Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What "mindscape" is New Florida most like?
Wild West 2 2.41%
Heartland 2 2.41%
Dixie 13 15.66%
Yankeedom 11 13.25%
Cuba 0 0%
Meh, it's just Florida 55 66.27%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 04:39 PM

7,725 posts, read 6,364,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
The big wave of Dutch migration in the 19th century was largely farmers who settled in the Midwest, including a couple of my great-great-greats. Ask me where Dutch people live in America and I'm far more likely to think Iowa or western Michigan than New York.
I was more referring to the fact that in US history, New York was a Dutch colony prior to being English.

Old 01-22-2016, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
I am well aware of everything you are saying. I work with dozens of Cubans, and most of them are clearly european descended. That guys comment about people talking about his whiteness is what I found skeptical.
I only brought up the "whiteness" to emphasise that more people are surprised to know that I'm Cuban, as opposed to surprised to know that I'm, from the south. You think that I would be so outta place in Memphis. Dude, I'm more out of place in Miami and I grew up there, and that's cuz I can't stand the image obsessed night club culture. If I told a Memphis native that I'm from the south all they would likely say is "oh cool, what state?" not "yea right, get outta here!" The latter is more of a reply I would get when I told someone I'm Cuban. Again, a lot of my friends get surprised from that, particularly one of my roommates. I even told her before, and she forgot, so when she heard me speak Spanish on the phone she was like "Were you just speaking Spanish? What?"

Old 01-22-2016, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Neither would come to my mind as Southern. But they can identify how they wish. But Southerners have a certain way of acting too. you have to live among them to understand it.
"But Mexicans have a certain way of acting.
But Arabs have a certain way of acting.
But Indians have a certain way of acting."

You are using stereotypes and discrimination, my friend. You sure you live in Florida and not Hollywood, CA? Not all southerners act like the characters on Dukes of Hazard, and the ones that do, are fine. The south is such a diverse place with a diverse group of people. Not everyone in Alabama likes NASCAR, not everyone has a confederate flag on their porch and a "Roll Tide" bumper sticker. Not everyone has a gun or plays a banjo and fiddle. And again, nothing wrong with that either. What IS wrong is racism and discrimination, and honestly, you're doing that yourself to people from the region you're from no less. You're saying certain people can't have ties to a region because of their religion, or ethnicity. The south is a region and to many, white, black and brown, it's home. You don't gotta conform to any preconceived notions to BELONG to that region. And overall, they're Americans. America is diverse and the south isn't the insular backwoods region you make it out to be, even if there are some really undesirable areas.

Go to New Orleans, walk along side those beautiful Franco-American buildings and the huge live oak trees and tell me it's "not southern" because it's full of Catholics, Cajuns and Creoles.

Old 01-22-2016, 05:08 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,906,448 times
Come in, sit a spell. You all come back now, ya hear. You wouldn't hear this type of lingo in Miami. Definitely North Florida which is analogous to South Georgia. Jacksonville is pretty much southern with rednecks

Old 01-22-2016, 05:38 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,829,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
Come in, sit a spell. You all come back now, ya hear. You wouldn't hear this type of lingo in Miami. Definitely North Florida which is analogous to South Georgia. Jacksonville is pretty much southern with rednecks
A spell!?! You mean like the Haitians do in South FL? Decapitating chickens and throwin their heads in people's yards. Nope, nothing weird about that.

Old 01-22-2016, 06:20 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,906,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
A spell!?! You mean like the Haitians do in South FL? Decapitating chickens and throwin their heads in people's yards. Nope, nothing weird about that.
Yea, that is a whole different kind of spell. That might be that Hoodoo Voodoo stuff.

Old 01-22-2016, 06:24 PM

469 posts, read 571,687 times
Depends on what part of the state you're talking about. Florida can vary pretty significantly, depending not only on what region (north, central, south), but also counties, and even neighboring cities. It's one of the most diverse states in the US without a doubt.

Old 01-22-2016, 06:30 PM

469 posts, read 571,687 times
Quote:
But Southerners have a certain way of acting too. you have to live among them to understand it.
You are so full of crap that it's not even funny. Nice wide paintbrush you have there Mr. Openminded.

Old 01-22-2016, 06:41 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,308,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
So, Anglos and African Americans only, gotcha. No Asians allowed, no Jews, no Catholics, no Muslims. They're not southerners, they're just in limbo Doesn't matter if they're from Charleston, Memphis or Baton Rouge, if you're not part of the kewl kids klub, you're just a yankee who is from Dixie. Riiight.
Its pointless arguing with happiness , he seems to have no interest in history or other cultures or even floridas history, he lives around lee and collier country, named after southerners,naples was founded by a confederate general, you can just read the history of marco island.

My sister is married to a cuban who worked for the Sabates family, a cuban born rich guy raised in charlotte who is big in nascar and alot of racing teams have cuban connections in nascar, like armando fits racing teams. There have always been strong business connection between cuba and Caribbean and the south, and still are with sugar , tobacco , rum etc, though obviously the relationship with cuba has changed after the revolution. The south was and is still like alot more like the Caribbean and some of south america historically and in alot of culture than they are like alot of the midwest and north

The southern aristocracy was very diverse in new orleans, charleston ,savannah , virginia, mobile,texas, natchez etc was made up of french creoles, spanish aristocracy in natchez and texas and florida, catholic aristocracy in maryland and new orleans.

I mean for the love of god, new orleans history and aristocracy was the most amazing and diverse in the country, they were alot more diverse than the new england puritans

this shows how diverse the south was and still is. the confederados in Brazil, they speak Portuguese, towns in brazil descended from southerners who moved south after the civil war and still keep southern traditions alive. not a homogenized, generic strip mall like so much of the US

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D93o3kItF-E

Old 01-22-2016, 06:54 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,100,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvtraveler View Post
You are so full of crap that it's not even funny. Nice wide paintbrush you have there Mr. Openminded.
No I'm not, and I have experienced the southern disposition far too many times to pretend like they act the same as people from the north. They don't. Live in the true south sometime like I did and you will understand what I speak of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida