U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What "mindscape" is New Florida most like?
Wild West 2 2.41%
Heartland 2 2.41%
Dixie 13 15.66%
Yankeedom 11 13.25%
Cuba 0 0%
Meh, it's just Florida 55 66.27%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 03:18 PM

8,964 posts, read 6,228,690 times

Advertisements

Ok, tell me one story that happened in the South that couldn't/wouldn't happen in FL?

Old 05-24-2016, 08:37 AM

1,444 posts, read 1,924,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
The social politics coming out of the south up to this very present day don't help its reputation in my eyes, personally. The racism, bigotry, homophobia, etc.

But it isn't about how I personally feel about southern culture. It has to do with that Florida just isn't "Southern". I have actually discussed this thread with some friends and family (since it has taken up so much of my time), and even those who like southern culture agree that Florida is "just Florida" and that it is not southern. Several people honestly have even responded with humor when discussing this thread because in their mind Florida quite far away from a southern identity.

And FYI I never called Florida "northern" like New Jersey either. Florida is its own cultural niche in our nation. And the number of Catholics in the pre WWII south was TINY, and heavily centured in the southern Louisiana area (which I like a lot actually). Even today the small catholic percentage in the south consists of recent Hispanic immigrants. Florida on the other hand has a large number of European and Latin American descended Catholics. And it has since at least the 1880s when Cubans started arriving in the Tampa area.

And you like South Louisiana so its not REALLY Southern in your mind. Bad=Southern. If you like it; it therefore can not be Southern.

You are not alone in your prejudice against the South. It is pervasive in the media. Any villain, ignorant racist, uneducated dolt seems to have a Southern accent, even if the story is set in Seattle. ('squeal like a pig' anyone).

The South is more varied than many realize, both historically and now.

Florida is unique. But to deny that there is anything Southern about the state is just myopic. Granted if you spend your time in Miami Beach, Boca Raton or Sarasota you would be hard pressed to find obvious Southern influence, but it is there. And you are from SW Florida from what I gather, your friends and family have a similar background to you, transplants themselves or the children/grand-children of Northern transplants.

I am the child of a native Floridian(many generation) and a New Jerseyan. If I polled my family and friends they would say yes Florida is unique but it is a Southern state.

I can appreciate your perspective but you are not correct in your assertion that Florida is NOT Southern in any way

Spend time in Jacksonville (even in the gay ghetto of Riverside with lots of Progressives and artists etc) you would find it to be VERY Southern... NOT to mention the smaller towns that have not had massive development or influx of retirees.

Old 05-24-2016, 01:40 PM

5,230 posts, read 3,466,437 times
Quote:
Catholics (and Jewish) have been at the forefront of progress in this nation for a 150 years. Southerners cling to their archaic ways to this very day.
Care to explain why Georgia's first Synagogue was organized in 1735, over a hundred years before Florida even had one? Or how in the world there has been a Catholic Church in Downtown Atlanta since 1848?

You couldn't be more clueless about the South if you tried.

Old 05-24-2016, 04:49 PM

18,602 posts, read 26,986,071 times
If you want to say Florida is Florida, fine. But to say Florida has more in common with Oregon, California and Washington is extremely laughable and delusional.

Old 05-24-2016, 06:33 PM

9,558 posts, read 6,543,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
If you want to say Florida is Florida, fine. But to say Florida has more in common with Oregon, California and Washington is extremely laughable and delusional.
I say it's closer to DC than anything

Old 05-25-2016, 05:32 PM

18,602 posts, read 26,986,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Eh. I live in DC now and lived in Miami. I could see that but they are still very different.

Old 05-26-2016, 12:23 AM

469 posts, read 415,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Lots of African Americans: Check. (Despite what "Happiness is North", or whatever his/her name is, most black folks in Florida are AA Southerners, they are not Haitians, Bahamians, Jamaicans, etc.)

Disproportionate number of Jewish transplants from the northeast compared to the rest of the country: Check.

Hispanics: XX This one is not quite accurate.

Most of the Spanish speaking people in the DC area are from Central America. Hispanics in the tri-county area of SoFla are Cuban, or other Caribbean/and or South American. Despite the common consensus, there are some pretty significant differences in between these "Latino" groups.

Confusing "gray area" between north and south?
Big Check!

All in all, DC isn't a bad comparison to Florida, certainly much closer than the ridiculous "West Coast" some are proposing.

Last edited by wvtraveler; 05-26-2016 at 12:35 AM..

Old 05-27-2016, 07:08 PM

6,014 posts, read 3,352,537 times
Quote:
The state you no longer live in and the state you never plan on living in again. You have no say here. Your opinion on anything culturally related to Florida is null. Go back to Texas.
So what? I don't live there anymore, and no I don't plan to move back, but its still my homestate. I still got most of my family there. My opinion on anything culturally related to Florida is as null as anyone else's. We all have a right to an opinion. Funny thing is I know more about Texas than you know of FL lol

Old 05-27-2016, 07:17 PM

6,014 posts, read 3,352,537 times
Quote:
Florida born and raised. I'll raise my own family here too someday.

You wish your filthy city Atlanta had the diversity and cosmopolitan feel that Florida does. Most of Atlantas transplants are white people from the rural south and black people from the urban north. That is why Atlanta is still so Southern, though it loves to think it is the same as Florida or Texas cities. Go hang out under a confederate monument or something.
See, unlike you, most Atlantans and Georgians aren't ashamed to be from the south. I have a close friend who is black from Atlanta and she is extremely proud of being southern. She's very liberal, very educated, goes to UF, plans to go to UNC. It is you who has this white guilt or something and doesn't wanna be associated with the south, which does admittedly have a shameful history, though a very bright future and a booming present. You want Florida to be this exclave of the Northeast or something. The only thing "Northeastern" about Florida is the retirees, snowbirds and northern transplants. It is otherwise a hot and humid swampy state with alligators, palm trees and mossy oak trees, not unlike much of the deep south in scenery, and historically a parallel demographic to much of Georgia or Alabama. It wasn't til recently that FL got so developed. It used to be an underpopulated wetland with somewhat sparse populations of rural whites and slave descendants with indigenous tribes.

Florida became very urbanised and diverse, which yea distinguishes it from most of the south, but this is recent phenomenon. Having a bunch of modern cities and a growing diverse population doesn't change physical geography, not to mention history. And yea BTW, Florida was part of the CSA too. Don't have to be proud of it or anything, I am glad the Union won, and I love the south as a region, but its a part of history. Accept it.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:14 PM

5,828 posts, read 2,709,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Care to explain why Georgia's first Synagogue was organized in 1735, over a hundred years before Florida even had one? Or how in the world there has been a Catholic Church in Downtown Atlanta since 1848?

You couldn't be more clueless about the South if you tried.
Well that is easy to explain since Florida in 1735 was ruled by Spain until it traded Florida for Cuba in 1763 so Catholicism ruled the state.
As for Atlanta having a Catholic church in 1848 Florida had them earlier. How does any of this pertain to the subject at hand?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or