Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What "mindscape" is New Florida most like?
Wild West 2 2.41%
Heartland 2 2.41%
Dixie 13 15.66%
Yankeedom 11 13.25%
Cuba 0 0%
Meh, it's just Florida 55 66.27%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 06:36 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,568,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Sure you have.

Lots of Latin Americans are WHITE! And some are even blonde or gingers! They are not all little brown people. ( there are black people and Asian people in Latin America as well.)

Spain is in Europe, just like England and Ireland and Germany. The latest genetic research is showing that the people of the British Isles and Spain and Portugal have the most genetic markers in common.

Galicia in Northern Spain is one of the Celtic Nations( like Scotland, Ireland, Wales etc). Many of the Spanish settlers of Latin American came from northern Spain because it was economically depressed in the 19th century. There were also other Europeans who went to Latin America.

Last edited by jwolfer; 01-22-2016 at 06:48 AM..

Old 01-22-2016, 06:59 AM

Quote:
There is a lot more to being southern than an accent. And if your Arab in laws are Muslim they are 1000% not Southern.

O Great Arbitor of all that is Southern... please enlighten us on what is "Southern."

Would a Jew from Charleston be non-Southern because he is not British descended or African descended protestant?

Would an Italian (really Sicilian) descended guy who grew up in rural North Florida on a collard green farm be Southern? He does have a real heavy Southern accent and is very Country but his Great Grandparents were Catholics, but his parents were Southern Baptist; He also looks swarthy, so maybe honorary Southerner?

Please clarify

Old 01-22-2016, 07:27 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,115,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolfer View Post
Lots of Latin Americans are WHITE! And some are even blonde or gingers! They are not all little brown people. ( there are black people and Asian people in Latin America as well.)

Spain is in Europe, just like England and Ireland and Germany. The latest genetic research is showing that the people of the British Isles and Spain and Portugal have the most genetic markers in common.

Galicia in Northern Spain is one of the Celtic Nations( like Scotland, Ireland, Wales etc). Many of the Spanish settlers of Latin American came from northern Spain because it was economically depressed in the 19th century. There were also other Europeans who went to Latin America.
I am well aware of everything you are saying. I work with dozens of Cubans, and most of them are clearly european descended. That guys comment about people talking about his whiteness is what I found skeptical.

Old 01-22-2016, 07:31 AM

Quote:
O Great Arbitor of all that is Southern... please enlighten us on what is "Southern."

Would a Jew from Charleston be non-Southern because he is not British descended or African descended protestant?

Would an Italian (really Sicilian) descended guy who grew up in rural North Florida on a collard green farm be Southern? He does have a real heavy Southern accent and is very Country but his Great Grandparents were Catholics, but his parents were Southern Baptist; He also looks swarthy, so maybe honorary Southerner?

Please clarify
Neither would come to my mind as Southern. But they can identify how they wish. But Southerners have a certain way of acting too. you have to live among them to understand it.

Old 01-22-2016, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
The big wave of Dutch migration in the 19th century was largely farmers who settled in the Midwest, including a couple of my great-great-greats. Ask me where Dutch people live in America and I'm far more likely to think Iowa or western Michigan than New York.
Yes. I think of those areas when I think of dutch descended.

Old 01-22-2016, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Neither would come to my mind as Southern. But they can identify how they wish. But Southerners have a certain way of acting too. you have to live among them to understand it.
I am one of THEM! I think I understand being Southern. My family is Southern on both sides( Virgina and Florida-since at least 1830), however my Dad's maternal grand-parents were Ukrainian immigrants who settled in NJ. And I was raised Episcopalian, real close to Catholic, Am I disqualified as a Southerner?

So you are saying a person who is descended from Sephardic Jews who settled in South Carolina is 1770 and whose family has been in SC since then is NOT a Southerner. Am I correct?

to steal a quote... You don't know Dixie

Last edited by jwolfer; 01-22-2016 at 09:41 AM..

Old 01-22-2016, 11:00 AM

Quote:
I am one of THEM! I think I understand being Southern. My family is Southern on both sides( Virgina and Florida-since at least 1830), however my Dad's maternal grand-parents were Ukrainian immigrants who settled in NJ. And I was raised Episcopalian, real close to Catholic, Am I disqualified as a Southerner?

So you are saying a person who is descended from Sephardic Jews who settled in South Carolina is 1770 and whose family has been in SC since then is NOT a Southerner. Am I correct?

I am from Florida. I guess I wouldn't know Dixie well.

Old 01-22-2016, 02:09 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,326,476 times
Quote:

you are getting a little too deep root wise for happiness is close, he has stated on city data his deep florida roots go back all the way to the 1990s to a retiree town in southwest florida. charlestonians from 1770 and virginians from the 1830s is a little too far back.

you arent going to learn much about florida from him, he would be better to ask about which part of the midwest people from ft myers and naples are from

Old 01-22-2016, 03:33 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,441,678 times
Quote:
Not at all. The African American community is a massive piece of Southern culture. It's actually hard for me to see a place as fully southern without a large AA presence.
So, Anglos and African Americans only, gotcha. No Asians allowed, no Jews, no Catholics, no Muslims. They're not southerners, they're just in limbo Doesn't matter if they're from Charleston, Memphis or Baton Rouge, if you're not part of the kewl kids klub, you're just a yankee who is from Dixie. Riiight.

Old 01-22-2016, 03:38 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,441,678 times
Quote:
Sure you have.
Umm, yea, I have lol What do you think I look like Scarface and sound like him too? Open Hawaiian shirt, big cigar? People, especially out of South Florida, are surprised to not only hear that I'm Cuban, but blink twice if they hear me speak Spanish. Mostly because the association in most of the country, especially the southwest, is Mexican.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida