U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What "mindscape" is New Florida most like?
Wild West 2 2.41%
Heartland 2 2.41%
Dixie 13 15.66%
Yankeedom 11 13.25%
Cuba 0 0%
Meh, it's just Florida 55 66.27%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 03:13 PM

2,233 posts, read 1,504,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Most Southerners I know would laugh at the idea a second generation Cuban could just go and declare themselves One Of Us. It's sill about who your grandparents (at minimum- five generation family tree still preferred) were and where in select Southern states they came from.
Exactly. That guy clearly doesn't know many southerners or what Southern is. He should go spend some time in Memphis and tell everyone he is one of them. Then he can see the weirded out stares.

Old 01-21-2016, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Lol Texans are heavily Catholic, and not only Mexicans, partner. I have a friend who is white, from Texas. English and German ancestry.. he's Catholic. Also, Florida is heavily Catholic Actually, Louisiana and Florida are really similar. In case you didn't know, Cubans have been in Florida since 19th century, particularly around Tampa. Canarians (where my pre-Cuban ancestry is mostly from) have been in Louisiana, southern Mississippi, southern Alabama and NW Florida for a long time as well. The south is culturally a mix of French, Spanish, African, Scottish, Irish, English and German people for the most part.

You haven't answered my question; is a Cuban American from Massachusetts not a New Englander?
And the south is overwhelmingly african and British. German, french, irish are 15% of the gene pool, maybe.

Old 01-21-2016, 03:31 PM

1,444 posts, read 1,923,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Get out of the large cities and cookie cutter suburbs that sprawl from the coast, and Florida is a state that has not shed its southern culture. Even in the Miami metro area, when you're in the boonies.

The only Floridians who don't appreciate a "southern label" are the pretentious ones who think they're better than people who live a different lifestyle than them, kinda like, you.

Again, Florida is more than just "Caribbean and northern migrants," and guess what, a lot of those Caribbean immigrants, have more in common with native born Americans from the south than from the north. You know how many Cubans, actually from Cuba, love hunting, fishing, sailing, farming, ranching and a lot of things that urban yuppies consider to be "southern" or "redneckish"? You know how many Cubans also live in Georgia, Tennessee and both Carolinas? Even Alabama will probably have a Cuban influx in the future. This Cuban guy that my mom rented out a room to at our house once when she was out of a job, moved out to Alabama.

You need to stop looking down on the rest of the Southeast, dude. I'm Cuban-American myself and I got no shame in calling myself a southerner. I'm not a redneck, but I got family that you'd probably call rednecks, and you know what, most rednecks aren't bad people either. Stop judging people cuz they vote differently, have different hobbies and different ideals.

I agree. There are a good number of Southern Roman Catholics, and Jews too. There have been since colonial times. The whole South is not not monolithically Evangelical Protestant. Attend mass at St Pauls in Riverside section of Jacksonville; Not very many northern transplants.

Jacksonville has a large number of Arabs who have been here for 2-3 generations. They are very Southern. My sister-in-laws family are Arab, they have Southern accents just like anyone else who grew up in Jacksonville. Older people have thicker accents for sure. Point being, while not of colonial stock they are still Southern to themselves and to others.

Same with Cubans. My friends uncle moved to Live Oak area from Miami. From observation alone most people would see them as Southern and redneck before seeing them as Cuban. His cousins speak Spanish at home, but their English is definitely North Florida deep South accented.

Old 01-21-2016, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolfer View Post
I agree. There are a good number of Southern Roman Catholics, and Jews too. There have been since colonial times. The whole South is not not monolithically Evangelical Protestant. Attend mass at St Pauls in Riverside section of Jacksonville; Not very many northern transplants.

Jacksonville has a large number of Arabs who have been here for 2-3 generations. They are very Southern. My sister-in-laws family are Arab, they have Southern accents just like anyone else who grew up in Jacksonville. Older people have thicker accents for sure. Point being, while not of colonial stock they are still Southern to themselves and to others.

Same with Cubans. My friends uncle moved to Live Oak area from Miami. From observation alone most people would see them as Southern and redneck before seeing them as Cuban. His cousins speak Spanish at home, but their English is definitely North Florida deep South accented.
There is a lot more to being southern than an accent. And if your Arab in laws are Muslim they are 1000% not Southern.

Old 01-21-2016, 03:58 PM

12,135 posts, read 13,217,039 times
Southerner | Definition of Southerner by Merriam-Webster

Southerner play
noun South·ern·er \ˈsə-thə(r)-nər\
Definition of Southerner

: a native or inhabitant of the South; especially : a native or resident of the southern part of the United States

southerner: definition of southerner in Oxford dictionary (American English) (US)

southerner
See definition in Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary
Syllabification: south·ern·er
Pronunciation: /ˈsəT͟Hərnər/
(also Southerner)
Definition of southerner in English:
noun
A native or inhabitant of the south, especially of the southern US.

Old 01-21-2016, 03:59 PM

12,135 posts, read 13,217,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
There is a lot more to being southern than an accent. And if your Arab in laws are Muslim they are 1000% not Southern.
Not true. Racist and bigoted, but not true

Old 01-21-2016, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Southerner | Definition of Southerner by Merriam-Webster

Southerner play
noun South·ern·er \ˈsə-thə(r)-nər\
Definition of Southerner

: a native or inhabitant of the South; especially : a native or resident of the southern part of the United States

southerner: definition of southerner in Oxford dictionary (American English) (US)

southerner
See definition in Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary
Syllabification: south·ern·er
Pronunciation: /ˈsəT͟Hərnər/
(also Southerner)
Definition of southerner in English:
noun
A native or inhabitant of the south, especially of the southern US.
This is a geographic definition. Not a cultural one.

Old 01-21-2016, 04:09 PM

1,444 posts, read 1,923,345 times
Quote:
And the south is overwhelmingly african and British. German, french, irish are 15% of the gene pool, maybe.

Granted, British and African are probably the most prominent origin of Southerners. However I think your 15% number is low.

New Orleans was a major port and received lots of European immigrants, from there they dispersed throughout the US; in the South they went to other parts of Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, West Florida.

Of course Florida has Spanish settlers from before the 20th century ( Minorcans in St Augustine, Cubans in Tampa and Key West-- pre Castro) South Carolina attracted French Huguenots and Sephardic Jews in Colonial times.

Germans migrated from Pennsylvania down the Great Valley and Appalachians into Virginia, North Carolina, Tennessee and Kentucky. ( Some of my ancestors were Swiss-German immigrants who settled in Virginia in the early 1800s. They fought for the Confederacy-- so there is your non-British southern cred)

Old 01-21-2016, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolfer View Post
Granted, British and African are probably the most prominent origin of Southerners. However I think your 15% number is low.

New Orleans was a major port and received lots of European immigrants, from there they dispersed throughout the US; in the South they went to other parts of Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, West Florida.

Of course Florida has Spanish settlers from before the 20th century ( Minorcans in St Augustine, Cubans in Tampa and Key West-- pre Castro) South Carolina attracted French Huguenots and Sephardic Jews in Colonial times.

Germans migrated from Pennsylvania down the Great Valley and Appalachians into Virginia, North Carolina, Tennessee and Kentucky. ( Some of my ancestors were Swiss-German immigrants who settled in Virginia in the early 1800s. They fought for the Confederacy-- so there is your non-British southern cred)
Tampas cuban community does NOT consider itself Southern. If anything they pioneered Floridas own cultural niche. Tampa is practically my second home. I know that community very well.

Old 01-21-2016, 06:54 PM

6,014 posts, read 3,350,373 times
Quote:
Florida abd Texas are both not Southern, and natives, particularly the Catholics, in both states will tell you so. Cuban isn't what comes to mind when I think of new englander, but they do have Southern European roots like Italians and Portugese. And catholic heritage like those groups and irish. Cubans are much more similar to new englanders than Southerners. They can pass I guess.
Again, you have a narrow minded viewpoint which is very... early 20th century.

So in your viewpoint, Cuban Americans aren't even Americans lol neither are the Italians, only the old Dutch and English descendants can call themselves New Yorkers or New Englanders Gotcha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or