U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What "mindscape" is New Florida most like?
Wild West 2 2.41%
Heartland 2 2.41%
Dixie 13 15.66%
Yankeedom 11 13.25%
Cuba 0 0%
Meh, it's just Florida 55 66.27%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 09:26 PM

18,633 posts, read 27,056,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Speak for yourself. I don't have anything in common with people from Georgia or Mississippi. West coast people I fit in very well with.
You are actually speaking for yourself now. But Floridians do not have more in common with Oregonians and Washingtonians than they do with Mississippians and Alabamans. I've very sorry to inform you of this.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:38 PM

8,964 posts, read 6,260,732 times
Quote:
Speak for yourself. I don't have anything in common with people from Georgia or Mississippi. West coast people I fit in very well with.
How would you know? Nothing in common with ppl from Georgia or Mississippi? How would you possibly know these things?

Old 05-10-2016, 11:40 AM

2,233 posts, read 1,512,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
You are actually speaking for yourself now. But Floridians do not have more in common with Oregonians and Washingtonians than they do with Mississippians and Alabamans. I've very sorry to inform you of this.
You inform me of nothing. I, and the vast majority of my friends, most of whom have northern and international backgrounds, am going to find much more in common with the northwest than we do with the two most socially backwards states in our nation.

Old 05-10-2016, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
How would you know? Nothing in common with ppl from Georgia or Mississippi? How would you possibly know these things?
I lived in Georgia. Completely different world from Florida. And I lived in midtown Atlanta, not some backwoods part of the state.

Old 05-10-2016, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Thankfully you DO NOT speak for all 20 million Floridians.
I speak for most of them.

Old 05-10-2016, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I mean lol. Look at this video. Doesn't it remind you of Astoria?
https://youtu.be/_RsCO7517Jk?t=76

I had family that lived just south of Clewiston in Harlem. You tell them they have more in common with Walla Walla than they do with Hattiesburg and they'd cry with laughter. In that video I posted, I think this dude is actually Haitian. Yet when he speaks English, he doesn't sound all that different from other Black Southerners.
I have no interest in watching that whole video, I think I get what you are saying.

But no offense, you are kind of the example that black people have almost identical culture wherever they live in the country. That's why Atlanta is still so southern, because most of its northern transplants are African American American.

I know for a fact that most Carribean Americans do not consider themselves "southerners". Your family is different from every other Carribean family I have met.

Old 05-10-2016, 12:14 PM

1,444 posts, read 1,932,017 times
Quote:
You inform me of nothing. I, and the vast majority of my friends, most of whom have northern and international backgrounds, am going to find much more in common with the northwest than we do with the two most socially backwards states in our nation.
You are so VERY sophisticated, smart, open minded and tolerant! And of course the only people that hold those attributes are from the North, West or Internationally... the only backward, ignorant, stupid and dirty people in the world are in the American South( excepting Florida.)

Rural areas of Oregon would probably be very similar to Mississippi, without Black People

Old 05-10-2016, 12:23 PM

12,135 posts, read 13,251,905 times
You don't have to been born in "the south" to be a southerner.

A person from Memphis TN who moves to NYC is a "new yorker" just as someone moving from NYC to Memphis TYN is a southerner.

Old 05-10-2016, 12:38 PM

Quote:
I have no interest in watching that whole video, I think I get what you are saying.

But no offense, you are kind of the example that black people have almost identical culture wherever they live in the country. That's why Atlanta is still so southern, because most of its northern transplants are African American American.

I know for a fact that most Carribean Americans do not consider themselves "southerners". Your family is different from every other Carribean family I have met.
The people in that video is not my family. Some of the people in that video is from the Caribbean themselves. You would see this if you watched the video in its entirety as the person showing you around started to speak creole. Many Caribbean blacks do indeed consider themselves Southern. One thing they do not consider themselves as is Northern and ESPECIALLY Western. Again, where in this video does it remind you of anything of the West Coast and Pacific Northwest? My family is also not from the Caribbean.

Old 05-10-2016, 12:40 PM

Quote:
There are twelve states that are known as the South with Florida being one of them. Why are you so centered around only two of them? The South is just more than Mississippi and Alabama. But you try telling me Belle Glade, Immokalee, and Orlando has more in common with Medford and Portland than it does with Mobile and Dothan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or