U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What "mindscape" is New Florida most like?
Wild West 2 2.41%
Heartland 2 2.41%
Dixie 13 15.66%
Yankeedom 11 13.25%
Cuba 0 0%
Meh, it's just Florida 55 66.27%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 08:46 AM

18,594 posts, read 26,961,087 times

Advertisements

The majority of Blacks in Florida are Black American. You have a larger Caribbean population, but the vast majority is still Black American. Many with lineages to Georgia and South Carolina. Also, you cannot compare Atlanta but am entire portion of one state.

Old 05-11-2016, 02:37 PM

5,176 posts, read 3,450,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Different on so many levels.

1) Different ancestries. Atlanta is mostly southern, British, African American. Florida is Germans, Irish, Italian, Jewish, Polish, Jamaican, Haitian, Trinidad. Atlantas small Hispanic community is mostly Mexican. Florida has the 3rd largest and most diverse Hispanic community in the country - Cuban, Puerto Rican, Mexican, Dominican, South American, etc.

2) different religion. Atlanta is very southern Protestant and it shows. Even the gay community there is religious or was raised very religious so that mindset sticks. Florida is mostly non practicing Roman Catholics, with a huge batch of people who are atheist or agnostic.

3) different accents. Atlanta has a lot of southern drawls. Florida talks neutral, except for some areas of Miami that have their own accent.

4) different politics. Florida is a socially liberal state with very socially liberal cities. Atlanta is a somewhat liberal city surrounded by stanch conservatism.

5) different social parameters. This was one of the things most apparent to me. Southerners are more personal. Some people like it, some people don't. I often found myself telling people to mind their own business in Atlanta because they ask too many questions about my personal life.

And before someone spouts off about floridas sparsely populated panhandle, remember this thread is about the Florida peninsula.
And yet more proof (yet again) that you are not qualified to speak on ANYTHING related to Atlanta, at all.

I'm beginning to question if you've ever even been here, let alone lived here (twice, as you claim).

Old 05-11-2016, 04:05 PM

9,532 posts, read 6,513,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
The majority of Blacks in Florida are Black American. You have a larger Caribbean population, but the vast majority is still Black American. Many with lineages to Georgia and South Carolina. Also, you cannot compare Atlanta but am entire portion of one state.
Florida in general, yes, but I am willing to say the majority of blacks in Orlando (yes, myself included) are of Caribbean descent. Pine Hills, a working-class community rampant with the crime you'd expect from a predominantly poor black area, is vastly Caribbean. And then more affluent areas like Heathrow, Stoneybrook and Winter Garden, parts of Windermere, are filled with blacks of Caribbean descent. I speak for Orlando because I live here, but am very well travelled and am NOT from here.

Today I had an assignment that spanned from Lake City to Alachua, and had to do some field checks; now THAT felt like the deep South. Blacks were American blacks. Whites were more redneck-ish (not a bad thing BTW) and ALL were super friendly and hospitable. Florida as a whole is a huge melting pot; to say Orlando is "Southern in Culture," and comparable to,say, Mobile, is wildly false.

Old 05-11-2016, 07:37 PM

10,576 posts, read 10,800,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
And yet more proof (yet again) that you are not qualified to speak on ANYTHING related to Atlanta, at all.

I'm beginning to question if you've ever even been here, let alone lived here (twice, as you claim).
I don't he/she is qualified to speak about FL either. Or certainly isn't a socially liberal state in the way a state like ca or co is

Old 05-11-2016, 08:42 PM

2,233 posts, read 1,503,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
I don't he/she is qualified to speak about FL either. Or certainly isn't a socially liberal state in the way a state like ca or co is
Florida is VERY socially liberal. Fiscally, it's more of a mix, but social conservatives are even ostracized in our states major cities.

Old 05-11-2016, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Colorado is actually very very conservative outside of Denver. Shows how much you know. Headquarters of the Focus on the family ring a bell???

Old 05-12-2016, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Florida is VERY socially liberal. Fiscally, it's more of a mix, but social conservatives are even ostracized in our states major cities.
No, it isn't. It's just like every other State - socially liberal near several urban cores, a mix of liberal and conservative leaning in the suburbs and mostly conservative in the rural areas.

You don't know your own State very well, but you sure would love impose your views on 20 million people. It's not the reality on the ground, and everyone knows it.

Florida is not Long Island, no matter how hard you wish it was.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Colorado is actually very very conservative outside of Denver. Shows how much you know. Headquarters of the Focus on the family ring a bell???
No, it isn't. You don't know Colorado very well either.

Colorado Springs is the home of Focus on Family, and it IS conservative overall. But even they have liberal pockets, and some progressive things going on. Just because FoF is there, do you think that makes the entire Metro conservative?

LOL! You really need to stop spouting off on things you know nothing of.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
No, it isn't. It's just like every other State - socially liberal near several urban cores, a mix of liberal and conservative leaning in the suburbs and mostly conservative in the rural areas.

You don't know your own State very well, but you sure would love impose your views on 20 million people. It's not the reality on the ground, and everyone knows it.

Florida is not Long Island, no matter how hard you wish it was.
I know my state very well. I have lived here most of my life, save a few instances like my unfortunate experiences in Atlanta.

No, Florida isn't Long Island. I never even said that. I said Florida IS NOT Southern. And most floridians are insulted to be referred to as such. Florida is its own cultural niche.

Old 05-13-2016, 04:26 AM

10,576 posts, read 10,800,889 times
Quote:
Colorado was one of the first states to legalize marijuana for recreational use. Doesn't really scream bible belt conservatism to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or