Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 06:35 AM

5,687 posts, read 7,181,006 times

Advertisements

Why? At a time when Americans and many Floridians are under financial stress, Disney fires 250 workers in Florida and if that wasn't enough, forces them to train their replacements from India if they want to get their severance pay. I find this beyond disgusting, and bad for the state, especially the Orlando area.

Walt Disney World Fired Americans to Hire Foreigners, Suit Alleges - US News

Here is a list of Disney holdings:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...wned_by_Disney

Consider switching off ESPN and ABC as well. Try to live without Marvel movies.

If your children cry out for Disney, use this as a teachable moment.

I realize this is a bit of old news, but the workers are suing and could use our support.

I grew up with Disney, the Mouseketeers, the movies, etc. I remember when Walt Disney used to do introductions to the movies, and specials on animation. He has been replaced by soulless corporate cretins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2016, 06:38 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
You can have a teachable moment with your children at any time not just when they cry out for disney.
As far as the rest goes, I don't watch television, don't watch many movies and seriously doubt my lack of purchasing anything Disney and never having been to one of their Amusement Parks has impacted their bottom line of profit.

Old 02-01-2016, 06:39 AM

14,945 posts, read 12,139,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Why? At a time when Americans and many Floridians are under financial stress, Disney fires 250 workers in Florida and if that wasn't enough, forces them to train their replacements from India if they want to get their severance pay. I find this beyond disgusting, and bad for the state, especially the Orlando area.

I realize this is a bit of old news, but the workers are suing and could use our support.

I grew up with Disney, the Mouseketeers, the movies, etc. I remember when Walt Disney used to do introductions to the movies, and specials on animation. He has been replaced by soulless corporate cretins.
We have boycotted Disney for very long time, for a number of reasons. This one, IMO, is part of its culture of greed, and probably the best specific reason to start boycotting this empire.

Old 02-01-2016, 06:45 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,579,034 times
Quote:

Not suggesting to abandon your boycott but Disney has renounced their outsourcing strategy due to negative press generated by that NYT Article.

Disney reverses plan to replace tech employees with outsourced workers - LA Times

Old 02-01-2016, 06:56 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,037,668 times
Sorry, just booked our family trip to Disney for June.
Disney, like any other company, is in business to make money. Yes, they're very good at what they do and they make a $hit ton of money, but that's the name of the game.

If you're a shareholder in Disney (which you probably are if you have a 401K or pension), you want them to make as much money as possible so the share price goes up so YOU make more money.....

Old 02-01-2016, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
Not suggesting to abandon your boycott but Disney has renounced their outsourcing strategy due to negative press generated by that NYT Article.

Disney reverses plan to replace tech employees with outsourced workers - LA Times
"In January, Disney eliminated 250 technology positions at the Walt Disney World resort in Orlando, Fla., and replaced them with 320 new roles. Some 120 workers were rehired, 40 retired or moved to other companies and 90 took severance packages.

Several affected workers complained that, in exchange for severance packets, they were asked to train younger, less-compensated replacements from India."

Thanks for posting that. The date of the article is June 17, but I recently saw an ad by FAIR US regarding the situation here in Florida, featuring a couple of the fired tech workers. All is still not well, and the practice of making fired workers train their cheaper replacements is just gross, IMO. Adding insult to injury. I'll continue my boycott and educate others on how these multinationals treat their employees.

The first reply in the thread was interesting, especially this line:

"You can have a teachable moment with your children at any time not just when they cry out for disney."

I suspect that's true, but a creative parent could think of a way to still the cries for Disney.

Where are our Senators? Oh, right, one is running for Prez and the other is gumming his food. And it's very possible both have received donations from Disney at one time or another.

Old 02-01-2016, 07:00 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,158,484 times
Quote:

Considering Disney stock is a big part of every Pension and 401K plan and is a big component of DOW and S&P 500 the boycott is really against the widows and orphans who own Disney stock not Disney.

Old 02-01-2016, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightfulNYC View Post
Considering Disney stock is a big part of every Pension and 401K plan and is a big component of DOW and S&P 500 the boycott is really against the widows and orphans who own Disney stock not Disney.
LOLZ! Widows and orphans.

Old 02-01-2016, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Sorry, just booked our family trip to Disney for June.
Disney, like any other company, is in business to make money. Yes, they're very good at what they do and they make a $hit ton of money, but that's the name of the game.

If you're a shareholder in Disney (which you probably are if you have a 401K or pension), you want them to make as much money as possible so the share price goes up so YOU make more money.....
Boycotting Disney products, services and holdings is, of course, a matter of personal choice. That's why my post includes the word "Consider".

Old 02-01-2016, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Boycotting Disney products, services and holdings is, of course, a matter of personal choice. That's why my post includes the word "Consider".
But just for the record, my income doesn't depend on Disney. However, the fired tech workers did have incomes that depend on Disney and they were treated like so much garbage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida