Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 02:48 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
Even easier. Go on Zillow.com - type in "Florida" - then click to show only rentals. Put maximum budget $700. There is a ton of stuff all over the state. Including 2/1's for under $600.

So the answer is, yes, you can easily move to Florida on that budget and you'll be fine. Just spend some time on Zillow, figure out where the areas are that you can afford, then maybe come back here and ask questions about those specific areas to see which is the best fit for you.
That is an excellent suggestion^^^. To the OP, I think it can be done, as long as you don't care where you live in Florida. You most likely will only be able to afford smaller rural towns that are inland in the center to northern part of the state. Indiana is one of the cheapest states in the country to live, but I am sure you know that already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 04:20 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,631,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
That is an excellent suggestion^^^. To the OP, I think it can be done, as long as you don't care where you live in Florida. You most likely will only be able to afford smaller rural towns that are inland in the center to northern part of the state. Indiana is one of the cheapest states in the country to live, but I am sure you know that already.

I see quite a few in New Port Richey right near the water. I have no idea about the neighborhoods but they are there.

Old 01-20-2016, 07:20 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,405,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forenzavue View Post
Me and our fiancé have a toddler son. My fiancé wants to move down here but he will be netting maybe $22K a year after he retires...which is comfortable to live on in NE Indiana. We will also have $10K in savings. He lived in Florida as a kid and wants to go back. Our budget is $500-$700 per month for a house or trailer. Be honest: Are our chances dismal of getting family rental housing? We were looking at Melbourne or Hudson. My fiancé wants to sell most of our possessions and start over (furniture from a secondhand store, for instance). Your opinions, please... (You will not hurt my feelings...every time he brings this up, part of me is thinking, "Are you stupid or something?" While another part of me knows how beneficial it would be for our son to be able to go outside all the time as he has sensory seeking disorder)
I'm sorry, not meaning to be unkind, but a retiree with a toddler?

Hahahahahahahahaha.

Old 01-20-2016, 10:11 PM

108 posts, read 104,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
I'm sorry, not meaning to be unkind, but a retiree with a toddler?

Hahahahahahahahaha.
How rude and insulting!! Yes, your comment was VERY unkind. Our son is a wonderful addition and blessing.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:23 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,036,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forenzavue View Post
How rude and insulting!! Yes, your comment was VERY unkind. Our son is a wonderful addition and blessing.
In your original post, didn't you say you had thick skin?

Are you really retirement age? Is the toddler your grandchild? $22k is going to be tough to live on no matter where you live. I'd suggest one or both of you consider working if you make it to FL.

Old 01-21-2016, 11:15 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,631,226 times
There is a difference between being tough on someone, maybe a little snarky, and just being flat out nasty and a disgusting. marcopolo's comment was not even relevant, and just flat out rude and nasty. What kind of loser says things like that to people?

Old 01-21-2016, 11:38 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,036,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
There is a difference between being tough on someone, maybe a little snarky, and just being flat out nasty and a disgusting. marcopolo's comment was not even relevant, and just flat out rude and nasty. What kind of loser says things like that to people?
It's the internet....don't take things so personal.

But the question still remains....how do you have a toddler at retirement age?

Old 01-21-2016, 12:13 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,841,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
It's the internet....don't take things so personal.

But the question still remains....how do you have a toddler at retirement age?
Maybe she is much younger than her fiance?

Old 01-21-2016, 01:33 PM

3,563 posts, read 1,877,462 times
Guys, they could have adopted the tot, or it is a grandchild, or be early age retirees. My Father retired at age 55, it happens.

Old 01-21-2016, 02:32 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverItAll View Post
Guys, they could have adopted the tot, or it is a grandchild, or be early age retirees. My Father retired at age 55, it happens.
The relevance is that adding a special needs toddler/school-age child into a $22K budget ... while looking for a $600-$700 per month rental (w/utilities?) will be difficult, but, not impossible. Do you have relatives or a support structure anywhere in Florida? You mentioned, wanting the child to be able to play outside, but how many trailer parks match the sunny day picture you are imagining?

As others have pointed-out, there are some small towns in Florida where you might be able to meet your budget objectives, but, do they have the schools, environment and amenities you want for your family and child? Many folks try the 'sell everything and pack-up and move to Florida' route, but, (particularly when children are involved), often quickly discover it's not all Disney World and orange trees.

Do your homework first. The sunshine is great, but, it doesn't pay the bills, plus your A/C costs will be higher than in Indiana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida