U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 07:53 AM

2,131 posts, read 1,368,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
Problems is, some people don't care about these activities. They move to FL for x,y,z reasons or are stuck in FL; they don't take advantage of the ocean. I almost never hear any complaints from scuba divers, boaters or those participating in water activities.
Exactly. And we all know people here who swear Florida sucks but they don't take advantage of anything Florida has to offer. They'll be miserable anywhere they go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2015, 07:55 AM

23,394 posts, read 17,409,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishKey View Post
Many people do, I do not. But I don't care about the other seasons, all I ever wanted was Summer, all year round. I never had any concern that I would tire of it, and indeed I haven't. Those who think they might miss the seasons usually do, so I would consider that carefully. The novelty of Florida will wear off pretty quickly- like within a year or two - and then you're stuck with it unless you can afford to move.
I'm a summer, hot weather, outside person as well. People always love spring and fall, but they never seem to last very long no matter where you are. Here in Indiana, it felt like summer into the first week of October, then the leaves were all gone within two weeks. November wasn't bad weatherwise, but it's overcast and dead-looking anywhere up north for much of the year. It's not necessarily the cold that bothers me, it's the six months of DEAD!

Old 12-02-2015, 09:25 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,135,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I'm a summer, hot weather, outside person as well. People always love spring and fall, but they never seem to last very long no matter where you are. Here in Indiana, it felt like summer into the first week of October, then the leaves were all gone within two weeks. November wasn't bad weatherwise, but it's overcast and dead-looking anywhere up north for much of the year. It's not necessarily the cold that bothers me, it's the six months of DEAD!
This is how I felt. You might be the sort of person who would really like living in Florida - IF you don't mind all the other stuff I mentioned that are negatives of living in the state. Like any state, the good and the bad come together, you can't get one without the other. Of course, for those who can afford to be "snowbirds" and not hold primary residency here, you can come pretty close.

Although I love the mountains and think many of the Southern states are beautiful, culturally they are not a good fit for me at all, nor do they offer good opportunities for my field of work. So for me, South Florida was a good compromise. But, of course, it is very expensive, and still has drawbacks. So it still would not work for everyone. But those who feel like they would be happy with Summer FOREVER, even if they never saw anything else, would be a great fit for the SFL climate. Unless you need DRY heat, in which case one should be checking out the Southwest. I can't stand dry, it makes my skin chap and burn and makes me feel like I'm shriveling up and about to die within just hours, so living in the Southwest is out of the question for me. Also, to me dry places look dead also - I crave lots of lush greenery and flowers, not parched desert and mountains with some scrub plants and a few succulents. I LOVE humidity. I DON'T love it when I need to get a lot of yard work done and it is already 93 degrees with 99% humidity at 7AM. But if I don't have work to do, it feels like life-giving oxygen to me. In thinking about it, I might actually be a tropical plant, not a human, because I like the same conditions they do...

Old 12-02-2015, 09:52 AM

10,779 posts, read 15,054,949 times
^^^ Unfortunately, many dreamers think that all of FL is like the Keys. If you can buy a high end home on the water, have all the toys, have the best pest control, and not have to work for a living -- can take vacations in other places during the summer, you're golden. You can then live in a resort area, no problem. Most people who live the above dream have worked long and hard, and earned their stripes to live in a resort area; whether it's on the Monterey CA peninsula, or on Bird Key. Average Joe with family has to grind it out.

Old 12-02-2015, 10:33 AM

2,131 posts, read 1,368,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
^^^ Unfortunately, many dreamers think that all of FL is like the Keys. If you can buy a high end home on the water, have all the toys, have the best pest control, and not have to work for a living -- can take vacations in other places during the summer, you're golden. You can then live in a resort area, no problem. Most people who live the above dream have worked long and hard, and earned their stripes to live in a resort area; whether it's on the Monterey CA peninsula, or on Bird Key. Average Joe with family has to grind it out.
Nothing is like the Keys. But the rest of South Florida is basically all a resort area. It's what you make of it. Even lower income people tend to live in decent apartment complexes with resort style pools and amenities.

Old 12-05-2015, 04:56 PM

13,572 posts, read 9,258,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
lol..You keep thinking that
He has no clue since his state does not have a reverse west windflow like we do in my part of FL most all summer. Nothing like have high pressure with it's axis pushed to the south of the Tampa area bringing nasty winds off of 90 degree gulf temps. Just gets old not getting much of any rain every summer where i live and having non stop 24/7 sunshine from May till Oct.

Old 12-06-2015, 02:06 PM

2,233 posts, read 1,504,964 times
I am tired of the endless rain we have gotten this week. I'm now officially in pissy mode because of how constant it has been.

Old 12-06-2015, 02:11 PM

13,572 posts, read 9,258,819 times
Almost no rain this whole fall in the Tampa area. This will not be a repeat of the fall winter of 1997-98.

Old 12-06-2015, 02:13 PM

1,256 posts, read 927,388 times
I grow tired of summer weather very quickly. Heat and direct sunlight together render me a very unhappy person

Old 12-06-2015, 02:16 PM

1,256 posts, read 927,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I will admit also to not liking the dead look that much. It can be compensated for pretty easily by the presence
of two things:

1. Lots of snow on the ground and on branches.
2. A fair proportion of Evergreens relative to the deciduous variety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or