U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 08:22 AM

12,135 posts, read 13,217,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Then move.
That would be reasonable for a person who dislikes their surroundings. Why not be where your desires can be met? I never could understand why people subject themselves to conditions that do not satisfy their needs. 49 other states. Pick one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 09:27 AM

525 posts, read 459,532 times
Loves

- the weather, even summer. No point in fighting the heat b/c it will never change
- i love the tropical/semi tropical variety of plants/trees/flowers we can grow here.
- access to beaches. Yes the excitement quickly dies down, but it never gets old being able to go to the beach 24/7 with a ten minute drive
- The fact i can take vacations in state and see so many cool things.
- NO SNOW EVER, after growing up the northeast (first 25 years of my life) i hate that stuff with a passion and hope to never see it again
- no state income tax

Hates

- the drivers and lack of any traffic enforcement, people are just simply insane down here compared to NY bc no one worries about getting a ticket. In NY or anywhere up there you wouldn't dare do the stuff i see down here b.c you know without a doubt you will get stopped
- being far from family since everyone else still lives up north
- seemingly much larger population of just plain and simple uneducated ghetto trash (both black and white) compared to other states.

Old 01-25-2016, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02blackgt View Post
Loves

- the weather, even summer. No point in fighting the heat b/c it will never change
- i love the tropical/semi tropical variety of plants/trees/flowers we can grow here.
- access to beaches. Yes the excitement quickly dies down, but it never gets old being able to go to the beach 24/7 with a ten minute drive
- The fact i can take vacations in state and see so many cool things.
- NO SNOW EVER, after growing up the northeast (first 25 years of my life) i hate that stuff with a passion and hope to never see it again
- no state income tax

Hates

- the drivers and lack of any traffic enforcement, people are just simply insane down here compared to NY bc no one worries about getting a ticket. In NY or anywhere up there you wouldn't dare do the stuff i see down here b.c you know without a doubt you will get stopped
- being far from family since everyone else still lives up north
- seemingly much larger population of just plain and simple uneducated ghetto trash (both black and white) compared to other states.
There is 6,300 miles of road in NY, as per the New York City Department of Transportation. How many cops would you need to patrol that?

Old 01-25-2016, 05:30 PM

17,456 posts, read 10,534,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
I love the warm weather, but humidity is not my first choice. I prefer Arizona, a dry heat. Mosquitos too, can't stand 'em. Southerners hate northerners, but they're very happy to take your money. Arizona I find people to be very friendly.
Now not all Southerners hate Northerners. Of course when I get called a Yankee (and I am not).

If the person looks like they have a sense of humor I ask them to use the proper term ..................... winner.

Old 01-25-2016, 06:33 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,043,620 times
They don't know how to make NY style pizza here. NY pizza is dripping with oil and grease on top. They don't use enough grease here.

Old 01-25-2016, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Falcon View Post
They don't know how to make NY style pizza here. NY pizza is dripping with oil and grease on top. They don't use enough grease here.
The oil you mention is from cheap "commercial pizza cheese". The only oil on pizza would be a virtually un-noticeable olive oil. Good pizza is made with fresh mozzarella cheese.

Old 01-25-2016, 08:13 PM

1,342 posts, read 1,385,985 times
I like the weather, being able to walk to the beach, the beach, the beach. Tropical plants grown outdoors, not having snowzilla. About the only thing I miss are great ethnic restaurants.

Old 01-26-2016, 08:02 AM

704 posts, read 571,504 times
What I love:
Beach and more beaches and living 5 minutes from a beach instead of an 8 hr. + drive
Yes, it get's hot here but not nearly as hot as DFW - the heat doesn't take your breath away here
No snow and ice
I can wear flip flops and shorts at least 9 months out of the year
palm trees - I have 29 - couldn't be happier
friendly people
the natural beauty
and the list goes on.

Old 01-26-2016, 08:04 AM

22,553 posts, read 47,262,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Now not all Southerners hate Northerners. Of course when I get called a Yankee (and I am not).

If the person looks like they have a sense of humor I ask them to use the proper term ..................... winner.
You are not a Southerner, hence a Yankee. By the way, out of the US we are all considered Yankees, hence "The Yanks are coming!"

Let me be clear, you're from California, you're a Yankee.

Old 01-26-2016, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
You are not a Southerner, hence a Yankee. By the way, out of the US we are all considered Yankees, hence "The Yanks are coming!"

Let me be clear, you're from California, you're a Yankee.
You are correct.

Yankee | Define Yankee at Dictionary.com
Yankee
[yang-kee]
noun
1. a native or inhabitant of the United States.
2. a native or inhabitant of New England.
3. a native or inhabitant of a northern U.S. state, especially of one of the northeastern states that sided with the Union in the American Civil War.
4. a federal or northern soldier in the American Civil War.
5. a word used in communications to represent the letter Y.
6. Military. the NATO name for a class of Soviet ballistic missile submarine, nuclear powered, with up to 16 missile launchers.

adjective
7. of, relating to, or characteristic of a Yankee or Yankees:
Yankee ingenuity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida