U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 07:41 AM

2,456 posts, read 1,991,356 times

Advertisements

I haven't been here long (but I do LOVE it here) but I admit I kinda feel the same way as the OP. Part of it may be that the one Publix near us is kinda on the "low" end for selection. The other one a bit further down the road is much nicer and we usually go to that one for groceries. But for the "quick" stops, we do go to the lower one. There's an Aldi's nearby and a Winn-Dixie as well. The Wal-Mart grocery is okay but I'm not keen on their meat or produce.

I've lived where there are Food Lion, Farm Fresh, Harris Teeter (that was my favorite), Giant, and Weis. And I do wish there were at least one other option around Port Saint Lucie besides what we have. Target doesn't even come close.

I think part of the "issue" is that for years I've heard so many RAVES about Publix and I was excited to see what it was like. They are definitely in the top three or so from all the places I've ever shopped, but I think my expectations were set so high! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2015, 08:14 AM

2,115 posts, read 1,361,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsfan20 View Post
if your only complaint about publix is that they dont have the super-premium olive oil on bogo, you need to hit the road and move back to whereever you are from...

Peace out!
wtf?! Lol.

Old 12-23-2015, 08:18 AM

2,115 posts, read 1,361,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
I haven't been here long (but I do LOVE it here) but I admit I kinda feel the same way as the OP. Part of it may be that the one Publix near us is kinda on the "low" end for selection. The other one a bit further down the road is much nicer and we usually go to that one for groceries. But for the "quick" stops, we do go to the lower one. There's an Aldi's nearby and a Winn-Dixie as well. The Wal-Mart grocery is okay but I'm not keen on their meat or produce.

I've lived where there are Food Lion, Farm Fresh, Harris Teeter (that was my favorite), Giant, and Weis. And I do wish there were at least one other option around Port Saint Lucie besides what we have. Target doesn't even come close.

I think part of the "issue" is that for years I've heard so many RAVES about Publix and I was excited to see what it was like. They are definitely in the top three or so from all the places I've ever shopped, but I think my expectations were set so high! LOL

Publix isn't a "wow" type place with any specific item or thing they do incredible. That's not what makes people rave about it. It's the whole package. And even then there are some older/smaller stores that aren't impressive at all. I'm not surprised you would go to a Publix and think your expectations were a little higher than what you got.

Ultimately it's going to depend on where you are in Florida. Note that Florida is larger than nearly 100 countries, so while I am possibly overserved with grocery options in Broward, you may be a little underserved in PSL.

Old 12-23-2015, 08:31 AM

769 posts, read 590,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
Publix isn't a "wow" type place with any specific item or thing they do incredible. That's not what makes people rave about it. It's the whole package. And even then there are some older/smaller stores that aren't impressive at all. I'm not surprised you would go to a Publix and think your expectations were a little higher than what you got.

Ultimately it's going to depend on where you are in Florida. Note that Florida is larger than nearly 100 countries, so while I am possibly overserved with grocery options in Broward, you may be a little underserved in PSL.
One other thing, you will never walk into a Publix and be served by people that look like they just smoked crack, live in a dumpster, treat you like crap, have visible tattoos.

Publix doesnt put up with that crap, customer service and the "experience" is the primary focus. They actually strive to RETAIN quality employees. Not take any dirtbag off the street.

You can't say that about Winn Dixie or WalMart, where most employees look like they just got out of prison.

Old 12-23-2015, 08:35 AM

2,456 posts, read 1,991,356 times
Yeah, I'll admit that I haven't really needed "customer service" type assistance at any Publix, so I've yet to experience that part. Although I will say that they cashiers are very nice and I did interact with one employee in the produce section when there was a fruit there that I had never seen before. She was really nice explaining how to select and serve it. That may certainly further improve my opinion of Publix. And I'm sure I'll get used to it more too.

Old 12-23-2015, 09:29 AM

15,111 posts, read 31,000,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post

I agree with all of this ^^^. And it DOES definitely matter WHERE in Florida you are. I am in Sarasota/Manatee, and the Publix stores here are the best of anywhere in Florida I have lived (Tampa, Dade City, Lakeland). This is a wealthy upscale market, even though the area is small compared to larger counties. Even the smallest, oldest Publix that is closest to me has a fantastic selection. And the large newer stores are incredible. While I do love ALDI and TJ, Publix is always a main stop for me each week, and if I had to pick only one store to shop at for everything, this would be it. People who move away from here almost always miss Publix. Our friends from FRANCE rave about it for Pete sake.

I am a Florida native, born and raised in Tampa. Back in the day, there was A & P, Pantry Pride, Winn-Dixie, Publix and U-Save. There was also Food Lion, Grand Union and of course the K & K and Albertson's. Publix overtook them all. Those stores were mostly crap.

Anyway, sorry some of you feel "underserved". I feel almost "overserved" here, I have no shortage of places to shop to get anything I want, and again Publix is at the top of the heap.

Old 12-23-2015, 12:15 PM

301 posts, read 209,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsFan20 View Post
One other thing, you will never walk into a Publix and be served by people that look like they just smoked crack, live in a dumpster, treat you like crap, have visible tattoos. Publix doesnt put up with that crap, customer service and the "experience" is the primary focus. They actually strive to RETAIN quality employees. Not take any dirtbag off the street. You can't say that about Winn Dixie or WalMart, where most employees look like they just got out of prison.
Agreed - The Jenkins family go all out to make Publix a wonderful Supermarket and it shows.

Old 12-23-2015, 02:04 PM

769 posts, read 590,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
Yeah, I'll admit that I haven't really needed "customer service" type assistance at any Publix, so I've yet to experience that part. Although I will say that they cashiers are very nice and I did interact with one employee in the produce section when there was a fruit there that I had never seen before. She was really nice explaining how to select and serve it. That may certainly further improve my opinion of Publix. And I'm sure I'll get used to it more too.

If you have interacted with ANY employee at Publix, including the cashiers/bagboys, then you have seen the difference rather than the cattle car, ****ty attitude / criminal employee you find at every other grocery store

I have lived here my whole life and remember Albertsons, Family Mart, Food Lion, Kash and Carry, Sweet Bay, Jewell Osco, Piggly Wiggly and the others, and they all sucked compared to Publix.

Old 12-23-2015, 03:13 PM

301 posts, read 209,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsFan20 View Post
If you have interacted with ANY employee at Publix, including the cashiers/bagboys, then you have seen the difference rather than the cattle car, ****ty attitude / criminal employee you find at every other grocery store. I have lived here my whole life and remember Albertsons, Family Mart, Food Lion, Kash and Carry, Sweet Bay, Jewell Osco, Piggly Wiggly and the others, and they all sucked compared to Publix.
Dead on accurate post - Agreed 100%. The Jenkins Family deserve all the accolades they get because Publix is a great Supermarket and their employees are tops.

Old 01-07-2016, 03:50 PM

6,009 posts, read 3,339,167 times
It's fine, I'd pick Publix over any other grocery store. Including my beloved H.E.B. and Brookshires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida