities are just as nice....around miami and the coast down there can get a little expensive, but for a 1 bedroom (i assume) 850 a month should be easily attained anywhere in the state.

Again, more info would be necesary to completely give you more sound advice.

Old 11-17-2006, 01:47 PM

I appreciate you helping!

we'd like to be near the beach, within walking distance to the beach...
trying to get away from the cold!!!
we were mainly thinking the tampa area
but i read some of it is really crappy.

Old 11-17-2006, 01:54 PM

my friend lives in clearwater so we were looking there too

Old 11-17-2006, 01:58 PM

185 posts, read 636,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanesaw View Post
weve been looking at the tampa clearwater bradenton area.. is there anything to avoid there?
Originally from Boston myself. The job situation isn't so great out here, but there are tons of beaches. There are jobs, but check about pay benefits and security, don't assume it's what you'd expect.

I think Madeira beach is nice and more of a younger crowd.

Check the tbo crime map. (tbo.com). South St. Pete and Clearwater have some rough areas.

From Gulfport in the South to Dunedin and Tarpon Springs in the North there are great beach communities.

Ft. Desoto is probably the nicest beach area around. 10-15 minutes from St. Pete Beach or Gulfport.

Downtown St. Petersburg has some nice nightlife.

If you're more into the high school frat coyote ugly type of entertainment there's Ybor City in Tampa, (you don't want to wander from the main drag there).

Between Gulfport and Downtown St. Pete, (the Pier etc.) is the rough part of St. Petersburg. It Pales compared to Tampa's crime areas, but be careful.

I live in Tampa now, but other people have recommendations here whereas I have none.

Good Luck

Old 11-17-2006, 02:00 PM

44 posts, read 332,323 times
Well, I live in Orlando so I dont really know to much of the Tampa/Clearwater area as far as insider knowledge is concerned. However, $850 a month near walking distance to the beach, hmmm....... that might be feesable around the Daytona/Ormond/Palm coast (east coast) area's....

Hopefully someone else can give you advice, good luck.

Old 11-17-2006, 02:02 PM

185 posts, read 636,833 times
My friend lives in Bradenton. There are some beautiful spots.

He has a 20 year old daughter and says the social life for a 20 year old, (from Texas) does not make her happy.

Old 11-17-2006, 02:05 PM

i actually checked the crime thing and south tampa doesnt look so bad

Old 11-17-2006, 02:09 PM

4 posts, read 16,041 times
Hi,
I'm a Florida native that has recently been transplanted to Fort Worth, TX (what a difference...but in a good way). Anyway, the Tampa/St. Pete area is really awesome for someone your age. My son, who is 24, is a student at University of South Florida lives in a nice area of Tampa and likes it alot. We vacation around there every summer.
Walking distance to the beach is tough because it can get very expensive or low-rent but rarely in between. St. Pete beach is really old lots of motels along the strip but inland there is alot of fun around the Pier and beautiful mediterranean homes. Of course, there are cruddy areas in any big city and Tampa is no different. You may want to check out Sarasota, Bradenton, Longboat Key, etc.
Just remember, any city in Florida is NOT BOSTON. There is no comparison whatsoever!!!! I can't stress that enough.
It's hot and humid in the summer, the mosquitos are insane, and I won't even mention what 4 hurricanes in one season can do to your psyche. But the sunsets are incredible, mango margaritas and key lime pie to die for.
As a native....please don't tell everyone how it's so much better "up North". Good luck and I hope you love it as much as I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or