Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 10:24 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times

Advertisements

I find that some people relocated to FL without an knowledge of the weather here. Well, really without an knowledge of anything pertinent to living in FL and get surprised when it gets warm and stays that way indefinitely. That is usually the major complaint I see on CD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 11:17 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,711,339 times
I was cussing so much this morning. We had rain overnight here in Missouri that turned into ice. Having to chip that crap off at 6:30AM is no fun. It took me 15 minutes and I was already running late for work.

Florida would be really nice right about now. The summer weather here in Missouri is about the same as Florida, it just doesn't last as long.

Old 12-01-2015, 11:56 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,633,582 times
Definitely never get tired of the weather. It's not that it's super hot all year, during the winter months it gets much more mild, but it's still hot enough to go swimming, beach, etc.

I wear shorts, literally, year-round. We have maybe 5 days a year that get below 60's due to a cold front, maybe....

I will be swimming in my pool on Christmas and enjoying the sunshine. I would be absolutely miserable in a snowy/icy area. We have family visit from Denmark for Christmas and they always post pictures to their friends on facebook of themselves in the pool in December.

The summer weather is super hot, sure, but you get used to that real quick and I don't even think much of it anymore. Jump in the pool, or do some indoor stuff.

Old 12-01-2015, 12:12 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I was cussing so much this morning. We had rain overnight here in Missouri that turned into ice. Having to chip that crap off at 6:30AM is no fun. It took me 15 minutes and I was already running late for work.

Florida would be really nice right about now. The summer weather here in Missouri is about the same as Florida, it just doesn't last as long.
Florida summer lasts 8 months generally. That's no fun.

Old 12-01-2015, 12:19 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,633,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post

What's wrong with 8 months? The ocean water is warm and flat. Take up water sports, get a boat, jet ski, scuba dive.

Old 12-01-2015, 02:39 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,711,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
You guys have the perfect weather October - March. It's that sort of spring/end of summer weather that most other states have. 65-75 degrees is perfect.

Places further north have more manageable summers, but they can still get hot.

I feel like most of the Midwest has the worst possible combinations. Really hot summers, and really cold winters. The only decent months are the end of September, October, and sometimes November. April and May are usually pretty nice, but I remember moving to Missouri in early May and it being 90 degrees with terrible humidity.

The best option would be to live in Alaska during the summer and Florida during the winter. Or just live in a place like San Diego all year long.

Old 12-01-2015, 02:46 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,160,026 times
Quote:
The summer weather here in Missouri is about the same as Florida, it just doesn't last as long.
lol..You keep thinking that

Old 12-01-2015, 02:48 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times
Quote:
I feel like most of the Midwest has the worst possible combinations. Really hot summers, and really cold winters.
I love that! The weather Florida gets in the winter is absolutely not worth it for what you have to put up with the rest of the year, IMO. Give me warm summers and cold winters and I'd be in heaven. I live in Raleigh now, which has 4 seasons. Almost as good.

Old 12-01-2015, 02:51 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times
Quote:
It's in the upper 20s, windy, and drizzling in Missouri right now. I've been contemplating a move to Minnesota, but think I may grow tired of the winter weather.

Florida seems like a nice option, but I also fear that I may get tired of not having seasons. But it sure would be nice to be able to do things outside December - February.

Do you ever get tired of the weather in Florida?
There are seasons here in FL. They just aren't the same seasons you are used to. While it is nice to do things outside in the winter it can be difficult to do anything outside during the summer.

Old 12-01-2015, 04:01 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,897,130 times
Quote:

OK, I can help you out. Maybe Missouri is not the ideal place for you, but it definitely doesn't sound like Florida is either, given that you don't like the extreme humid heat, endless suburbia, and extreme flatness. What you need is to cover your car. Get a snow cover, which covers the windshield and wraps around both sideview mirrors. Or, if you also want the other windows and your keyholes to be protected from ice, get a full car cover. Throw it on when you leave the car, whip it off when you come back to it to go to work. Takes only a minute or less, and no ice scraping at all. I owned a snow cover when up North, and since it was still in good condition when I moved to SFL, I now use it to keep bird droppings off my windshield and mirrors from my tree.

If you spend less time fighting the snow and ice to get in your car, you will not hate Missouri quite as much. (By the way, a tarp can do the same thing for your steps, or your driveway.) Spending a ton of money on a huge move is not the answer, unless you truly like what Florida offers - tons of humid heat, flatness, suburbia and close to 1 trillion ugly strip malls, many subtropical bugs and plants and sealife that can sting/burn/bite you, political problems, immigration issues, and hurricanes. It is for most people just turning in one set of problems for another.

Many people are genuinely helped who have Seasonal Affective Disorder and can barely get out of bed all Winter. But for less than the cost of a move, you can buy 3 high quality Sun Boxes to surround your face with and deal with that issue pretty effectively.

Moving does not solve people's problems. It just provides a distraction. That's why vacations work. But staying in the place you vacationed to live full-time, doesn't work because once you've been there a while and it becomes normal, it's not a distraction any more. It's like watching a new funny show might cheer you up for a while, and you'll laugh. But once you watch the same episodes 100, 200, 365 times in a row, they're not funny anymore. And they don't distract you from how much you hate your job, or your spouse, or your lifestyle, anymore. Living in Florida is like watching repeats from the 70s. How long can you laugh at the same Sanford & Son? We get it, Elizabeth, he's coming...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida