U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 02:33 PM

10,575 posts, read 10,857,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
Even easier. Go on Zillow.com - type in "Florida" - then click to show only rentals. Put maximum budget $700. There is a ton of stuff all over the state. Including 2/1's for under $600.

So the answer is, yes, you can easily move to Florida on that budget and you'll be fine. Just spend some time on Zillow, figure out where the areas are that you can afford, then maybe come back here and ask questions about those specific areas to see which is the best fit for you.
Agreed. Melbourne won't happen (at least not in a total dump). Lots of options in the middle I bet, away from the coasts and Orlando
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 02:52 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,372,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
In your original post, didn't you say you had thick skin?

Are you really retirement age? Is the toddler your grandchild? $22k is going to be tough to live on no matter where you live. I'd suggest one or both of you consider working if you make it to FL.
OP, I certainly do not mean to seem rude, but I agree with the above poster that one of you needs to go to work. People retire when their home, cars, etc., are paid for and they have little to no debt. You have a toddler for goodness sakes, they are expensive and will continue to become more expensive as he grows (hello, college). I have no idea how you all manage on 22K per year, anywhere in the country for that matter. I would highly suggest coming 'out of retirement' and becoming gainfully employed, imho.

Old 01-21-2016, 03:01 PM

2,524 posts, read 997,142 times
I didn't see the special needs part, yeah in small towns services shall be harder to get, but if they go kinda near Tallahassee I bet they could do it and go to TH for services for the child. Also near Jacksonville, rural areas but within an hour of JAX.

Old 01-21-2016, 06:13 PM

6,074 posts, read 5,337,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
There is a difference between being tough on someone, maybe a little snarky, and just being flat out nasty and a disgusting. marcopolo's comment was not even relevant, and just flat out rude and nasty. What kind of loser says things like that to people?
Sorry, just trying to jolt a little reality into the discussion.

"Hello, I'm in a slow-motion train wreck and want it to come out good."

Kudos to the posters who were able to propose a rethinking of some of the major elements of this plan, in a civil manner.

Old 01-22-2016, 06:39 AM

2,319 posts, read 1,857,508 times
From doing my own research on FL, I think there are certainly areas you could make it work on that budget. Panhandle or possibly central FL. I would start by looking at different cities and then checking rental prices, COL sites and crime/schools or whatever else is important to start narrowing down. It will take a lot of time but do not move without doing this extensively. We are in NE Ohio and planning a move south also. Good luck!

also, about those thinking 22k isnt doable in other parts of the US, it really is if you live modestly. We lived quite comfortably on a 24k a year income (both of us working full time when we were starting out) We had a mortgage and normal bills but saved money every month and ate out, went to movies, vacationed ect. Honestly, we never felt it was a small income.

Old 01-27-2016, 07:48 PM

851 posts, read 2,139,317 times
We had a toddler when my husband retired. She is our grand dughter but there could be a lot of reasons that retirees have a young child to raise! They could even be young retirees.
And that really wasn't her question anyway!
Forenzavue - you can make it people do everyday. The main thing is that you guys are happy and raise that child the best you can. Good luck to you whereever you end up.

Old 01-28-2016, 01:35 AM

8,706 posts, read 8,823,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
You'd be better off staying in Indiana.
I agree. I think it would be a bad move for y'all.

Old 01-30-2016, 06:43 AM

3,558 posts, read 6,211,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forenzavue View Post
Me and our fiancé have a toddler son. My fiancé wants to move down here but he will be netting maybe $22K a year after he retires...which is comfortable to live on in NE Indiana. We will also have $10K in savings. He lived in Florida as a kid and wants to go back. Our budget is $500-$700 per month for a house or trailer. Be honest: Are our chances dismal of getting family rental housing? We were looking at Melbourne or Hudson. My fiancé wants to sell most of our possessions and start over (furniture from a secondhand store, for instance). Your opinions, please... (You will not hurt my feelings...every time he brings this up, part of me is thinking, "Are you stupid or something?" While another part of me knows how beneficial it would be for our son to be able to go outside all the time as he has sensory seeking disorder)
Your $10,000 in savings will be gone in no time-especially if buying all the furniture and furnishings for a house. A furnished trailer might be an option but that will put you in some pretty raunchy places to live at that price.

Things you need to pay the first month.
1. First,last, and deposit for place to live. At $700 would be $2100.
2. Deposits for electricity and water(could run $150 each depending on credit rating)
3. Car registration, tags, and driver's licenses(around $500 for 1 car)
4. Auto insurance (about $1000 for 6 months but can pay monthly so figure a few hundred to get it started.

For a family of 3 some estimates......

1, food per month----figure $600 a month at least.
2. electricity .........figure $100 for the lowest bill but air could bring it up to $300 range some months.
3. water.....$40 but if on city sewer too plan $80 for water
4. bottled water for the month since most of us do not drink the well or city water down here because of the flavor and carcinogens in some areas (4 cases or more)
5. smart phone for 2 about $180
6. cable only- $85 with internet add another $50-$60
7. Dr visit without insurance or medicaid for you and son(assume fiance has medicare) about $120 for an office visit just to see you. Insurance for the 2 of you? not sure what it costs any more.
8. Daycare around $180 a week.
9. Gas for car- $80-$100 a month
10. clothes, illnesses, lawn care, replacing broken items, credit card bills?, emergencies that require you to get back to Indiana(can verify they cost about $1000 each time I come back(just for me) for a funeral or terminal family member visit) This trip for my sister's funeral is even costing more because I had already used all vacation days so going without pay for these 2 weeks and helping pay what her pre-payed funeral didn't pay is hurting some.

If you think you will be able to go to the theme parks sometime, just for a day for 2 adults and 1 child it will take about $350 of your monthly budget for the 1 day ticket and food for 1 small meal in the park.

Florida is not as cheap as people seem to think it is and there ends up being a lot of people who move down, fail to thrive down here, and end up moving back to their home state with more financial problems than when they got here. Does your fiance have family down here that could help out if need be? Years ago when I moved down from Chicago area and we were struggling to make ends meet right out of college, I realized the disadvantage of not living by family.......no free babysitting when you needed to go to a doctor, a meeting, or even out to a movie. Found out quickly we had to stay home or go just to places a baby was allowed.

My advice is think hard about the move. Sit down and deduct estimates for all the bills you will have to pay each month from the $1833 your fiance gets a month as a retiree.

If you do decide to come down I would advise one of you to get a job to help make the budget larger. Sounds like you may need special schools or doctors for the toddler as he ages so check out the schools and medical here to see what is available.
Being from the Midwest I know Indiana has a good school system and pretty good aid to low income families that you may not find available for you here in Florida.
If you do decide to come down, Good luck and I hope it all works out for the best for you.

Old 01-30-2016, 07:16 AM

108 posts, read 81,647 times
Although we found out we will clear $25K or so, my fiancé told me the other day that he realizes there is "less than a 10% chance" of us moving to Florida, anyway. Our options now are either to stay in Indiana or eventually move to my home state of Oklahoma (where my parents are located)...and I am sketchy about Oklahoma because they just slashed $47 million from the education budget. Indiana is not as bad as my fiancé is making it out to be...he only feels this way because the winters are brutal. Maybe we can save to go on a Florida vacation...that way, it will feel like a novelty.

Old 02-01-2016, 12:49 AM

5,927 posts, read 2,753,127 times
^ A extra income even at Minimum Wage will make Florida affordable for you and the state has no Income Tax unlike Indiana or Oklahoma which is dreadful state to live in ! (Have relatives there who are screaming to come back to Florida! )
Best of luck !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or