U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 04:38 PM

15,111 posts, read 31,000,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Yes they do. Everything is pretty much the same. But the store here is luxurious. Cafe/coffee shop, fresh food bar, etc. It's ridiculous.
Yeah, the beautiful new ones here are like that as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2016, 09:32 AM

1,604 posts, read 1,051,242 times
The cleanliness and customer service found at the overwhelming majority of Publix stores are often leaps and bounds ahead of its most common competitors. Unfortunately, aside from BOGOs we might want/need on occasion, as well as some specific meats or seafood that competitors and private sources may not carry or have at a given time, we've found it hard to justify the substantial premium paid for what boils down to being a brief shopping experience.

In the case of my wife and I, acquiring the same basic items, produce, and proteins from cheaper competitors, farms, and restaurants yields an annual savings of roughly $3,000 versus if we'd have purchased those items exclusively from Publix. This is not meant to be a dig against Publix by any means, but simply a matter of reality for our individual case. I'm just not able to reconcile what, for us, would be a $62.50/week markup for 45 minutes (at most) of brick-and-mortar shopping ambiance. For $62.50 I can make a mushroom risotto, 6oz beef tenderloin w/ cabernet balsamic reduction and organic honey roasted carrots for four people each week instead (just for example).

It depends on preference and eating habits I suppose. Publix is still a nice chain compared to many I've seen over the years, and I applaud that they actually (and adequately) staff and maintain their stores.

Old 01-13-2016, 09:49 AM

9,507 posts, read 6,501,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
The cleanliness and customer service found at the overwhelming majority of Publix stores are often leaps and bounds ahead of its most common competitors. Unfortunately, aside from BOGOs we might want/need on occasion, as well as some specific meats or seafood that competitors and private sources may not carry or have at a given time, we've found it hard to justify the substantial premium paid for what boils down to being a brief shopping experience.

In the case of my wife and I, acquiring the same basic items, produce, and proteins from cheaper competitors, farms, and restaurants yields an annual savings of roughly $3,000 versus if we'd have purchased those items exclusively from Publix. This is not meant to be a dig against Publix by any means, but simply a matter of reality for our individual case. I'm just not able to reconcile what, for us, would be a $62.50/week markup for 45 minutes (at most) of brick-and-mortar shopping ambiance. For $62.50 I can make a mushroom risotto, 6oz beef tenderloin w/ cabernet balsamic reduction and organic honey roasted carrots for four people each week instead (just for example).

It depends on preference and eating habits I suppose. Publix is still a nice chain compared to many I've seen over the years, and I applaud that they actually (and adequately) staff and maintain their stores.
For me, I find them to be extremely convenient, and even competitively priced on quite a few produce items. Their meats are overpriced, yes, but then, I'm not a big meat eater. In addition, I tend to buy my chicken from a packaging plant and my fish from select seafood markets.
I buy a bag of apples/week at Publix. They always have at least one kind on sale, and it's generally in the $2.99 range for a bag of at least 10 apples.
I buy kiwis weekly as well: 3 for $1.00.
Avocados are advertized as "on sale" for buy 10 for $10, but I've never really seen them NOT "on sale" at Publix, so at $1.00 ea, it's a fair deal.
Bananas are what, $.59/lb? I've seen cheaper, yes, but $.10 cheaper might yield a $.20 saving on a bunch. Not a big deal at all.
Organic milk, well, considering Greenwise is just as good as the leading organic brands, $5.99/gallon is a fair deal.
Organic spinach bunch = $2.99

I really don't find them to be overpriced compared to other stores, unless one is a massive meat eater. As such, I really can't justify shopping at Wal-Mart for most food items I buy.

Old 01-13-2016, 09:55 AM

2,115 posts, read 1,361,268 times
Quote:

$62.50/week savings? For 2 people? Come on.....

Old 01-13-2016, 01:26 PM

1,604 posts, read 1,051,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
For me, I find them to be extremely convenient, and even competitively priced on quite a few produce items. Their meats are overpriced, yes, but then, I'm not a big meat eater. In addition, I tend to buy my chicken from a packaging plant and my fish from select seafood markets.
I buy a bag of apples/week at Publix. They always have at least one kind on sale, and it's generally in the $2.99 range for a bag of at least 10 apples.
I buy kiwis weekly as well: 3 for $1.00.
Avocados are advertized as "on sale" for buy 10 for $10, but I've never really seen them NOT "on sale" at Publix, so at $1.00 ea, it's a fair deal.
Bananas are what, $.59/lb? I've seen cheaper, yes, but $.10 cheaper might yield a $.20 saving on a bunch. Not a big deal at all.
Organic milk, well, considering Greenwise is just as good as the leading organic brands, $5.99/gallon is a fair deal.
Organic spinach bunch = $2.99

I really don't find them to be overpriced compared to other stores, unless one is a massive meat eater. As such, I really can't justify shopping at Wal-Mart for most food items I buy.
Yeah, for the most part I don't squabble about the produce prices. We grow a lot of our own produce and we're friends with the owners of a farm down the road anyway. But with the exception of sales, general items and meats are through the roof in my experience.

I pay $0.99 - $1.99/lb for chicken of all sorts, whereas at Publix chicken typically average $6.00 or more per-pound. Given the amount of chicken we consume weekly, half or more of the weekly savings I mentioned in the previous post is attributable to that alone ($8-16 elsewhere vs. $48 at Publix). I pay less than $4/lb for fresh bacon (when I don't make my own) vs. $9-$11 for for a 12oz mass market package from Publix (the same brands are around $5/pack at Walmart for comparison). We also make our own pasta, deli meats, sausage, and dog food, which, while slightly time consuming, adds up considerably in savings (and the quality's better).

I have no doubt the average person/people can do just fine with Publix, but it's just not conducive to our specific lifestyle or needs. And, as I said, the bonus is that I can make one or more dinners per week that would otherwise be labelled indulgent by most people, and I neither have to leave the home to get it or tip some screwball to bring it to my table improperly prepared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
$62.50/week savings? For 2 people? Come on.....
That's an average savings of $1.48 per meal, per person at three meals per day (we typically eat 4 or more smaller meals per day, and enjoy both variety and quality of ingredients). What in particular is so surprising about that to you?

Old 01-13-2016, 01:30 PM

19,956 posts, read 18,786,557 times
Publix is the undisputed dominant supermarket in Florida. Walmart, through Supercenter and Neighborhood Market, is the second largest chain. Winn-Dixie is third through self implosion and better competition in Publix and Walmart.

I do not know if Albertson's will be reviving interest in Florida with its three remaining stores becoming Safeway.

Kroger remains speculated to expand through Florida with its Marketplace hypermarket stores and Harris Teeter.

Old 01-13-2016, 02:08 PM

10,604 posts, read 14,126,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I was in FL for the third time this year on vacation. This time, I wanted to visit local grocers to get a feel for day to day life and food prices. Amusingly enough, about all I could find was Publix around Tampa and southwest FL. Here in Indiana, we have Marsh, Kroger, Earthfare, Fresh Thyme, Fresh Market, Whole Foods, Meijer (hypermarket competing with Target/Walmart), Trader Joe's, Sam's, Costco, Walmart, and a Super Target. Grocery prices are very reasonable, selection is good.

In FL, about all I could find outside of Publix was Walmart and the occasional Target or wholesaler. Considering southwest FL is densely populated, I found this strange. The grocery market seemed to be damn near monopolized and woefully underserved.

People always generalize about grocery stores in Florida and make unrealistic comparisons, IME. We had someone from Long Island swear her local store(s) were 2x or 3x cheaper than FL and mentioned the stores and specific foods. She was "going to move back to Long Island" because of it. Now being from up there I knew that was bull, but OK.

SO I went online, looked at their flyers and compared to down here and they were all the SAME. You may have different things on sale at different times but not really. So she was just imagining the whole thing. They are "roughly" the same. Publix has a TON of BOGO that I never saw up North, too. But no, it's not for every day price shopping.

There was even an article in the Tampa paper about the grocery market and it's not UNDERSERVED and not woefully.

Grocery wars: How many supermarket chains can Florida handle? | Tampa Bay Times

While it's true you can practically find a Publix on every corner here....( over 800) we also have TONS of others that people haven't even mentioned.

Here's a list:

http://supermarketpage.com/state/FL/

Of your list in Indiana, we have all the ones I've highlighted in bold.

Your others:

Fresh Thyme - only has 7 stores in all of Indiana

Earth Fair - we have 3, Indiana has 4

Kroger - Is like our Winn Dixie and they were speculating they'd be merging earlier this year.

Marsh - you have alot but almost none in the north part of your state.

Meijer - you have alot but a HUGE number of communities with none

7 years ago Publix didn't even offer things like Kale. They had three stalks wet and shrink wrapped for $3.00. Because their demographic was not eating tons of fresh veggies like up north. That has changed and now their produce dept is like all the others. Same with Winn Dixie in fact, often my local store has better produce than Publix. It's just timing. And the store management.

And for NOT fresh, don't forget now there are all those dollar stores carrying frozen, dairy, and grocery (not produce or meats/fish)

Last edited by runswithscissors; 01-13-2016 at 02:17 PM..

Old 01-13-2016, 02:23 PM

5,976 posts, read 3,361,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
People always generalize about grocery stores in Florida and make unrealistic comparisons, IME. We had someone from Long Island swear her local store(s) were 2x or 3x cheaper than FL and mentioned the stores and specific foods. She was "going to move back to Long Island" because of it. Now being from up there I knew that was bull, but OK.
That's really funny. King Kullen is probably one of the most expensive chains and most that I've been in are run-down and filled with kids or surly staff.

A whole bunch of stores are closing or consolidating on LI for some reason as well.

Old 01-13-2016, 02:37 PM

Quote:

I pay $0.99 - $1.99/lb for chicken of all sorts, whereas at Publix chicken typically average $6.00 or more per-pound.

You MUST be kidding.

Right now Publix boneless skinless chicken is 4.89 per lb and BOGO. So it's $2.45 per lb.

Walmart flyer has wings for 2.50 if you buy 10 lbs.

Walmart has Harvestland® Antibiotic-Free Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts Family Pack $4.44/lb..

WHERE are you routinely getting boneless skinless chicken for .99 - 1.99 per lb?

You AREN'T. Only if it's on sale like now. Ocala doesn't have some secret to selling cheap chicken LOL. Chicken is having problems in the industry right now.

The cooked rotisserie chicken is only $6.49 last I checked.

And of course, it all depends on the volume you buy and the parts you're buying. Wings are not cheaper than a whole chicken, obviously because there are fewer of them to go around.

Chicken Prices Spike Due to Genetic Modification Glitch

Why egg prices have been climbing while chicken prices are falling | Marketplace.org

Why chicken wing prices are rising when they should be dropping

Why Costco Is Keeping Its Chicken Prices Low

Last edited by runswithscissors; 01-13-2016 at 02:46 PM..

Old 01-13-2016, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
That's really funny. King Kullen is probably one of the most expensive chains and most that I've been in are run-down and filled with kids or surly staff.

A whole bunch of stores are closing or consolidating on LI for some reason as well.
I'm trying to remember the name of the stores. Not that one and not a huge chain but one of these smaller regional ones I think. And one seemed to be family run. But they were big enough to have a flyer and it was online.

It was funny.

I worked for two grocery stores and I know their margins are SO TIGHT they have to count every penny. You have to turn your merchandise EVERY SEVEN DAYS which is a huge thing. So NOBODY'S getting rich in that industry LOL.

PLUS Publix has some employee owned thing, I think, so it's not your typical business model.

EDIT:

FOUND IT - starting with post #52. I guess it was Best Foods. (one of the ones)

Why is grocery food so expensive in Florida compared to the Northeast & CA?!

Last edited by runswithscissors; 01-13-2016 at 02:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida