U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What "mindscape" is New Florida most like?
Wild West 2 2.41%
Heartland 2 2.41%
Dixie 13 15.66%
Yankeedom 11 13.25%
Cuba 0 0%
Meh, it's just Florida 55 66.27%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 12:36 PM

1,037 posts, read 615,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
All those cities you mention are still mostly southern. Atlanta in particular gets the bulk of its transplants from other southern states. And those cities you mentioned are all surrounded by a sea of Southern.

Most of floridas transplants are from the north and Latin America, very few are from the American south. Those Koreans in Atlanta will probably be southernized over time. Florida is moving in a much different direction and has been for nearly 100 years.
Actually, the majority of Atlanta transplants are from the NE, which you can confirm by researching yourself. But you missed the point I was making. Your image of the south is a bunch of bumbo **** red necks who don't embrace culture and progressivism. While this may be true for some good ole boys living in the backwoods of Mississippi, a good part of the south (including Florida) has been changing dramatically for the last several decades. You have to accept it for what it is. Heck, an argument can be made now that Austin is now more liberal than Boston.

Culturally, Florida is unique for sure. just embrace it. New Orleans is unique. Memphis is unique. Nashville is unique. Dallas, Houston, Savannah, Charleston, Richmond, etc etc are unique. Classical southern culture is disappearing from a lot of southern cities, but that doesn't remove these places geographically from the south. Call it what you will. Most geographers refer to it as the New South.

Old 05-15-2016, 01:56 PM

8,964 posts, read 6,278,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
All those cities you mention are still mostly southern. Atlanta in particular gets the bulk of its transplants from other southern states. And those cities you mentioned are all surrounded by a sea of Southern.

Most of floridas transplants are from the north and Latin America, very few are from the American south. Those Koreans in Atlanta will probably be southernized over time. Florida is moving in a much different direction and has been for nearly 100 years.
Atl must be doing something right. Most of the folks I know there are from FL. Fla attracts different types of ppl than Ga and NC. Fla is a rental car.

Old 05-15-2016, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -thomass View Post
Actually, the majority of Atlanta transplants are from the NE, which you can confirm by researching yourself. But you missed the point I was making. Your image of the south is a bunch of bumbo **** red necks who don't embrace culture and progressivism. While this may be true for some good ole boys living in the backwoods of Mississippi, a good part of the south (including Florida) has been changing dramatically for the last several decades. You have to accept it for what it is. Heck, an argument can be made now that Austin is now more liberal than Boston.

Culturally, Florida is unique for sure. just embrace it. New Orleans is unique. Memphis is unique. Nashville is unique. Dallas, Houston, Savannah, Charleston, Richmond, etc etc are unique. Classical southern culture is disappearing from a lot of southern cities, but that doesn't remove these places geographically from the south. Call it what you will. Most geographers refer to it as the New South.
I agree. When I visit friends in Alpharetta. I don't feel at all like I'm in backwoods Mississippi at all. To me it feels like a prettier, hilly Lake Mary.

Old 05-15-2016, 03:11 PM

10,575 posts, read 10,869,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
Atl must be doing something right. Most of the folks I know there are from FL. Fla attracts different types of ppl than Ga and NC. Fla is a rental car.
Rental?

That's why FL surpasses NY recently to become the third most-populated state in the country

Old 05-15-2016, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Rental?

That's why FL surpasses NY recently to become the third most-populated state in the country
Transient. In and out, in and out.

Old 05-15-2016, 03:20 PM

5,187 posts, read 5,695,272 times
Quote:

Yep, you are right the best and it is getting better.

Old 05-15-2016, 03:22 PM

4,852 posts, read 9,003,863 times
Quote:
More like how people treat rental cars. At first, I thought you were using an euphemism for prostitutes?

Old 05-15-2016, 05:05 PM

10,575 posts, read 10,869,979 times
Quote:
Sounds like it's more in and in if you look at the statistics. Northeast has been losing population to the sunbelt for decades, FL is one of the states people have moved to

Old 05-15-2016, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
Yep, you are right the best and it is getting better.
The best ppl? Hahaha. Surely you're kidding.

Old 05-15-2016, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Sounds like it's more in and in if you look at the statistics. Northeast has been losing population to the sunbelt for decades, FL is one of the states people have moved to
There's more people moving in than out obviously, thus, population growth. I get that. It does seem that a lot of people I meet want to leave, have already left, or already have plans to leave. Not usually the people that just got here, but the people that have been here for a while. Fla is very transient, outside of Nevada, I think it's the most transient, last I remember reading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or