U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What "mindscape" is New Florida most like?
Wild West 2 2.41%
Heartland 2 2.41%
Dixie 13 15.66%
Yankeedom 11 13.25%
Cuba 0 0%
Meh, it's just Florida 55 66.27%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 05:23 AM

122 posts, read 78,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Southern doesn't equal redneck. And if you think that is what I was referring to you are far mistaken. Southern is a whole ethnic, religious, cultural embodiment. It has nothing to do with hunting, outdoorsy stuff. Wisconsin and Michigan are more redneck than most southern states.

Cuban Americans aren't "southern". Southern is a cultural, religious, ethnic, and political background, and Cubans are not part of that.

Not former inhabitants in large cities that left decades ago, but deep in Cuban countryside you find "Guajiros".

Guajiros might not be southeners, but they are rednecks.

Sort of Cajuns, very similar to Spanish speaking Cajuns in the Mississipi delta. Their language is exactly the same.

Old 05-13-2016, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
The majority of Blacks in Florida are Black American. You have a larger Caribbean population, but the vast majority is still Black American. Many with lineages to Georgia and South Carolina. Also, you cannot compare Atlanta but am entire portion of one state.

Most blacks in southern Florida came originally from Bahamas. They were brought to build the city and railway 100 years ago.

Old 05-13-2016, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
I see what you are saying bert but I dont agree with that in terms of the south. the southern aristocracy was alot more diverse than the early puritans to new england. it included french ,spanish, creole, huguenots, sephardic jews in charleston ,new orleans alone was home to numerous races in the aristocracy. It was a much more diverse society in power than what is in power today

this was true across the caribbean and south america. there was a plan actually hatched that had the south joining the caribbean and parts of south america after the civil war. So much of the south had connections to the caribbean and latin america
Cuban Filibuster Movement, Cuban sugar industrialists and slave holders wanted the annexation.

An invasion was organized, Robert E. Lee was to be the leader, Narciso López....1850, but the US government prevented the expedition because they wanted no quarrel with Spain..at that time. There were other attempts. Spanish is still spoken in Louisiana.

Old 05-13-2016, 07:57 AM

2,233 posts, read 1,514,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Colorado was one of the first states to legalize marijuana for recreational use. Doesn't really scream bible belt conservatism to me.
And neither does Florida. It is only for the sake of old people flooding our polls during off year elections that we even have a republican government. And he only won 51% of the vote against a very week candidate.

Old 05-13-2016, 08:00 AM

1,444 posts, read 1,934,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joachim1000 View Post
Cuban Filibuster Movement, Cuban sugar industrialists and slave holders wanted the annexation.

An invasion was organized, Robert E. Lee was to be the leader, Narciso López....1850, but the US government prevented the expedition because they wanted no quarrel with Spain..at that time. There were other attempts. Spanish is still spoken in Louisiana.

St Bernard Parish was the center of Isleno culture. Many government officials now have Spanish surnames. St Bernard was devestated by Katrina. Their ancestors came from the Canary Islands, which is where many Spanish Immigrants to Cuba and Puerto Rico originated.

Spanish place names are pretty common in Louisiana... Gonzalez, Marerro named for early settlers of LA. Marerro was named for a guy who was a general in the Confederate Army if I am not mistaken... But he was not a Southerner apparently.

Another tangent about Cajuns... the original stock was Acadian French who came from Canada, but there were Germans, Spanish, Native Americans, Caribbean French and African who got mixed into the "Cajuns"

Last edited by jwolfer; 05-13-2016 at 08:19 AM..

Old 05-13-2016, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Colorado was one of the first states to legalize marijuana for recreational use. Doesn't really scream bible belt conservatism to me.
Not to mention Florida is plurality CATHOLIC. Not that Protestant craziness you find in the Bible Belt. Florida has a lot of atheist/agnostic people too most of whose are of Catholic background like myself.

Last edited by Happiness-is-close; 05-13-2016 at 08:13 AM..

Old 05-13-2016, 09:22 AM

10,575 posts, read 10,860,316 times
Quote:
And neither does Florida. It is only for the sake of old people flooding our polls during off year elections that we even have a republican government. And he only won 51% of the vote against a very week candidate.
Hence why I consider FL a PURPLE/MODERATE state, not a strong liberal one like you said before.

Old 05-13-2016, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Hence why I consider FL a PURPLE/MODERATE state, not a strong liberal one like you said before.
I said SOCIALLY liberal. As in the people here have some pretty progressive mindsets on gay rights, etc. I know that fiscally it is more mixed. Even our major cities have some fairly fiscally conservative leanings.

Old 05-13-2016, 09:58 AM

1,444 posts, read 1,934,515 times
Quote:
Not to mention Florida is plurality CATHOLIC. Not that Protestant craziness you find in the Bible Belt. Florida has a lot of atheist/agnostic people too most of whose are of Catholic background like myself.
Although you equate "Southern" with, Bible-Thumping, snake-handling, speaking in tounges Protestantism. The Roman Catholic Church was influential in the old South. The vast majority of Catholics in the US the Northeastern and Midwestern cities had ancestors who arrived after the 1880s. The only area of the US that was heavily Catholic in 1860 was around New Orleans and Catholicism had spread along the Gulf Coast into to your most reviled states of Mississippi and Alabama. Most Catholics at the time in the Northeast were recent poor laborer Irish refugees from the potato famine, not very influential at all in the North

Furthermore several prominent Maryland families were Catholic. (Although Maryland is today considered more of a Northeastern State it was from colonial days up to the early 20th century very Southern. Baltimore was put under martial law to prevent secession) And much of the aristocracy of the South was "high church Episcopalian" also known as Anglo-Catholic.

I know you HATE all things Southern and could not imagine having anything in common with anyone from Mississippi. The South was historically much more diverse than you think.

Interesting article about Catholicism and the old South. Catholicism and the Old South | Catholicism.org

Old 05-13-2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolfer View Post
Although you equate "Southern" with, Bible-Thumping, snake-handling, speaking in tounges Protestantism. The Roman Catholic Church was influential in the old South. The vast majority of Catholics in the US the Northeastern and Midwestern cities had ancestors who arrived after the 1880s. The only area of the US that was heavily Catholic in 1860 was around New Orleans and Catholicism had spread along the Gulf Coast into to your most reviled states of Mississippi and Alabama. Most Catholics at the time in the Northeast were recent poor laborer Irish refugees from the potato famine, not very influential at all in the North

Furthermore several prominent Maryland families were Catholic. (Although Maryland is today considered more of a Northeastern State it was from colonial days up to the early 20th century very Southern. Baltimore was put under martial law to prevent secession) And much of the aristocracy of the South was "high church Episcopalian" also known as Anglo-Catholic.

I know you HATE all things Southern and could not imagine having anything in common with anyone from Mississippi. The South was historically much more diverse than you think.

Interesting article about Catholicism and the old South. Catholicism and the Old South | Catholicism.org

My aunt studied in a Catholic boarding school in Birmingham during the 40's. My father in a Catholic boarding school in Florida, St.Leo College. German monks, he studied with Lee Marvin.

Lots of Hispanics in the Confederate Army.

Last edited by joachim1000; 05-13-2016 at 11:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or