U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 05:34 PM

3,504 posts, read 7,919,003 times

Advertisements

Try the Gulf of Mexico - many days there is not even a ripple
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2016, 08:27 PM
KPB

1,428 posts, read 911,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredesch View Post
The spring in Ponce DeLeon Springs State Park is enclosed by a retaining wall and has a sidewalk and lawn around it. No gators can sneak in without being seen.
And can even make your own pancakes at your own table at the old sugarmill turned into a restaurant at that park.

Old 02-07-2016, 07:45 AM

10,271 posts, read 12,126,655 times
Quote:
No gators can sneak in without being seen.
Yeah. During the day.
Them gators are sneaky and resourceful!

Old 02-07-2016, 01:34 PM

5,556 posts, read 5,025,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy in Nokomis View Post
Try the Gulf of Mexico - many days there is not even a ripple
True, but during the summer I find the Gulf water to be unpleasantly warm and if there's been a storm, even off shore, there's all sorts of "stuff" in it. When we first moved to the area, we ran into some locals at a swimming hole and they said they avoided the Gulf during the summer and kept to the rivers and springs.

Last edited by kmarc; 02-07-2016 at 01:35 PM.. Reason: Clarification

Old 02-07-2016, 04:28 PM

9,080 posts, read 8,217,916 times
Venetian Pool in Coral Gables.

It's an old rock quarry I believe.

Old 02-09-2016, 09:42 AM

823 posts, read 856,540 times
Down in the Keys you rarely have waves worth mentioning and the water is usually very clear. It also warms up to the mid 80's during the summer. You can also get some pretty strong tidal movement which allow you to get in a good swimming workout without actually moving very far. I would recommend Bahia Honda state park.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:53 PM

1,338 posts, read 1,383,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPB View Post
And can even make your own pancakes at your own table at the old sugarmill turned into a restaurant at that park.
I could be wrong, but I thought the 'mill' at Ponce DeLeon Springs was a fake mill built to house the restaurant.

Old 02-11-2016, 12:53 PM

772 posts, read 1,622,717 times
sunset park on Ramrod key Florida aka ramrod swimming hole. the horseshoe on the southside of us1 about a 1/2 mile from Bahia Honda SP

Old 02-14-2016, 11:38 PM

48 posts, read 29,055 times
Quote:
The spring in Ponce DeLeon Springs State Park is enclosed by a retaining wall and has a sidewalk and lawn around it. No gators can sneak in without being seen.
Oh thanks for telling me that, because it was one of my concerns. And I'll be heading out to that neck of the woods in a couple of months, I hope, on my way to Ft. Lauderdale, stopping at a few places, especially de leon springs state park. It looks delightful, and has handicap access, just for me. (Bad knees.) The photos of the springs in Florida are so beautiful -- makes me feel good just to look at them! And de leon springs state park is close enough to I-95. I've been looking at motels in the area -- and am checking out some retirement places in the sun. :-)

Old 02-14-2016, 11:48 PM

48 posts, read 29,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Venetian Pool in Coral Gables.

It's an old rock quarry I believe.
I've been there, it's a hefty fee if you're not a resident of Coral Gables. And quite commercialized. Plus it takes me a while to get into Coral Gables.
What I found beautiful is the state park near A1A in North Miami, quiet, beautiful, and near Biscayne Bay. If I had to make do with that, I would. There are no waves to speak of. Can't remember the name right now - but going south on I95 from Ft. Lauderdale to Miami, it's about the 2nd exit from Dade, close to Sunny Isles. Just beautiful and easy swimming, no waves from the ocean. Nice ride back home on A1A.
And no fear of being bitten by sharks. Can see little fish in the water. :-)
They also have kayaking, bicycling, and fishing. We have a condo in Ft. Lauderdale, but in the long run I really would like to live near a spring with good swimming access.
We went to a spring on the west side of Florida a few years ago, near Port Charlotte. It was nice then, but still commercialized. And I hear it was taken over by the city and not nearly as nice as it used to be.
OK, I looked up the park in Dade/Miami. It's beautiful. Oleta River State Park. Wonderful. A little bit of paradise.
As far as living near a beautiful and accessible spring, I can always dream about it. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida