U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 01:03 AM

17 posts, read 9,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishKey View Post
So agree! And lol to the "Masters," I feel the same as I spent 5 years visiting and 2 solid years researching every single day of the year before my purchase.

The people who are unhappy are those who didn't research at all, or enough. Then they post all over here how horrible Florida is for being exactly what Florida always was. Some people are just not well suited, even if they were born here. But the complainers are the type to go on every day about how awful it is, and never do the work to get themselves together and leave. Happiness is worth everything in life - if one is that unhappy, it doesn't matter if you will be barely scraping by, you need to make a plan and implement it to get out of here! Some people here, they spend hours a day spouting hateful posts and then never take even a fraction of that time to work on moving.

The point is, you can't MAKE people do their homework. Some will choose not to do it when they're in school. And then when they get out into life, the same people will choose not to do it regarding major life choices. And then they will cry "why me?" and blame everyone else around them. That is just how some people are. You can't change that. I try to make info readily available with my posts that is frankly very hard to come by anywhere else either in books or on the internet, because I live in a place much desired but not much written about with practical information. But even so, it's not going to change anything that the vast majority of people who are going to be unhappy, won't do the research or even bother to read the info we give directly, because they are the sort of people who don't read or think ahead, or are just always negative and picky, hence why they are always unhappy with life. For those kind of people, making threads like this changes nothing.

I am very happy I moved to the Upper Keys. It is NOT paradise, but it is a really great fit for me in many ways, and I researched so heavily that there were no big surprises. Most people who move to the Keys are MISERABLE here and really surprised that they don't like something they expected to be the best move of their lives. The Keys are just not a good fit for most people, and living here really barely resembles vacationing here - unless of course you are a billionaire - in which case, what are you doing reading City Data? People like that can afford to make mistakes, but most people who move to Florida really can't.

Exactly.. It's all about being prepared what to expect..Yea it's hot here- it's Florida.. Yea, theres tons of tourists- it's Florida (welcome to disney) Another big issue is when someone who came down on vacation once and it's so fresh and new they and had a blast, then they move down here.. They just couldn't understand that this is no permanent vacation..It's real life and there's things that will annoy you just like every place... Then that's another thing... The people who constantly compare it to other places such as California or New York or Colorado. They talk about how great it is there and how it's miserable here...So then I would think maybe that's where I should move and i go look up on there boards and the'yre complaining about how miserable it is in THEIR STATE..It's like a chain of negativity but there are some great posters here and you learn to filter out the bad ones. When you research and get some knowledge here, you start to realize the whiners compared to the realistic posters... HOMEWORK HOMEWORK HOMEWORK---It's what it is all about...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 01:30 PM

3,461 posts, read 1,835,356 times
We've done the same thing, we have been visiting FL for over 15 years and plan to move down at retirement, also have visited east coast, west coast, central, SWFL, and the Keys, they all have their own unique character. We've made friends with a lot of people who either live there or have lived there and we have our eyes wide open for both the best and the worst that FL offers. It's definitely not for everyone, that's why everyone doesn't live there, we have met many people who moved down and realized it's hot and humid (DUH!), too many bugs and slithering critters, stormy summers and early fall, pay sucks, jobs are all service jobs, snowbird season, traffic. I would always suggest renting in an area before making the ultimate decision to buy, all to many people go down with their vacation goggles on and just "have to" have a FL vacation home, best to know what you're getting into. My wife and I have done the typical FL tourist traps, been there/done that/got the t-shirt. Now, when we go down, we rent a house for a couple of weeks, and just live there, cook at "home", coffee on the lanai in the morning, watch coastal sunsets, keep the house clean, do our laundry, go to local stores, walks around the neighborhood, and we love it. Sounds boring, I know, but we just enjoy the solitude and the weather, and we've been there every month except July and August (I know.....downpours, thunder and lightening). As far as hurricanes, that's always a threat, but same threat from FL all the way through New England.

Old 01-05-2016, 01:39 PM

5,848 posts, read 3,309,726 times
I think the biggest challenge is for people who have lived their whole lives in a certain area and then pick up and move to Florida, either for a "change" or for retirement.

Even though it's still in the US, it's going to be different. As @rrd8611 states, it could be the weather, the locale, the vibe, etc.

People who have done multiple moves in their lives to different parts of the country (or world!) know that things aren't going to be the same and can roll with it better.

To @snowtired14's comments, though, not all jobs are service jobs nor does pay necessarily suck. If you come to FL with no skills and no job then yes, it might be a disappointment. If you come prepared, and with a job, it could potentially pay more than in the NE, giving you the win-win of higher pay and more in your pocket as the COL is lower. Your mileage will definitely vary.

Old 01-06-2016, 08:35 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,117,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
To @snowtired14's comments, though, not all jobs are service jobs nor does pay necessarily suck. If you come to FL with no skills and no job then yes, it might be a disappointment.
In other words, if you are about 80% of the people who move to Florida... And about the same percentage of people who post here looking for the "ideal" Florida town to move to, with a house under 100k directly on the beach (or a rental under $400/mo), great schools, no crime, no hurricanes, no mosquitoes or cockroaches, and plentiful high-paying no-skill jobs so they can find one AFTER they move here...

Old 01-06-2016, 08:42 AM

9,395 posts, read 6,431,516 times
Quote:
In other words, if you are about 80% of the people who move to Florida... And about the same percentage of people who post here looking for the "ideal" Florida town to move to, with a house under 100k directly on the beach (or a rental under $400/mo), great schools, no crime, no hurricanes, no mosquitoes or cockroaches, and plentiful high-paying no-skill jobs so they can find one AFTER they move here...
Yep. Sums it up in a nutshell.

Old 01-06-2016, 08:56 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,117,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptoid Humidian View Post
Elaborate on that, please. Miserable how? What types of complaints?

I have elaborated on that in perhaps 50% of the threads I have started, so I'm not going to hijack this thread to reiterate in any detail. But the Keys are a special draw for the type of people who are dreamers and who don't plan ahead, and the vast majority come here with no skills, no job or housing lined up beforehand, no real tolerance for the weather here, no savings, no understanding of the housing crisis we have or the fact that we have extremely low pay and almost no jobs that have benefits or offer enough hours to cover rent costs (even with a roommate)... etc. etc. etc. The Keys are isolated, expensive, boring and claustrophobic for many, full of alcoholism, drug abuse and the crimes that come with it (especially Key West and Stock Island), full of gridlocked traffic, lacking in access to good produce or organic food or restaurant variety, lacking in chain stores and affordable varied goods, and a multitude of other issues. Oh yeah, and then there are a huge percentage of people who move here with the inexplicable perception that because we do not have a hurricane hit EVERY year that we will never have one again, or that streets should never flood simply because a hurricane has not hit... The expectations are totally unrealistic of life here, and the understanding of how very hard life is here - especially for those who are not in the 1% (but even for many of them due to the isolation and lack of conveniences and variety) - is missing from the vast majority of those who move here. People post every single week of the year on Keys forums like craigslist begging for money for a bus ticket out of the Keys (or a ride for them and their 3 dogs and 2 cats), because they got here and are now homeless and broke and can't get out.

So in keeping with this thread, one really needs to do your research before moving to Florida! Living here can be great, but it is not really at all like vacation unless you are independently wealthy.

If you can't live with cockroaches, mosquitoes, snakes, hurricanes, relentless humidity, high housing costs for coastal living, flooding, mold, lack of public transportation, or corrupt govt, DON'T MOVE TO FLORIDA! (Especially South Florida)

For me, those things are outweighed by the things I love about living where I do. But it's because I'm willing to deal with the bad along with the good, and am pretty easy to please. Picky people will easily find a lot of fault in Florida, probably more so than some other places in the country. But VERY picky people are not likely to be happy anywhere. I'm not picky at all, so I'm happy pretty much everywhere, even though I have a brain and can certainly see the flaws present in the places I live. They are there, but I can deal with them. I'd like to help make the places I live better, more efficient, safer, etc. But one thing about Florida is, people are more resistant and/or apathetic to change than in any other state I have lived previously, and the culture in the state tends to be far behind the trends. So don't move to Florida expecting to be able to change it!

If you can go with the flow and accept some hardships, Florida can be a great place to live - especially if you find the right town for your personality.

Old 01-08-2016, 07:34 AM

137 posts, read 123,503 times
I love your post!

My husband and I contemplated moving to Florida for almost a year (originally from Michigan!). I kept reading horror stories of people who hate it, always saying theres no jobs, people arent friendly, etc.

We made the move last year and dont regret it! We saved up enough money to live for 5 months, I found a job as an Accountant 2 months after moving. Everyone I've encountered is friendly! Weather is great, I love my neighborhood, my daughter loves her school.

I think the people that complain didn't do enough research and didn't save enough money to prepare themselves. There are jobs everywhere even if its something you dont want to do at the moment! We love Florida and dont plan on leaving! You shouldn't move expecting a good job if you have no skills to offer. Make sure you have housing lined up. We bought a home here before moving and also kept our home in Michigan and are currently renting it out. I have not encountered any snakes or cockroaches (yet). Mosquitoes suck but they are like that everywhere!

*And just want to add, we chose to move to Melbourne! Love it here!

Old 01-08-2016, 07:48 AM

8,707 posts, read 8,754,273 times
Quote:
Hmmmmm...I have never seen posts like that and I have seen a lot as a Mod.

The Rules ~ Infractions & Deletions ~ Who's the moderator? ~ FAQ ~ Personal Attacks ~ Trolling ~ Copyrighted Material

Old 01-08-2016, 07:50 AM

8,707 posts, read 8,754,273 times
Quote:
I have elaborated on that in perhaps 50% of the threads I have started, so I'm not going to hijack this thread to reiterate in any detail. But the Keys are a special draw for the type of people who are dreamers and who don't plan ahead, and the vast majority come here with no skills, no job or housing lined up beforehand, no real tolerance for the weather here, no savings, no understanding of the housing crisis we have or the fact that we have extremely low pay and almost no jobs that have benefits or offer enough hours to cover rent costs (even with a roommate)... etc. etc. etc. The Keys are isolated, expensive, boring and claustrophobic for many, full of alcoholism, drug abuse and the crimes that come with it (especially Key West and Stock Island), full of gridlocked traffic, lacking in access to good produce or organic food or restaurant variety, lacking in chain stores and affordable varied goods, and a multitude of other issues. Oh yeah, and then there are a huge percentage of people who move here with the inexplicable perception that because we do not have a hurricane hit EVERY year that we will never have one again, or that streets should never flood simply because a hurricane has not hit... The expectations are totally unrealistic of life here, and the understanding of how very hard life is here - especially for those who are not in the 1% (but even for many of them due to the isolation and lack of conveniences and variety) - is missing from the vast majority of those who move here. People post every single week of the year on Keys forums like craigslist begging for money for a bus ticket out of the Keys (or a ride for them and their 3 dogs and 2 cats), because they got here and are now homeless and broke and can't get out.

So in keeping with this thread, one really needs to do your research before moving to Florida! Living here can be great, but it is not really at all like vacation unless you are independently wealthy.

If you can't live with cockroaches, mosquitoes, snakes, hurricanes, relentless humidity, high housing costs for coastal living, flooding, mold, lack of public transportation, or corrupt govt, DON'T MOVE TO FLORIDA! (Especially South Florida)

For me, those things are outweighed by the things I love about living where I do. But it's because I'm willing to deal with the bad along with the good, and am pretty easy to please. Picky people will easily find a lot of fault in Florida, probably more so than some other places in the country. But VERY picky people are not likely to be happy anywhere. I'm not picky at all, so I'm happy pretty much everywhere, even though I have a brain and can certainly see the flaws present in the places I live. They are there, but I can deal with them. I'd like to help make the places I live better, more efficient, safer, etc. But one thing about Florida is, people are more resistant and/or apathetic to change than in any other state I have lived previously, and the culture in the state tends to be far behind the trends. So don't move to Florida expecting to be able to change it!

If you can go with the flow and accept some hardships, Florida can be a great place to live - especially if you find the right town for your personality.
How would anyone know the personal circumstances/situations of every single person moving down here, to make the above statements to be taken as fact? Think about it.

The Rules ~ Infractions & Deletions ~ Who's the moderator? ~ FAQ ~ Personal Attacks ~ Trolling ~ Copyrighted Material

Old 01-08-2016, 04:17 PM

2,860 posts, read 6,369,075 times
Default Watch my video!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ad5paRXNWVg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad5paRXNWVg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or