Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 02:56 PM

38 posts, read 35,197 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I'm a 26 yo single male and currently reside in North Pole, Alaska. I've been really considering moving to the other side of the country. I'm really looking to move to Florida, and I should mention I'm originally from Louisiana so I do have some southern background. I've been in Alaska for the last 7 years and I can't stand the long dark winters as well as the small population in my town.

As for cities, I've been thinking about Tampa or Orlando. I'm still in the research phase, but what should be on my checklist? Also what are the best cities for singles and for employment?

EDIT: I should also mention I have a 4 year degree in liberal arts and a certification in drafting/engineering. I graduated college last summer and have had a job in engineering field since graduation.

Last edited by Shinobi1001; 01-20-2016 at 03:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 06:41 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times
Woah, big weather change!

I think you're right on track by looking into Tampa and Orlando. I would say Tampa has a better nightlife scene and is better for meeting people overall. Orlando's nightlife is mainly centered in Downtown Orlando, which is small. Both cities are about equal on employment I think...Tampa might be a little better. I prefer Orlando to Tampa, but check them both out.

Miami is good, but I can understand if you don't want to live there. Ft. Lauderdale is nice as well. I hear Jacksonville is good for jobs, its not as nice as it should be...but still worth checking it out.

As a 26 year old single male (I am one too), I'd limit your options to those 5 cities. Anywhere smaller wouldn't be good for you socially or job-wise.

I think the best you can do is really research FL and see which of the big cities you prefer.

Old 01-20-2016, 08:58 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,442,779 times
Come down, use Orlando as a temp site, go job searching. You might be able to use your engineering in the yacht industry in Miami, shipyards in Tampa, etc.

Old 01-20-2016, 09:14 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,342,184 times
South Florida is NOTHING like Louisiana. I lived in Louisiana for 5 years, its a good place with nice people on average. The people are very different here. Further North you go the more "southern" it gets.

I'd suggest lining up a job prior to coming if you want something in your field. That will keep your options open and you can pick the area based on your job location. Otherwise you'll be looking at some form of tourism job and they don't pay well.

Good luck.

Old 01-20-2016, 09:35 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,337,371 times
Tampa and Orlando are fairly comparable in cost of living, nightlife, recreation, etc. Go with wherever your beat job opportunity is.

Old 01-20-2016, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Woah, big weather change!

I think you're right on track by looking into Tampa and Orlando. I would say Tampa has a better nightlife scene and is better for meeting people overall. Orlando's nightlife is mainly centered in Downtown Orlando, which is small. Both cities are about equal on employment I think...Tampa might be a little better. I prefer Orlando to Tampa, but check them both out.

Miami is good, but I can understand if you don't want to live there. Ft. Lauderdale is nice as well. I hear Jacksonville is good for jobs, its not as nice as it should be...but still worth checking it out.

As a 26 year old single male (I am one too), I'd limit your options to those 5 cities. Anywhere smaller wouldn't be good for you socially or job-wise.

I think the best you can do is really research FL and see which of the big cities you prefer.
Thanks, I was interested in Tampa because of the nightlife and the fact that I've heard Orlando has terrible traffic, if that's true. I'm more of a city person, not too big, but just enough to be able to get from location to location in a car. The place I'm at right now is not city, not even a town, lol, it's more like a settlement.

I fear I might be in for a culture shock though, because it's like talking a drastic 180 degree turn on my living environment.

Old 01-20-2016, 09:53 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aridon View Post
South Florida is NOTHING like Louisiana. I lived in Louisiana for 5 years, its a good place with nice people on average. The people are very different here. Further North you go the more "southern" it gets.

I'd suggest lining up a job prior to coming if you want something in your field. That will keep your options open and you can pick the area based on your job location. Otherwise you'll be looking at some form of tourism job and they don't pay well.

Good luck.
Tampa and Orlando are not South Florida.....just sayin'

Old 01-20-2016, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
Come down, use Orlando as a temp site, go job searching. You might be able to use your engineering in the yacht industry in Miami, shipyards in Tampa, etc.
Hmm, I should look into this. I wonder if the yacht industry hires CAD technicians

Old 01-20-2016, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
Tampa and Orlando are fairly comparable in cost of living, nightlife, recreation, etc. Go with wherever your beat job opportunity is.
I heard traffic is bad in Orlando, but that tech jobs are high in demand, any confirmation on this? I do want to enjoy the nightlife and club scene, as there is none of that where I currently reside

Old 01-20-2016, 11:18 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,337,371 times
Traffic in Orlando can get pretty bad, especially now that the major highway (I4) is under construction. But if you dont mind tolls and learn the local roads you can find your way around any traffic jam. And yes tech is a strong and growing industry in Orlando. Regardless of where you end up tbere will be culture shock. Anyone making the reverse move would also have culture shock so the feeling should be normal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida