Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2006, 07:08 AM

317 posts, read 1,229,484 times

Advertisements

Most of the people that are moving to NJ are from NY.

In your town, where does it seem most people are from or coming from?

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!...and special thanks to everyone who has responded to my posts. The information provided has been so helpful.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2006, 07:20 AM

9,363 posts, read 14,307,279 times
In southern Palm Beach County (Boca Raton, Delray Beach, Boynton Beach) it seems they mostly come from Haiti and certain other Caribbean countries and central and south American countries (Dominican Republic, Jamaica, Cuba, Guatemala, Colombia, Argentina, less so from Mexico), including those coming up from Dade and Broward counties.

In places like Walgreens and Walmart I hear Spanish spoken more and more as the months pass: I'm virtually bilingual - by study of Spanish as a foreign language, recognizing the absolute necessity of it a few years ago in the globalized economy - so no problem for me.

As for intra-US immigration, I'd say the northeast in general, New York, Massachussets, Connecticut, New Jersey, roughly in that order, plus Quebec and Ontario (judging by the license plates I see, in the off-season too).

Last edited by bale002; 11-20-2006 at 07:28 AM..

Old 11-20-2006, 07:30 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,442,065 times
Hi Nancy and Happy Thanksgiving to you, too. Since I don't live in Fla., I won't comment on your question.

Old 11-20-2006, 05:09 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,905,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
In southern Palm Beach County (Boca Raton, Delray Beach, Boynton Beach) it seems they mostly come from Haiti and certain other Caribbean countries and central and south American countries (Dominican Republic, Jamaica, Cuba, Guatemala, Colombia, Argentina, less so from Mexico), including those coming up from Dade and Broward counties.

In places like Walgreens and Walmart I hear Spanish spoken more and more as the months pass: I'm virtually bilingual - by study of Spanish as a foreign language, recognizing the absolute necessity of it a few years ago in the globalized economy - so no problem for me.

As for intra-US immigration, I'd say the northeast in general, New York, Massachussets, Connecticut, New Jersey, roughly in that order, plus Quebec and Ontario (judging by the license plates I see, in the off-season too).
I would say the same thing.

Old 11-20-2006, 05:14 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,747,624 times
I could never figure out how penniless refugees could afford to live in overpriced areas in south Florida. The refugees keep pouring in, the prices go up, but they keep comming. What gives?

Old 11-20-2006, 05:17 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,905,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
I could never figure out how penniless refugees could afford to live in overpriced areas in south Florida. The refugees keep pouring in, the prices go up, but they keep comming. What gives?
Drugs? gangs? I don't know but I would like to know also.

Old 11-21-2006, 12:44 AM

9,363 posts, read 14,307,279 times
For the most part it seems they work in service jobs and many live together in rented condos and apartments, whether older or newer.

If one looks hard, reasonable rental rates are possible to find, or, as mentioned, many live together in expensive ones.
Furthermore, as you know, virtually anyone who can fog a mirror can obtain 10-15 credit cards in this country, but seriously, anyone who works and can make minimum monthly payments.

Now, as has been the case throughout US history, many immigrants go into small businesses, and they must have some money from their original countries because start-up costs are indeed high. Some come "penniless", but some don't, so don't cloud your thinking with exaggerated generalizations.

Believe it or not, some of them are educated too, especially it seems in the medical field (medical personnel and doctors abroad are just as intellectually capable, if not more, than a US or European doctor, but they mostly lack advanced facilities and equipment in their home countries), and of course southern Palm Beach is a good market for medical services.

Yes, some are into illicit activities, but probably not in a greater percentage than any other group, then, now or in future.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:29 PM

767 posts, read 1,743,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
For the most part it seems they work in service jobs and many live together in rented condos and apartments, whether older or newer.
I think this is a big reason which is had in common by such persons regardless of occupation or income.

It's what I've seen in my area which I think is similar to yours.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:41 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,772,204 times
I would think most people moving from the continental U.S. to Florida, are northerners wanting to escape the cold winters and/or retirees . That is my reason for coming to the Panhandle of Florida. I found it to be a very good move thus far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida