U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: What "mindscape" is New Florida most like?
Wild West 2 2.41%
Heartland 2 2.41%
Dixie 13 15.66%
Yankeedom 11 13.25%
Cuba 0 0%
Meh, it's just Florida 55 66.27%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 02-15-2016, 01:05 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
6,072 posts, read 3,397,513 times
Reputation: 7715

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
A Cuban-American born and raised in Boston is certainly a Northerner or, more specifically, a New Englander, but they're certainly not a "Yankee," at least not in the traditional sense of the term.

My great-aunt's husband was a Yankee or, more affectionately, an "old Yankee." He was born in rural northwestern Rhode Island or northeastern Connecticut to a Mainline Protestant family of primarily English extraction who had already been residing in the United States for many generations as of the early 20th century.

To me and most other native New Englanders, that's a true "Yankee."

In New England, those who are descended from Irish, Italian, Portuguese, Polish, etc. ancestors don't typically consider or refer to themselves as "Yankees," but they do often apply that term to New Englanders descended from British (albeit mostly English) ancestors.

Perhaps you're not from New England or the South, so you're unfamiliar with the social meanings of the terms "Yankee" and "Southerner," but I can assure you that the previous poster, happiness-is-close, was not using the term "Southerner" in the literal sense, but rather describing the social meaning of the term and the embodiment of the concept of what it means to be Southern.

It just so happens that the term, "Southern," also doubles as the commonly applied demonym for people from that geographical region of the United States. Enter the confusion and disconnect, especially from outsiders.

There's slightly less confusion with regard to the term "Yankee" and the cultural embodiment it describes because "Yankee" is not the mainstream demonym for people from New England or other areas of the northern United States, at least outside of the South.

You have to really have grown up in at least a third or fourth-generation Southern American household to truly understand the embodiment of the cultural, religious and political Southern heritage to which that previous poster was referring. Ditto Yankee heritage for native New Englanders.

So again, a third-generation Italian-American born in Atlanta might be a Southerner, but that does not make them "Southern." Likewise, a second-generation Cuban-American born in Boston might be a Northerner or New Englander, but that certainly does not make them "Yankee" by stretch of the imagination.

Semantics, but you get the point.
Sorry to burst your bubble buddy, but it ain't the antebellum days no more. Times have changed. Thesouth has changed so has New England. To most people in the south, a "Yankee" means a person from the north, which can also include someone from say, North Dakota. Btw, to a foreigner, yankee is an American, to an American it means a northerner, to a northerner it means a New Englander, to a New Englander, a Vermonter, and to a Vermonter, someone who taps maple syrup

I know I'm not "old southern" but that doesn't matter. The south has evolved over the past 100 years. Guess what else. Black people don't have to sit in the back of the bus anymore either. A southerner is someone who grew up in the south, end of story. They are SOUTHERN and American. America is a welcoming melting pot of diversity, and the ones who try to keep it from being that are the bigots and xenophobes, and guess what, not all people down here are like that either.

Don't confuse "southern" with "country." Don't confuse it with "old school southern" either. America is not a culturally stagnant place. If that was the case, the only true northerners and southerners are the indigenous people.

 
Old 02-15-2016, 02:00 PM
 
1,444 posts, read 1,935,467 times
Reputation: 1164
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Sorry to burst your bubble buddy, but it ain't the antebellum days no more. Times have changed. Thesouth has changed so has New England. To most people in the south, a "Yankee" means a person from the north, which can also include someone from say, North Dakota. Btw, to a foreigner, yankee is an American, to an American it means a northerner, to a northerner it means a New Englander, to a New Englander, a Vermonter, and to a Vermonter, someone who taps maple syrup

I know I'm not "old southern" but that doesn't matter. The south has evolved over the past 100 years. Guess what else. Black people don't have to sit in the back of the bus anymore either. A southerner is someone who grew up in the south, end of story. They are SOUTHERN and American. America is a welcoming melting pot of diversity, and the ones who try to keep it from being that are the bigots and xenophobes, and guess what, not all people down here are like that either.

Don't confuse "southern" with "country." Don't confuse it with "old school southern" either. America is not a culturally stagnant place. If that was the case, the only true northerners and southerners are the indigenous people.
Why I do declare! How correct you are fine sir

People from the North seem to have this idea that the only place racism exists (or existed) is the South.

New England sea captains made fortunes on transporting people from Africa to to the Americas for slave labor. Plenty of racism to go around. The South had Jim Crow Laws yes and places like Illinois and Oregon had laws forbidding black people from settling in their territory (and there are still many places with very few if any black people, like Vermont and Northern Wisconsin.)

Legal segregation is 50 years in the past; today the most integrated metro areas are in the South and the most segregated metro areas are in the North
 
Old 02-15-2016, 03:14 PM
 
Location: Florida
2,233 posts, read 1,514,854 times
Reputation: 1861
Poll speaks for itself. End of story. It's just Florida, and we are just Floridians. Proud Floridian here. NOT a southerner!
 
Old 02-26-2016, 06:53 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
6,072 posts, read 3,397,513 times
Reputation: 7715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Poll speaks for itself. End of story. It's just Florida, and we are just Floridians. Proud Floridian here. NOT a southerner!
Yer still in the south, like it or not lol I dun care if you got a rebel flag and chew tobacco, if you've lived your whole life in Brainerd, MN, you're a northerner. Same goes for Florida. You can be the biggest hockey fan and .. whatever else northerners are famous for, but if you've lived your whole life in Florida, you're from the south, ergo, a southerner. I'm really curious what in your head, makes Florida stick out so much from the south. Can't be culture, because when you take out the transplants, Florida is more like Georgia than New Jersey, can't be the climate, I'm pretty sure it's hot and humid there, just like the rest of the south. It's not really a big state either. Texas can make a legitimate claim for 2 different regions, even try to claim it as a region for itself. Florida may be long but its tiny. That it is not stereotypically southern? Neither is Louisiana. It's not a border state like Kentucky. There is literally only one region it can belong to and regardless of culture, if you're from there, you're a southerner.

I wonder if I would be able to call myself a northerner after moving to Minnesota? Pretty sure in their eyes I'm a southerner, and pretty sure you're too. You're from the south, you're a southerner. You're born in Mexico, you're a Mexican. Bada bing, bada boom.
 
Old 02-27-2016, 06:54 PM
 
Location: FLORIDA
8,964 posts, read 6,274,491 times
Reputation: 3380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Poll speaks for itself. End of story. It's just Florida, and we are just Floridians. Proud Floridian here. NOT a southerner!


It depends on where in FL you are. We all know how much you want to separate yourself and the state from being southern. I drove from Oviedo to NSB today, it would have been hell for you.
 
Old 02-28-2016, 04:07 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
6,072 posts, read 3,397,513 times
Reputation: 7715
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
It depends on where in FL you are. We all know how much you want to separate yourself and the state from being southern. I drove from Oviedo to NSB today, it would have been hell for you.
Haven't you heard? President Obama has shrunk the size of Florida to only include Granny Muriel from New Jersey's condo. The rest is no longer Florida but rather a black hole full of gators!
 
Old 02-28-2016, 06:44 PM
 
893 posts, read 557,239 times
Reputation: 352
To me Florida is the South, but also its own thing at the same time. Similar to Texas.
 
Old 04-28-2016, 03:27 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
6,072 posts, read 3,397,513 times
Reputation: 7715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majami View Post
To me Florida is the South, but also its own thing at the same time. Similar to Texas.

Just got back home from Miami. Really made me realise that Florida is really NOT that different from the rest of the south. Ocoee and up, everyone has southern accents. That's the Peninsula, not the Panhandle. Also.. TX, LA, MS, AL and FL... guess how many states we saw rebel flags...

2..

Florida and Mississippi. And in Mississippi, the flags I saw were on the state flag, and on one magnet in a truck stuff. In Florida? I saw them on yards, in bumper stickers, in souvenir shops.. er'where!
 
Old 04-28-2016, 05:00 PM
 
Location: Florida
2,233 posts, read 1,514,854 times
Reputation: 1861
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Just got back home from Miami. Really made me realise that Florida is really NOT that different from the rest of the south. Ocoee and up, everyone has southern accents. That's the Peninsula, not the Panhandle. Also.. TX, LA, MS, AL and FL... guess how many states we saw rebel flags...

2..

Florida and Mississippi. And in Mississippi, the flags I saw were on the state flag, and on one magnet in a truck stuff. In Florida? I saw them on yards, in bumper stickers, in souvenir shops.. er'where!
Okay now go back to Texas, BYE!! And shame on whoever flies that symbol of slavery and betrayal. As the southerners dwindle more and more they scream that flag louder and louder.

And everyone in ocoee and up has Southern accents? That's funny! That a western suburb of Orlando, saturated to the brim with NORTHERN transplants, and EVERYONE has a southern accent. Funny, considering not even everyone I met in Texas had a southern accent. Get a life, seriously.
 
Old 04-29-2016, 04:37 AM
 
10,575 posts, read 10,864,920 times
Reputation: 5225
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Just got back home from Miami. Really made me realise that Florida is really NOT that different from the rest of the south. Ocoee and up, everyone has southern accents. That's the Peninsula, not the Panhandle. Also.. TX, LA, MS, AL and FL... guess how many states we saw rebel flags...

2..

Florida and Mississippi. And in Mississippi, the flags I saw were on the state flag, and on one magnet in a truck stuff. In Florida? I saw them on yards, in bumper stickers, in souvenir shops.. er'where!
You obviously didn't get out enough, Orlando is not the deep south
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:48 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top