U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-29-2015, 09:22 AM
 
34,241 posts, read 41,253,416 times
Reputation: 29696

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaribbeanPapi View Post
Spring Hill,Brooksville,Hernando/Pasco Counties are very crappy areas.
Thats a rather sweeping statement, as Spring Hill,Brooksville,Hernando/Pasco Counties comprise a huge area, which places within your demographic are you referring to specifically?. Sure there are a few undesirable areas but on the whole there are some very nice areas to live within your vast parameter, to lump the whole area together and call it crappy strikes me as you not being very familiar with the area...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-29-2015, 09:24 AM
 
5,985 posts, read 3,365,717 times
Reputation: 5397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I was with you until your NYC part... The problem is that, while I like NYC quite a bit, it is only good for a select few people. First of all, I never like to go up there with my whole family. Alone, fine. I love it. With kids, forget it. And that's just visiting. I lived (for a very brief moment) in Queens in my teens, and cannot for the life of me imagine raising my 3 kids the way I do here in NYC. The quality of life (if one can afford it here) is leaps and bounds above that of NYC for a married coupled with kids.

Note that when I say "if one can afford it," I'm not talking about being a 1 percenter. We are not rich by any means, but as two young professionals who most would consider a solid middle-class family, we are able to live very well, and provide for our kids in much better ways than we would in NYC.
Earning $300K a year as family income puts you in the top 1% nationwide. In NYC that is enough to afford an apartment and live well, but in Manhattan is hardly largesse. To be in the top 1% in Manhattan you need an average income of $2.5M.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2015, 09:56 AM
 
Location: Davie, FL
2,119 posts, read 1,362,294 times
Reputation: 1492
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Earning $300K a year as family income puts you in the top 1% nationwide. In NYC that is enough to afford an apartment and live well, but in Manhattan is hardly largesse. To be in the top 1% in Manhattan you need an average income of $2.5M.
Top 1% is $400k, FYI.

Otherwise, I agree with your point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2015, 09:59 AM
 
Location: Davie, FL
2,119 posts, read 1,362,294 times
Reputation: 1492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
You have your own share of ignorant posts. Just saying. You state ignorant things about minorities, and you boast about Florida to a level that is bizarre. I love my home state, but it has flaws like any other. I'm half convinced that you are a paid schil, hired to boost real estate values. Google it sometime. You fit the mold to a tee.
Where does one get hired for the job of "paid schill"? I'd love to get paid for the time I'm spending here posting....

I don't think boasting about Florida at a high level is bizarre at all. I've traveled quite a bit, even lived in NY for some time. There is, without a doubt, no better place on earth than Florida. The only people that tend to disagree are those who don't get out and take advantage of all that Florida has to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2015, 10:13 AM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 13,205,272 times
Reputation: 6009
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Thats a rather sweeping statement, as Spring Hill,Brooksville,Hernando/Pasco Counties comprise a huge area, which places within your demographic are you referring to specifically?. Sure there are a few undesirable areas but on the whole there are some very nice areas to live within your vast parameter, to lump the whole area together and call it crappy strikes me as you not being very familiar with the area...
Hernando County covers 589 square miles, Pasco has 868. If you cant find what you want in all of that space you have a problem. The counties go from densely populated to areas where there are more cows than people. Some people would rather post trash instead of gaining knowledge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2015, 10:26 AM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 13,205,272 times
Reputation: 6009
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
Where does one get hired for the job of "paid schill"? I'd love to get paid for the time I'm spending here posting....

I don't think boasting about Florida at a high level is bizarre at all. I've traveled quite a bit, even lived in NY for some time. There is, without a doubt, no better place on earth than Florida. The only people that tend to disagree are those who don't get out and take advantage of all that Florida has to offer.

It is strange to me that giving a true picture is considered bizarre. What I find bizarre is the endless list of nonsense that some of the posters here post on a regular basis. Perhaps they are the paid shill's put into place to keep the info flowing and increasing page hits.

I have found in my 6 years of posting here that some people like to state their personal opinion of another poster and their posts and yet when called upon to provide information proving the point there is never a reply. I also notice many of the "bash and trash" posters are fairly new to CD. Countless times a brand new posters' first (and last) posts are of the "bash and trash" genre.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2015, 10:27 AM
 
699 posts, read 436,609 times
Reputation: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Earning $300K a year as family income puts you in the top 1% nationwide. In NYC that is enough to afford an apartment and live well, but in Manhattan is hardly largesse. To be in the top 1% in Manhattan you need an average income of $2.5M.
An average income of 2.5 million? Where do you get such a ridiculous figure. Let's do some simple math. Let's say you are a renter and the cost of a 1bedroom apartment is on average 5,000k a month. In Miami this would be about 1,200 USD. So the difference is 3,800$ per month or 45,600$ per year. If we count the higher tax burden, it would need to be about 60,000k higher in Manhattan. So if we consider a 90k salary good in Miami, you would need roughly a 150k salary in Manhattan.

Ofc, in Miami you'd need a car (car expenses, gas, insurance, tolls) in Manhattan you'd take PT (so PT expenses). Food costs in my experience are similar. Utilities would probably be smaller in Manhattan since you don't need to cool or heat such a big space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2015, 10:38 AM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 13,205,272 times
Reputation: 6009
Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_winter_breeze View Post
An average income of 2.5 million? Where do you get such a ridiculous figure. Let's do some simple math. Let's say you are a renter and the cost of a 1bedroom apartment is on average 5,000k a month. In Miami this would be about 1,200 USD. So the difference is 3,800$ per month or 45,600$ per year. If we count the higher tax burden, it would need to be about 60,000k higher in Manhattan. So if we consider a 90k salary good in Miami, you would need roughly a 150k salary in Manhattan.

Ofc, in Miami you'd need a car (car expenses, gas, insurance, tolls) in Manhattan you'd take PT (so PT expenses). Food costs in my experience are similar. Utilities would probably be smaller in Manhattan since you don't need to cool or heat such a big space.
How much would be needed to be in the top 1% in Miami?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2015, 10:42 AM
 
Location: Seminole County, FL
9,521 posts, read 6,508,110 times
Reputation: 11853
Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_winter_breeze View Post
An average income of 2.5 million? Where do you get such a ridiculous figure. Let's do some simple math. Let's say you are a renter and the cost of a 1bedroom apartment is on average 5,000k a month. In Miami this would be about 1,200 USD. So the difference is 3,800$ per month or 45,600$ per year. If we count the higher tax burden, it would need to be about 60,000k higher in Manhattan. So if we consider a 90k salary good in Miami, you would need roughly a 150k salary in Manhattan.

Ofc, in Miami you'd need a car (car expenses, gas, insurance, tolls) in Manhattan you'd take PT (so PT expenses). Food costs in my experience are similar. Utilities would probably be smaller in Manhattan since you don't need to cool or heat such a big space.
He didn't say you need $2.5M to live, he said you need that to be considered a 1 percenter in Manhattan, which is pretty much spot on.

Also, 90k/year in Miami will buy you a 3-4 bed 2 bath house. 150k/yr in Manhattan will rent you a 2 bed apartment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2015, 10:48 AM
 
699 posts, read 436,609 times
Reputation: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
How much would be needed to be in the top 1% in Miami?
I'm not sure tbh, in Miami Beach (not Miami as a whole) you'd need to own a house above 10 million$ to be in the 1%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:15 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top