Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What "mindscape" is New Florida most like?
Wild West 2 2.41%
Heartland 2 2.41%
Dixie 13 15.66%
Yankeedom 11 13.25%
Cuba 0 0%
Meh, it's just Florida 55 66.27%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 09:03 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,899,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyFries View Post
You should've had a sixth pool option that's "it's a combination of all of the above".
This. The state is completely different culturally, depending on where you are.

Old 01-06-2016, 12:34 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,422,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Alabama or Georiga can have the panhandle. Florida doesn't want it.
Alabama would be GLAD to take it!

Old 01-06-2016, 05:53 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,918,308 times
Quote:
Florida isn't Southern in the least, yet here comes everyone not from Florida wanting to tell you what Florida is.

Peninsular Florida has been dominated by Northern transplants and international immigrants ever since the end of the 19th century to such a degree that the "Southerness" of the region is gone. And Hail Mary for it.

I wouldn't lump Florida with the west either. When I was in Colorado I found the people there to be similar politically, but they were not as spastic, party-going, or dramatic as Floridians tend to be (in my opinion, they were on the boring side. Denver's bars shut down before 1:30 AM!!).

We are more hospitable than northeasterners, but that is due to most of us having worked in the hospitality industry as some point in our lives. We aren't fake friendly like Southerners are though. While being hospitable, we have a bluntness to us that northerners tend to have.

Parts of FLORIDA are very southern. Some are more like NY and Cuba. But keep telling yourself whatever you'd like. Some of the biggest rednecks I've ever met are here in FLORIDA. And thank God. I wouldn't live here if FL was like Long Island everywhere throughout the state.

FL is what it is. A mixed bag. Some good and some bad. It's no NC but it's not all international immigrants and northeastern ears either, thank God.

Old 01-06-2016, 05:56 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,918,308 times
Quote:
Alabama or Georiga can have the panhandle. Florida doesn't want it. Of our states 20 million people only about a million live in the panhandle anyhow. The panhandle doesn't represent our state or what our state continues to change into.
Can Cuba and the Bronx have southeast FL?

Old 01-06-2016, 07:23 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,118,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
Can Cuba and the Bronx have southeast FL?
Florida's largest and culturally significant metro? No way!

Old 01-06-2016, 07:26 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,118,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
Parts of FLORIDA are very southern. Some are more like NY and Cuba. But keep telling yourself whatever you'd like. Some of the biggest rednecks I've ever met are here in FLORIDA. And thank God. I wouldn't live here if FL was like Long Island everywhere throughout the state.

FL is what it is. A mixed bag. Some good and some bad. It's no NC but it's not all international immigrants and northeastern ears either, thank God.
Redneck doesn't equal southern. You can be southern and not a redneck.

Old 01-06-2016, 07:41 AM

699 posts, read 610,871 times
Don't see many areas of Florida that remind me of out west ... Maybe Key West and that's a maybe. The only city I ran into, that wasn't in California or the immediate west (Oregon, Washington) that reminded me so much of back home was Austin, TX.

Florida to me is an interesting blend of Southern + beach culture + Latin Culture + snow birds from the Midwest/East Coast.

Not much room for a 'Western' feel in that mix. Though you can say adding a hefty dose of 'beach culture' and 'midwestern transplants' to the table might remind someone of California.

Old 01-06-2016, 07:47 AM

1,535 posts, read 1,391,424 times
Quote:
The panhandle doesn't represent our state or what our state continues to change into.
I"ll take the Panhandle with it's vast expanses of Pines, red clay dirt roads, "closed on Sunday- see you at church announcements" on menus etc. over Miami any day. Heck, one time I saw a stranded female motorist with out of state plates. She was alone, in an isolated area, and seemed to fill out her motorcycle get up rather nicely.

Anyways, three young local men came who, judging from the immediate area, did not have alot of money, immediatelly pulled over to her motorcycle. They then proceeded to, well you know.... see what was wrong. Some strange things happened- they went to buy her gas, brought it to her, and directed her to a local gas station where I saw them again.

Of course, they wanted something from her for this help. Nothing is free- right? So, they got to uhmm, "got to know her better" by.... asking her permission to have their picture taken with her. Three minutes later, she was on her way.

In Miami, things might have gone a little bit different..... .

Old 01-06-2016, 08:02 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,692,068 times
FL is in no way culturally western like California, Washington and Oregon. lol.
Ppl here are not laid-back/live and let live types. There's no environmental movement or hippies here. There's no strong push for green spaces and recycling. There's no legal marijuana here. People here are not "one with nature" that like to go hiking... LOL. pfft.
Ppl here are generally to themselves and would sooner shoot you for standing on their lawn that wanna talk to you. ... FL IMO is pretty violent and poor... It's culturally a bit backward and many parts seem like backwaters!. Still, it's a fun place to live.

Old 01-06-2016, 08:26 AM

17,182 posts, read 15,382,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
FL is in no way culturally western like California, Washington and Oregon. lol.
Ppl here are not laid-back/live and let live types. There's no environmental movement or hippies here. There's no strong push for green spaces and recycling. There's no legal marijuana here. People here are not "one with nature" that like to go hiking... LOL. pfft.
Ppl here are generally to themselves and would sooner shoot you for standing on their lawn that wanna talk to you. ... FL IMO is pretty violent and poor... It's culturally a bit backward and many parts seem like backwaters!. Still, it's a fun place to live.
Yes. Finally an honest assessment of how FL is. FL almost reminds me, if anything, of a Caribbean nation: poor, violent, culturally-backwards, yet still fun to be in. Replace Caribbeans with transients and you have FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida