Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 02:29 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,893,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ad5paRXNWVg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad5paRXNWVg
I always love watching this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 08:16 AM

1,978 posts, read 4,405,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishKey View Post
I have elaborated on that in perhaps 50% of the threads I have started, so I'm not going to hijack this thread to reiterate in any detail. But the Keys are a special draw for the type of people who are dreamers and who don't plan ahead, and the vast majority come here with no skills, no job or housing lined up beforehand, no real tolerance for the weather here, no savings, no understanding of the housing crisis we have or the fact that we have extremely low pay and almost no jobs that have benefits or offer enough hours to cover rent costs (even with a roommate)... etc. etc. etc. The Keys are isolated, expensive, boring and claustrophobic for many, full of alcoholism, drug abuse and the crimes that come with it (especially Key West and Stock Island), full of gridlocked traffic, lacking in access to good produce or organic food or restaurant variety, lacking in chain stores and affordable varied goods, and a multitude of other issues. Oh yeah, and then there are a huge percentage of people who move here with the inexplicable perception that because we do not have a hurricane hit EVERY year that we will never have one again, or that streets should never flood simply because a hurricane has not hit... The expectations are totally unrealistic of life here, and the understanding of how very hard life is here - especially for those who are not in the 1% (but even for many of them due to the isolation and lack of conveniences and variety) - is missing from the vast majority of those who move here. People post every single week of the year on Keys forums like craigslist begging for money for a bus ticket out of the Keys (or a ride for them and their 3 dogs and 2 cats), because they got here and are now homeless and broke and can't get out.

So in keeping with this thread, one really needs to do your research before moving to Florida! Living here can be great, but it is not really at all like vacation unless you are independently wealthy.

If you can't live with cockroaches, mosquitoes, snakes, hurricanes, relentless humidity, high housing costs for coastal living, flooding, mold, lack of public transportation, or corrupt govt, DON'T MOVE TO FLORIDA! (Especially South Florida)

For me, those things are outweighed by the things I love about living where I do. But it's because I'm willing to deal with the bad along with the good, and am pretty easy to please. Picky people will easily find a lot of fault in Florida, probably more so than some other places in the country. But VERY picky people are not likely to be happy anywhere. I'm not picky at all, so I'm happy pretty much everywhere, even though I have a brain and can certainly see the flaws present in the places I live. They are there, but I can deal with them. I'd like to help make the places I live better, more efficient, safer, etc. But one thing about Florida is, people are more resistant and/or apathetic to change than in any other state I have lived previously, and the culture in the state tends to be far behind the trends. So don't move to Florida expecting to be able to change it!

If you can go with the flow and accept some hardships, Florida can be a great place to live - especially if you find the right town for your personality.

What I was mainly interested in was not what becomes of the homeless people and drifters or whatever, but why people who could actually afford to buy a house down in the Keys would be disillusioned. But you answered my main question for me, as well as a whole bunch I didn't ask, but on the whole, it was a great post and I thank you. The bit about people in South Florida being resistant to change is actually a plus for me, because that keeps new people from coming in and screwing the place up. The last thing I want to see is South Florida becoming another Los Angeles or some kind of a nanny-state. I moved down here to Homestead, knowing pretty much what to expect and I haven't been let down. -- except by cold fronts -- momentarily-- but then the greenery bounces back and we get the temps and humidity back again and I'm as happy as an alligator with a mouthful of poodles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida