U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-11-2016, 07:36 AM
 
Location: Gainesville, FL; formerly Weston, FL
986 posts, read 989,644 times
Reputation: 986

Advertisements

The ACA IMHO was incorrectly portrayed to the American Public. Call it what it is -- a tax on the wealthy and middle class to pay insurance for the poor ( and the Supreme Court did rule it was a tax rather than a "penalty"). Tell me, OK, all those in the "x" income tax brackets pay an additional tax, those in the higher brackets pay more, those in the lower, nothing, then I would believe that there is truth in advertising. The Affordable Healthcare Act provides affordable care to those of us who are poorer, but not the middle class. Again, the middle class got kicked to the curb at the expense of the wealthy (who can afford it) and the poor (who can't).

So which political party speaks for the middle class? IMHO, that's one of the reasons you see such big turnouts for the anti-establishment candidates this year, particularly Sanders and Trump. We've got a large population of people who either feel that government is not doing enough to help them, and should either do more, or has taken too much from them, in return for so little, and should just get out of the way.

On another note, I have been on 3 different Florida Blue plans through my husband's employer (HMO's & PPO's) and my coverage was very good, and choice of doctors and hospitals wide-ranging. I believe that when shopping for health insurance, Florida Blue is worth serious consideration, no matter what level of coverage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-11-2016, 07:56 AM
 
2,541 posts, read 2,160,444 times
Reputation: 3824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Right. But he can get medical insurance under the AHA.
Nope, subsidies are based on income, and some people don't qualify for subsidies.

Quote:
In states that didnít expand Medicaid, many adults making under 100% Federal Poverty Level will fall in the Medicaid gap, meaning they wonít qualify for Medicaid or subsidies.
ObamaCare Subsidies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2016, 08:54 AM
 
Location: SW Florida
9,777 posts, read 7,063,873 times
Reputation: 14355
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCrossroads View Post
Nope, subsidies are based on income, and some people don't qualify for subsidies.

ObamaCare Subsidies
He could still get insurance through the exchanges, even if he makes too much money for a subsidy. Though in that case I am not sure why someone would put himself through that gauntlet when he could get the insurance directly from the insurance company or through a licensed agent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2016, 02:42 PM
 
2,056 posts, read 2,474,854 times
Reputation: 3803
Well, this is just more of the usual far right, anti Obama rhetoric that has made this forum almost not worth visiting. Health insurance was not available to many people before this legislation, and many of the policies are very inexpensive once the subsidies kick in. Deductibles depend on which plan you choose. And of course, this plan did away from denying people who were ill w/ preexisting conditions. It's not a perfect plan, but it's a start. Sorry, I don't have a 5 second sound bite for you repubs, but go visit your idol Trump, and I'm sure he will get you all pumped up.

Many of the forums here are defacto tea party places now. Has anyone gone to the political forum lately? Man, that place is scary. I disagree that Florida is a state that doesn't hand out much. It's a state that doesn't care much what happens to it's disadvantaged citizens. Before the feds came in and got the health exchange going, I wonder how many people died because of the soulless idiots in Tallahassee. Well, those dead people were poor, and they probably would have voted Democratic anyway. There's more than one way to purge voter rolls and steal elections.

Last edited by smarino; 01-11-2016 at 02:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2016, 02:53 PM
 
34,455 posts, read 41,569,541 times
Reputation: 29922
,p
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
Well, this is just more of the usual far right, anti Obama rhetoric that has made this forum almost not worth visiting. Health insurance was not available to many people before this legislation, and many of the policies are very inexpensive once the subsidies kick in. Deductibles depend on which plan you choose. And of course, this plan did away from denying people who were ill w/ preexisting conditions. It's not a perfect plan, but it's a start. Sorry, I don't have a 5 second sound bite for you repubs, but go visit your idol Trump, and I'm sure he will get you all pumped up.

Many of the forums here are defacto tea party places now. Has anyone gone to the political forum lately? Man, that place is scary.
Agree on all points.to add/
For those not liking Obama care just vote Cruz and the repeal of Obamacare will be his first order of business, back to pre-existing conditions caps and co pays and outrageous costs etc. As for defacto tea party places? you just got to be picky on where you spend your time, i used to frequent the political forum quite a bit but the political forum is now just an entertaining place to watch righties feed their need for the emotion of hate and wallow in delusion, to actually participate is rather pointless..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2016, 04:37 PM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 13,278,136 times
Reputation: 6010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
,p

Agree on all points.to add/
For those not liking Obama care just vote Cruz and the repeal of Obamacare will be his first order of business, back to pre-existing conditions caps and co pays and outrageous costs etc. As for defacto tea party places? you just got to be picky on where you spend your time, i used to frequent the political forum quite a bit but the political forum is now just an entertaining place to watch righties feed their need for the emotion of hate and wallow in delusion, to actually participate is rather pointless..
If the ACA is repealed we go back to millions of uninsured Americans, insurance companies denying coverage to people with pre existing conditions, put lifetime limits on their products, pull coverage from people who develop catastrophic conditions. It would allow corporations to pull the healthcare rug from under thier employees feet. They have no plan for a replacement so only the high income people will be able to fork over $700 or more dollars a month will have access to health care. What a wonderful idea. Then the Republicans will have more money to spend bombing otherr countries and overthrowing governments they dont like and procdeed to attempt to control the world oil market and get us back to $4 a gallon gasoline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2016, 04:41 PM
 
13,750 posts, read 9,368,767 times
Reputation: 4446
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
,p

Agree on all points.to add/
For those not liking Obama care just vote Cruz and the repeal of Obamacare will be his first order of business, back to pre-existing conditions caps and co pays and outrageous costs etc. As for defacto tea party places? you just got to be picky on where you spend your time, i used to frequent the political forum quite a bit but the political forum is now just an entertaining place to watch righties feed their need for the emotion of hate and wallow in delusion, to actually participate is rather pointless..
Forced HC will never be done away with. We are stuck with it. You can thank Roberts for being paid off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2016, 07:28 PM
tlw
 
74 posts, read 363,696 times
Reputation: 136
It never ceases to amaze me that many of the people screaming and whining about the ACA are the people that it helps the most. Couldn't tell you how many over weight or hypertensive or diabetic or heart disease in the genes/prone or sweating bullets when it's 60 degrees people I've overheard ranting about the ACA.

No pre-existing conditions, no lifetime caps, no cancellations mean nothing in their reasoning!
Unfortunately no amount of healthcare can cure tunnel vision. Plus your tunnel vision would be a pre-existing condition so your previous insurance wouldn't cover it anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2016, 08:10 PM
 
Location: Sarasota FL
6,861 posts, read 9,315,625 times
Reputation: 6573
My neighbors, self employed, early 60's. Premium is 1800 a month, just notified it is going up another $300 and a $2500 deductible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2016, 05:24 AM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 13,278,136 times
Reputation: 6010
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
My neighbors, self employed, early 60's. Premium is 1800 a month, just notified it is going up another $300 and a $2500 deductible.
A plan with a private insurer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:58 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top