U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What "mindscape" is New Florida most like?
Wild West 2 2.41%
Heartland 2 2.41%
Dixie 13 15.66%
Yankeedom 11 13.25%
Cuba 0 0%
Meh, it's just Florida 55 66.27%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 07:29 PM

8,964 posts, read 6,256,948 times

Advertisements

One of the biggest churches I've ever seen is a Baptist church in Central FL. Not sure where you live but church is a part of many lives here, just like other states in the south. Most of the people we know go to church, mostly non denominational or Protestant of some sort.

I think because you're so against everything southern, for some reason, you are trying to convince yourself that FL is so much different. Sure it's not Mississippi, but neither is NC or VA.

If you don't thin there is ignorance, racism, etc in FL you are most certainly kidding yourself. In some ways I think FL is very backwards. It's not exactly a hot bed for the sophisticated, educated geniuses you make it out to be. Sorry.

Old 05-19-2016, 09:17 PM

2,233 posts, read 1,511,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
One of the biggest churches I've ever seen is a Baptist church in Central FL. Not sure where you live but church is a part of many lives here, just like other states in the south. Most of the people we know go to church, mostly non denominational or Protestant of some sort.

I think because you're so against everything southern, for some reason, you are trying to convince yourself that FL is so much different. Sure it's not Mississippi, but neither is NC or VA.

If you don't thin there is ignorance, racism, etc in FL you are most certainly kidding yourself. In some ways I think FL is very backwards. It's not exactly a hot bed for the sophisticated, educated geniuses you make it out to be. Sorry.
"The biggest church" you have ever seen doesn't mean a thing. There are mega churches in South Korea, a country that is mostly non-religious and Buddhist. Can't change the facts no matter how big a megachurch you see. Catholics outnumber southern baptist in Florida by a long shot, even including the very baptist panhandle.

Florida is its own thing. North Carolina can say it's it's own thing as well if it wants. I don't care what it calls itself. But North Carolina is WAY more southern baptist than Florida is. You can see that in my link provided before.

Old 05-20-2016, 06:16 AM

And Catholics are better than Baptists how? Making national news?

Old 05-20-2016, 08:10 AM

2,233 posts, read 1,511,307 times
Quote:
And Catholics are better than Baptists how? Making national news?
They aren't "better", but they are different. And Catholics do in the present day trend more progressive, even if church policy says not to be.

Old 05-20-2016, 11:25 AM

5,891 posts, read 2,737,559 times
Default Here you go ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
"The biggest church" you have ever seen doesn't mean a thing. There are mega churches in South Korea, a country that is mostly non-religious and Buddhist. Can't change the facts no matter how big a megachurch you see. Catholics outnumber southern baptist in Florida by a long shot, even including the very baptist panhandle.

Florida is its own thing. North Carolina can say it's it's own thing as well if it wants. I don't care what it calls itself. But North Carolina is WAY more southern baptist than Florida is. You can see that in my link provided before.

http://maps.unomaha.edu/Peterson/geo...urchbodies.gif

Old 05-20-2016, 03:42 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,395,049 times
That map isn't accurate, it is focused on Christian denominations and nothing else. If it showed other choices, Hawaii would not show up as any kind of Christian sect and most places would fall in the don't care or not religious category.

Old 05-20-2016, 04:41 PM

Quote:
They aren't "better", but they are different. And Catholics do in the present day trend more progressive, even if church policy says not to be.
How about those priests tho?

Old 05-20-2016, 04:57 PM

12,135 posts, read 13,247,972 times
Quote:
How about those priests tho?
Dude... they are being progressive.

Old 05-20-2016, 06:41 PM

18,633 posts, read 27,047,623 times
Quote:
You are very wrong. The overwhelming majority of floridas transplants come from the North. New York is the largest sender by far followed by Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan. Florida gets very, very few southern transplants. And the largest "southern" sender is Virginia. A state that isn't all that southern today either. Then you have the one third of the state is Hispanic with recent ties to Latin America or northern states like New York (Puerto Ricans).

I don't know what part of central Florida you live in, but it must not be the Orlando or Tampa metro areas. Every single thing you said is so off course from the truth.

And as a gay man, I am SO happy I live in a state that is NOT southern cultured. Seeing the nonsense coming out of North Carolina, Mississippi, and almost Georgia and Tennessee makes me sick. That crap isn't tolerated here.

As for religion, that 40% "Protestant" figure includes Lutherans and Methodists. Two faiths found in very large numbers in the north. The southern baptist chuch is tiny in Florida.
Is there a link to this? I find it hard to believe more Virginians move to Florida than Georgians.

Old 05-20-2016, 07:03 PM

469 posts, read 417,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Is there a link to this? I find it hard to believe more Virginians move to Florida than Georgians.
According to this, the highest migration from Southern states is indeed Georgia.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...n.html#Florida

He is correct in that there are more people moving there from the NE and Midwest (recently), but his assertion that there are "very, very few" people moving to Florida from other states in the South is false. There's quite a bit if this information is correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or