Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 01:57 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,183,271 times

Advertisements

Scott signed the order Wednesday to cover Miami-Dade, Lee, Hillsborough and Santa Rosa counties.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2016...test.html?_r=0

Also, please consider researching information on DDT, which may have been given a very raw deal by the EPA under Nixon, perhaps to benefit DuPont and other companies and their lousy products.

The Silent Spring by Rachel Carson may have been nothing more than propaganda.

Please do your own research and draw your own conclusions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2016, 02:25 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,897,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Scott signed the order Wednesday to cover Miami-Dade, Lee, Hillsborough and Santa Rosa counties.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2016...test.html?_r=0

Also, please consider researching information on DDT, which may have been given a very raw deal by the EPA under Nixon, perhaps to benefit DuPont and other companies and their lousy products.

The Silent Spring by Rachel Carson may have been nothing more than propaganda.

Please do your own research and draw your own conclusions.
There are better, natural ways to protect ourselves from the potential (and relatively unlikely) harm from mosquitoes than exposing all of our bodies, our children's bodies, our drinking water, our agriculture, and our environment, to years of massive amounts of chemicals. A walk-through of homes at the county level to eradicate sources of mosquito breeding/standing water has been proven highly effective in developed locations throughout the world when diseases are a threat. One can make natural mosquito catchers. Some people say that Mosquito Magnets are also effective. There are natural bug repellants to plant in yards and to spread on skin. You can also avoid being out during prime mosquito times early and late in the day, and cover up when you are out there.

In most cases, even if you are one of the very few who catch a disease via a mosquito bite, you are not going to have long-lasting effects, you will simply feel bad for a week or two and then get over it. If you are not pregnant, you will not have to worry about an unborn fetus having complications.

I am glad that so far at least, Monroe County has not had any cases. But there is no reason to expose the entire population and future generations to cancer, Autism, M.E., and other chronic and life-threatening conditions, out of a panic that in the end will likely only affect a handful out people in the entire state. The chemicals we dump into our ground and water, don't disappear... they just build up decade after decade, affecting everything we eat and drink, and everything natural we enjoy looking at and co-existing with.

Let's not get hysterical. The US has had cases of Dengue, Yellow fever, Chikungunya, West Nile, and various other mosquito-borne diseases, and none of them have become a widespread epidemic yet. But guess what has? Cancers, Autism, and various chronic diseases - some of which do not even have names or treatments yet. Most have strong evidence tying them to various chemicals in the environment and in our food.

But ironically, no one has declared a health emergency for cancer, various chronic diseases, or for heart disease - all of which are thousands of times more likely to kill you than Zika. Talk about propaganda... We could actually do something about this in Florida. If we were really worried about our population's health, we could make helmets mandatory on motorcycles, create mass transit options and strictly enforce speed limits on FL highways, make marketplace healthcare affordable in the state of Florida, improve mental health care, outlaw assault weapons, improve resources for domestic violence and child abuse, outlaw cancer-causing chemicals in our food, landscaping, sunscreen, and cleaning supplies... But I don't believe the Florida govt. is really that concerned about the health of Florida residents, not when it comes to the financial bottom line, and lining their political campaign pockets.

I'm not saying Zika isn't serious. But our chances of getting taken out and truly suffering long-term are a million times higher with other health threats, and if we're going to freak out I would suggest starting there.

Old 02-03-2016, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishKey View Post
There are better, natural ways to protect ourselves from the potential (and relatively unlikely) harm from mosquitoes than exposing all of our bodies, our children's bodies, our drinking water, our agriculture, and our environment, to years of massive amounts of chemicals. A walk-through of homes at the county level to eradicate sources of mosquito breeding/standing water has been proven highly effective in developed locations throughout the world when diseases are a threat. One can make natural mosquito catchers. Some people say that Mosquito Magnets are also effective. There are natural bug repellants to plant in yards and to spread on skin. You can also avoid being out during prime mosquito times early and late in the day, and cover up when you are out there.

In most cases, even if you are one of the very few who catch a disease via a mosquito bite, you are not going to have long-lasting effects, you will simply feel bad for a week or two and then get over it. If you are not pregnant, you will not have to worry about an unborn fetus having complications.

I am glad that so far at least, Monroe County has not had any cases. But there is no reason to expose the entire population and future generations to cancer, Autism, M.E., and other chronic and life-threatening conditions, out of a panic that in the end will likely only affect a handful out people in the entire state. The chemicals we dump into our ground and water, don't disappear... they just build up decade after decade, affecting everything we eat and drink, and everything natural we enjoy looking at and co-existing with.

Let's not get hysterical. The US has had cases of Dengue, Yellow fever, Chikungunya, West Nile, and various other mosquito-borne diseases, and none of them have become a widespread epidemic yet. But guess what has? Cancers, Autism, and various chronic diseases - some of which do not even have names or treatments yet. Most have strong evidence tying them to various chemicals in the environment and in our food.

But ironically, no one has declared a health emergency for cancer, various chronic diseases, or for heart disease - all of which are thousands of times more likely to kill you than Zika. Talk about propaganda... We could actually do something about this in Florida. If we were really worried about our population's health, we could make helmets mandatory on motorcycles, create mass transit options and strictly enforce speed limits on FL highways, make marketplace healthcare affordable in the state of Florida, improve mental health care, outlaw assault weapons, improve resources for domestic violence and child abuse, outlaw cancer-causing chemicals in our food, landscaping, sunscreen, and cleaning supplies... But I don't believe the Florida govt. is really that concerned about the health of Florida residents, not when it comes to the financial bottom line, and lining their political campaign pockets.

I'm not saying Zika isn't serious. But our chances of getting taken out and truly suffering long-term are a million times higher with other health threats, and if we're going to freak out I would suggest starting there.
I am in general agreement and I have found the regular intake of a good 50mg+ dose of vitamin B complex to be an excellent deterrent to mosquito bites. I do think, however, if spraying must take place, DDT deserves a second look. However, as I've said, it's up to people to do the research pro and con and form their own opinion.

Old 02-03-2016, 06:58 PM

10,233 posts, read 6,319,495 times
I heard this morning that two cases were reported in Ft. Myers. NONE of the cases in all of Florida were locally acquired. NONE were pregnant women.

Spray with DDT? When they spray you lawn, what do the signs say? Do not walk on this grass for 24 hours. Do you want to stay locked up in your house during and after they have sprayed with DDT too?

When they sprayed for mosquitoes where I used to live during West Nile, it was announced on all media to stay inside. They even had SIRENS going off before they sprayed. That should do wonders for the Tourist Trade.

Old 02-03-2016, 07:33 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,259,424 times
All this over 9 cases in the entire state, probably all brought in from Brazil.

Here we go--another Ebola freak out.

Old 02-04-2016, 08:36 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,897,566 times
Awareness is good. Panic, and overreation, is not. Here is some info on Zika for those who don't know, which came from an emergency management notification service I'm on:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Transmission occurs through the bite of an infected mosquito, including the same mosquitoes that can transmit Dengue and Chikungunya. Perinatal (in utero), possible sexual & transfusion transmission has also been reported.

Symptoms

One in five (20%) people infected with Zika virus becomes symptomatic but, usually with mild symptoms which may occur 2-7 days after the mosquito vector bite and last no more than one week. Symptoms include:
• mild fever;
• skin rash or redness ( covered by elevated bumps);
• headaches;
• arthralgia (joint stiffness) ;
• myalgia ( episode or zones of muscular pain) ;
• asthenia (lack of energy or loss of strength); and
• conjunctivitis (pink eye - inflammation of the eye & inner surface of the eyelids, redness and
discharge).

Treatment

Researchers at Genekam have developed a test that reveals whether there are Zika pathogens in a
blood sample, and how many pathogens exist. The test works in real-time, examines DNA and works with chemicals that react to the Zika virus only. Until now, patients could not be diagnosed unless they developed symptoms. Test kits are being supplied to laboratories and institutes with sufficient know-how and the appropriate equipment to conduct the testing. Link to complete news article: City-Data.com - Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, crime, house prices, cost of living, races, home value estimator, recent sales, income, photos, schools, maps, weather, neighborhoods, and more . dw. comlenlfirst-zika-test-developed-in-qermanv/a-19013319

Recommended Prevention

• Eliminate mosquito breeding sites in and around households where water can collect.
• Apply insect repellent and wear clothes that protect and cover the body.
• Use physical barriers against mosquitoes ( screens, doors, mosquito nets when sleeping)
especially during the day when mosquitoes are most active.

For additional information on the Zika virus, please visit:
o WHO | Zika virus
o Zika Virus | Zika virus | CDC
o http://www.floridahealth.gov/diseses...ons/zika-virus

Old 02-04-2016, 10:30 AM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishKey View Post

Those illnesses are not transmitted?? and they already have research and money poured into it- we have a large Brazilian population- and as one case was passed on sexually- this is about un born babies- stop minimizing the threat to those most vulnerable.

Old 02-04-2016, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Those illnesses are not transmitted?? and they already have research and money poured into it- we have a large Brazilian population- and as one case was passed on sexually- this is about un born babies- stop minimizing the threat to those most vulnerable.
Spot on, trump! If it was just a matter of people getting some fever, chills and a rash, that's one thing. But the danger to babies is not to be taken lightly. Dooming them to a life of malformation and diminished capacity is beyond cruel. It's certainly no joke in Brazil. If I am bitten by a mosquito with the virus, I then become a danger to pregnant mothers and their unborn children.

Old 02-04-2016, 03:09 PM

if you see my profile I am a gma of a special needs child- he is in heaven but never ever not try to prevent such tragedies if possible. He was a sweet angel- but our family cried many tears- PREVENT when can!

Old 02-04-2016, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
I am in general agreement and I have found the regular intake of a good 50mg+ dose of vitamin B complex to be an excellent deterrent to mosquito bites. I do think, however, if spraying must take place, DDT deserves a second look. However, as I've said, it's up to people to do the research pro and con and form their own opinion.
If prego this vitamin quantity might not be reasonable- as the lotions and bug sprays for your body- I am not a DR but mosquitoes are everywhere. In Manatee County Fl they do not spray- the mosquitoes are like a massive air force attacking you at your door- its terrible and If I was pregnant I'd be terrified.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida