U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 12:34 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,283,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
If you can land a good job in South Florida to afford the very high COL...it's a great place to live. IF you are independently wealthy and do not need to work, then you will be in good company.

There are professions here that shine better elsewhere and do very poorly here...a lot of people throw away their futures to live the Margaritaville Lifestyle and are often not happy after the vacation mentality wears off. Florida has always been noted for paying low wages even for professional degree required positions, while this may work in North Florida or areas with a lower cost of living, South Florida nope...secret is work for the County, Medical Profession or Wealth Management/Finance.
Yes, I guess that is why there is so many retired people there---no need to work about a job. It is best to stay in Florida for awhile instead of just a week here and there. You really do have to get out of the "vacation mode". It's like a new relationship---everything is hunky dory when it's new but the true test is putting up with the negative things too. LOLOLOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 09:21 PM

6,009 posts, read 3,339,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromCTtoFL View Post
You're right on target re: snow - an absolute blast when you're young - sledding, skiing, snow boarding, ice skating, snow during Christmas season, waking up to no school on a snow day, snow ball fights, building snowmen, forts, making snow angels - best childhood memories EVER. Seriously, wouldn't trade my childhood in the NE for anything!

As a middle-aged parent - skiing, snow boarding is expensive & can't risk breaking my leg, neck, etc and missing work, not being able to care for myself, kids etc. Snow shoveling SUCKS - use muscles that never get used, if you don't drop dead from a heart attack, you'll feel like a truck ran over you for days. "Snow days" just mean scrambling to find childcare while not missing work, being stuck in traffic for hours, and having even the simplest errand (like grocery shopping) take HOURS instead of minutes. Plus the snow beats the heck out of your car (salt, potholes, fender-benders), damages your house (ice damming, roof leaks, driveway potholes, kills plants/bushes/trees, etc) and makes it really difficult to plan anything more than a few days in advance (MD appointments, birthday parties, get togethers) because you don't know when a snow/ice storm will hit. We are sooooooo done with it and couldn't be happier!

Fall leaves combined with 50 degree days are awesome (used to love the smell of piles of burning leaves - although it's been banned in many areas), apple picking, jumping in leaf piles, crisp cool sunshine with Canadian blue skies, those first few sweater days, ahhhhhh - but those days are short lived, maybe a week or so at best, unfortunately.

I say snow is a blast when you're new to it in general, regardless of age. A few winters ago I was with my family (extended family, bunch of cousins) in Tennessee and you shoulda seen it, bunch of 30something year olds who have never seen snow, going down the hills on an inflatable mattress Snow brings out the kid in me, and I'm willing to put up with the chores of snow (shovelling, driving to work) to have it be a quarter of my year and be able to enjoy its serenity. But I'm the kind of guy who isn't put off by weather, snow, rain or hail. I'm not even put off by the tornadoes we get in my neck of the woods. I'll take a good old twister over a hurricane, and even then those don't bother me. Earthquakes though, one of the many reasons I can't do the west coast.

Old 02-27-2016, 08:43 AM

13,572 posts, read 9,235,347 times
I just hate our boring weather and lack of rain for my area.

Old 02-27-2016, 03:10 PM

3,603 posts, read 1,978,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
I just hate our boring weather and lack of rain for my area.
Jeez,you're right.
Another boring day.Blue skies,no rain,temperatures in the mid 6os.This is soooooo boring.
I want to wake up tomorrow to rain and snow and hailstorms and thunder and lightning and six feet of snow and frozen pipes and shovelling my drive in the morning.
Anything but ANOTHER day at the beach.
Man,that is sooooo boring.

Old 02-27-2016, 03:27 PM

499 posts, read 412,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Jeez,you're right.
Another boring day.Blue skies,no rain,temperatures in the mid 6os.This is soooooo boring.
I want to wake up tomorrow to rain and snow and hailstorms and thunder and lightning and six feet of snow and frozen pipes and shovelling my drive in the morning.
Hahaha! So true! I'm so bored, I'm practically giddy

Old 02-27-2016, 03:35 PM

499 posts, read 412,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I say snow is a blast when you're new to it in general, regardless of age. A few winters ago I was with my family (extended family, bunch of cousins) in Tennessee and you shoulda seen it, bunch of 30something year olds who have never seen snow, going down the hills on an inflatable mattress Snow brings out the kid in me, and I'm willing to put up with the chores of snow (shovelling, driving to work) to have it be a quarter of my year and be able to enjoy its serenity. But I'm the kind of guy who isn't put off by weather, snow, rain or hail. I'm not even put off by the tornadoes we get in my neck of the woods. I'll take a good old twister over a hurricane, and even then those don't bother me. Earthquakes though, one of the many reasons I can't do the west coast.
There is a (teeny-tiny) part of me that will always love the snow. There is something about the first snowfall of the season that I enjoy, plus snow during the holidays is very Christmassssy. But it gets old - pretty fast, especially by March and April.

Earthquakes - holy cow! I am totally with you on that. I remember learning about the great 1906 San Francisco quake when I was in school and it scared the crap out of me. I could never live on the West Coast, although I have good friends that live in California and love it.

Old 02-27-2016, 04:11 PM

13,572 posts, read 9,235,347 times
Quote:
Jeez,you're right.
Much rather have a CAT1 Hurricane or a ball buster front like we had back on Xmas eve day in 1983 with 45knt winds and a low of 19 and a high of 38 like we had on Xmas day. But i will sure take today over what we will get from May till Oct.

BTW. i don't do beaches. Only time i see a beach is when i am headed 80 to 100 miles offshore to fish or coming back in.

Old 02-27-2016, 07:02 PM

8,964 posts, read 6,212,042 times
Quote:
Jeez,you're right.
But those 60s never last long. Great when it's here but goes so quickly.

Old 03-04-2016, 04:45 PM

2,056 posts, read 2,449,688 times
I thought it was yes or no?

No.

Old 03-04-2016, 05:28 PM

17,413 posts, read 10,500,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
But those 60s never last long. Great when it's here but goes so quickly.
Thank goodness, 60 is still cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida