Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What "mindscape" is New Florida most like?
Wild West 2 2.41%
Heartland 2 2.41%
Dixie 13 15.66%
Yankeedom 11 13.25%
Cuba 0 0%
Meh, it's just Florida 55 66.27%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 10:07 PM

7,726 posts, read 6,399,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Its sounds like you belong in Alabama. Ever checked it out??
Have you actually ever been to Alabama, dude? Alabama is honestly not that different from Florida, aside from Orlando and Miami. It also has beautiful beaches. It ain't the greatest state, but you're acting like it's all Ku-Klux Land. It's better than Mississippi, which is ALSO beautiful (though I wouldn't wanna live there)

Old 01-21-2016, 07:57 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,107,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Have you actually ever been to Alabama, dude? Alabama is honestly not that different from Florida, aside from Orlando and Miami. It also has beautiful beaches. It ain't the greatest state, but you're acting like it's all Ku-Klux Land. It's better than Mississippi, which is ALSO beautiful (though I wouldn't wanna live there)
Now that's funny. I can't imagine a staunchly Southern state line Alabama being anything similar to Florida outside of the panhandle. There are hardly any Carribean or northern migrants in Alabama, and those people are Floridas majority today. And they don't appreciate a southern label either.

I haven't lived in Alabama, but I have lived in Georgia (Atlanta), and I felt like a fish out of water. The Southern is strong in the Deep South. It is almost completely gone in peninsular florida. And the new florida culture spreads ever more northward as our state attracts record numbers of domestic and international
migrants.

Old 01-21-2016, 08:16 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,264,131 times
Quote:
Now that's funny. I can't imagine a staunchly Southern state line Alabama being anything similar to Florida outside of the panhandle. There are hardly any Carribean or northern migrants in Alabama, and those people are Floridas majority today. And they don't appreciate a southern label either.

I haven't lived in Alabama, but I have lived in Georgia (Atlanta), and I felt like a fish out of water. The Southern is strong in the Deep South. It is almost completely gone in peninsular florida. And the new florida culture spreads ever more northward as our state attracts record numbers of domestic and international
migrants.
Completely agree. The panhandle, much of the FL heartland (south of Orlando, in the middle of state), GA (outside of Atlanta) etc. all feel very southern.

Old 01-21-2016, 12:38 PM

Quote:

migrants.
Get out of the large cities and cookie cutter suburbs that sprawl from the coast, and Florida is a state that has not shed its southern culture. Even in the Miami metro area, when you're in the boonies.

The only Floridians who don't appreciate a "southern label" are the pretentious ones who think they're better than people who live a different lifestyle than them, kinda like, you.

Again, Florida is more than just "Caribbean and northern migrants," and guess what, a lot of those Caribbean immigrants, have more in common with native born Americans from the south than from the north. You know how many Cubans, actually from Cuba, love hunting, fishing, sailing, farming, ranching and a lot of things that urban yuppies consider to be "southern" or "redneckish"? You know how many Cubans also live in Georgia, Tennessee and both Carolinas? Even Alabama will probably have a Cuban influx in the future. This Cuban guy that my mom rented out a room to at our house once when she was out of a job, moved out to Alabama.

You need to stop looking down on the rest of the Southeast, dude. I'm Cuban-American myself and I got no shame in calling myself a southerner. I'm not a redneck, but I got family that you'd probably call rednecks, and you know what, most rednecks aren't bad people either. Stop judging people cuz they vote differently, have different hobbies and different ideals.

Old 01-21-2016, 01:37 PM

Southern doesn't equal redneck. And if you think that is what I was referring to you are far mistaken. Southern is a whole ethnic, religious, cultural embodiment. It has nothing to do with hunting, outdoorsy stuff. Wisconsin and Michigan are more redneck than most southern states.

Cuban Americans aren't "southern". Southern is a cultural, religious, ethnic, and political background, and Cubans are not part of that.

Old 01-21-2016, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Southern doesn't equal redneck. And if you think that is what I was referring to you are far mistaken. Southern is a whole ethnic, religious, cultural embodiment. It has nothing to do with hunting, outdoorsy stuff. Wisconsin and Michigan are more redneck than most southern states.

Cuban Americans aren't "southern". Southern is a cultural, religious, ethnic, and political background, and Cubans are not part of that.
Cuban Americans who are from the south, are southern. Those from the north, are northerners. Is a Cuban American raised in Boston not a New Englander/yankee/northerner?

Being southern is a regional/cultural background, politics and religion varies. Some southerners are Catholics, some are Baptists, some are Jewish, some practise voodoo (New Orleans) some are atheists. Stop pigeonholing an entire region. Not all Midwesterners are Lutheran farmers of Scandinavian origin either.

Yea the upper Midwest does have lots of rednecks, but it's not the same as in the south, and their culture is more influenced from rural southerners than the other way around. I know of a North Dakotan who waved a confederate flag, which is beyond idiotic but okay lol

Old 01-21-2016, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Cuban Americans who are from the south, are southern. Those from the north, are northerners. Is a Cuban American raised in Boston not a New Englander/yankee/northerner?

Being southern is a regional/cultural background, politics and religion varies. Some southerners are Catholics, some are Baptists, some are Jewish, some practise voodoo (New Orleans) some are atheists. Stop pigeonholing an entire region. Not all Midwesterners are Lutheran farmers of Scandinavian origin either.

Yea the upper Midwest does have lots of rednecks, but it's not the same as in the south, and their culture is more influenced from rural southerners than the other way around. I know of a North Dakotan who waved a confederate flag, which is beyond idiotic but okay lol
You call your self what you wish and allow floridians to identify how they wish. Most floridians don't idemtify with the south. Get over it.

And very few southerners are catholic. Very few. Outside of southern Louisiana, almost none.

Old 01-21-2016, 02:50 PM

Quote:
You call your self what you wish and allow floridians to identify how they wish. Most floridians don't idemtify with the south. Get over it.

And very few southerners are catholic. Very few. Outside of southern Louisiana, almost none.
Lol Texans are heavily Catholic, and not only Mexicans, partner. I have a friend who is white, from Texas. English and German ancestry.. he's Catholic. Also, Florida is heavily Catholic Actually, Louisiana and Florida are really similar. In case you didn't know, Cubans have been in Florida since 19th century, particularly around Tampa. Canarians (where my pre-Cuban ancestry is mostly from) have been in Louisiana, southern Mississippi, southern Alabama and NW Florida for a long time as well. The south is culturally a mix of French, Spanish, African, Scottish, Irish, English and German people for the most part.

You haven't answered my question; is a Cuban American from Massachusetts not a New Englander?

Old 01-21-2016, 02:57 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,732,320 times
Most Southerners I know would laugh at the idea a second generation Cuban could just go and declare themselves One Of Us. It's sill about who your grandparents (at minimum- five generation family tree still preferred) were and where in select Southern states they came from.

Old 01-21-2016, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Lol Texans are heavily Catholic, and not only Mexicans, partner. I have a friend who is white, from Texas. English and German ancestry.. he's Catholic. Also, Florida is heavily Catholic Actually, Louisiana and Florida are really similar. In case you didn't know, Cubans have been in Florida since 19th century, particularly around Tampa. Canarians (where my pre-Cuban ancestry is mostly from) have been in Louisiana, southern Mississippi, southern Alabama and NW Florida for a long time as well. The south is culturally a mix of French, Spanish, African, Scottish, Irish, English and German people for the most part.

You haven't answered my question; is a Cuban American from Massachusetts not a New Englander?
Florida abd Texas are both not Southern, and natives, particularly the Catholics, in both states will tell you so. Cuban isn't what comes to mind when I think of new englander, but they do have Southern European roots like Italians and Portugese. And catholic heritage like those groups and irish. Cubans are much more similar to new englanders than Southerners. They can pass I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida