Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What "mindscape" is New Florida most like?
Wild West 2 2.41%
Heartland 2 2.41%
Dixie 13 15.66%
Yankeedom 11 13.25%
Cuba 0 0%
Meh, it's just Florida 55 66.27%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 08:49 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,572,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joachim1000 View Post
And really..I would invite those "native Floridians" to read history, they would discover they are very recent transplants.

The only real Floridians are Seminole, they are from Northern Florida. Second come Spanish and Minorcan descendants, then English settlers that left because they hated "colonials". Not southern, never was.

Read about Seminole wars, Pensacola, San Agustin, Jackson and don't "create history".

Old Florida? Incredible!!
The original people of Northeast Florida were the Timacua... they died off from European disease. Seminoles were mainly displaced Creek Indians who moved into what was then a relatively unpopulated Florida

Old 05-16-2016, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
My Catholic ancestors arrived in the Midwest as early as the 1850s from Germany. Irish Catholics started coming over in the 1830s and heavily in the 1840s. So no, the north was Catholic quite a bit before the 1880s

And a lot of people from New Orleans don't feel connected to the Deep South either. Just saying. That topic pops up every now and then on the general forum.

Places change. Florida's peninsula is no longer "southern". It's a stretch to ever even call it southern because it was vastly unpopulated prior to the 1920s because of no AC. From the 1920s onward northerners started flocking here by the masses and supplanting whatever small degree of southern culture there was.

You just HATE the South and Southerners... You fancy yourself as an open minded progressive but you prejudge an entire region of the country and think the way they talk is stupid etc. Hardly the traits of an open minded progressive. And when an area of the South does not fit your prejudices your answer is " well that area is really is not 'the South'" ...

Florida whether you like it or not is historically part of the South, large parts of the state are very "Southern" to this day. And no its not just uninhabited swampy areas of the panhandle. And even though you dont like it there is vestiges of the South in places like Ft Lauderdale and Miami.

Irish and German Catholics were obviously the start of the large waves of Catholic immigrants in the 1840s and 50s.( gangs of New York were draft riots by the mostly Irish Catholics) The 1860s were the time of Civil War so immigration was not a big factor in that decade. In the 1880s is when the massive immigration came from Southern and Eastern Europe and the Middle East bringing the massive number of Roman Catholics, and even some Orthodox Christians. Incidentally that is the timeframe a set of my Great Grandparents came from Ukraine

Last edited by jwolfer; 05-16-2016 at 09:46 AM..

Old 05-16-2016, 12:08 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,933,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolfer View Post
You just HATE the South and Southerners... You fancy yourself as an open minded progressive but you prejudge an entire region of the country and think the way they talk is stupid etc. Hardly the traits of an open minded progressive. And when an area of the South does not fit your prejudices your answer is " well that area is really is not 'the South'" ...

Florida whether you like it or not is historically part of the South, large parts of the state are very "Southern" to this day. And no its not just uninhabited swampy areas of the panhandle. And even though you dont like it there is vestiges of the South in places like Ft Lauderdale and Miami.

Irish and German Catholics were obviously the start of the large waves of Catholic immigrants in the 1840s and 50s.( gangs of New York were draft riots by the mostly Irish Catholics) The 1860s were the time of Civil War so immigration was not a big factor in that decade. In the 1880s is when the massive immigration came from Southern and Eastern Europe and the Middle East bringing the massive number of Roman Catholics, and even some Orthodox Christians. Incidentally that is the timeframe a set of my Great Grandparents came from Ukraine
Best post of the entire thread, and so very true!

Old 05-16-2016, 03:40 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
There's more people moving in than out obviously, thus, population growth. I get that. It does seem that a lot of people I meet want to leave, have already left, or already have plans to leave. Not usually the people that just got here, but the people that have been here for a while. Fla is very transient, outside of Nevada, I think it's the most transient, last I remember reading.
So if the state has been growing for decades, logically, you're just unlucky enough to meet the minority of people leaving

Old 05-16-2016, 04:59 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,119,019 times
Quote:

I don't hate the South or Southern culture. I dislike some aspects of it, but the point is that Florida just isn't part of any of it. and there isn't a trace of southern culture in ft. Lauderdale or Miami. There is hardly a trace of southern culture throughout the whole peninsula. Tampa and Orlando don't have it either.

Old 05-16-2016, 06:14 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,933,624 times
You can grits with breakfast from Pensacola to Key West.

Case closed.

Old 05-16-2016, 09:18 PM

17,184 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
You can grits with breakfast from Pensacola to Key West.

Case closed.
You can get grits with breakfast from Key West to Albany... :/

Old 05-17-2016, 07:02 AM

Quote:
I don't hate the South or Southern culture. I dislike some aspects of it, but the point is that Florida just isn't part of any of it. and there isn't a trace of southern culture in ft. Lauderdale or Miami. There is hardly a trace of southern culture throughout the whole peninsula. Tampa and Orlando don't have it either.
You just don't want to see it. I am not saying it is like Little Rock, Arkansas, but it can still be found. You are blinded by your prejudices and feelings of superiority. God forbid you have anything Southern associated with your home state.

I can tell you have not spend much time away from the coast of Florida. Places like LaBelle, Arcadia right in the middle of the peninsula in Southern Florida would not be mistaken for New England or the Upper Midwest

Old 05-17-2016, 10:03 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,119,019 times
Quote:
You just don't want to see it. I am not saying it is like Little Rock, Arkansas, but it can still be found. You are blinded by your prejudices and feelings of superiority. God forbid you have anything Southern associated with your home state.

I can tell you have not spend much time away from the coast of Florida. Places like LaBelle, Arcadia right in the middle of the peninsula in Southern Florida would not be mistaken for New England or the Upper Midwest
It's so annoying when people are like "look at small town in the middle of nowhere with the heroin epidemic" and use that to justify a states Southerness.

No, I don't visit those towns often. Why would I?

Old 05-17-2016, 12:46 PM

Quote:
It's so annoying when people are like "look at small town in the middle of nowhere with the heroin epidemic" and use that to justify a states Southerness.

No, I don't visit those towns often. Why would I?
You want it both ways... Florida isn't Southern in the peninsula at all... but dont look at the small towns because they are ugly and there is lots of crime and drugs there... They are poorer towns in agricultural areas that have not been overrun by people moving in from out of state.

Just because you don't go somewhere doesn't negate their existence.

You may not know a lot of "culturally Southern people" in your part of Florida, but because it is not your experience doesn't mean everyone has the same experience. I am from a 7 generation Florida( from the peninsula FWIW, Alachua, Marion, Clay, Citrus, Duval and Putnam Counties) family, my experience of Florida is very "Southern" even more so since i grew up in NJ; I didnt know many Cubans in north and central Florida and I would be a fool to say that Cubans have absolutely nothing to do with Florida.

Florida has been impacted by the millions who have moved here from other states and countries. Adding to what was already here. Florida was a small Southern state and some aspects of that remain( good and bad)

The heroin epidemic is sadly in all areas of the country, if you have money your are sent to rehab, if you are poor you go to jail
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida