U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 06:36 PM

11,198 posts, read 7,594,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Why would anyone know if another person is transgender unless that person made a habit of informing the people they encountered?
Some people can't pass but still choose to live as the gender they feel they are. I used to go to a liquor store that had a male to female black transgendered lady, to me it was obvious maybe not to all. I don't think people really care. Especially in that area which was around Oakland Park near Ft. Lauderdale/Wilton Manors.

Look at Big Ange from Mob Wives, she looks like a man but was born female.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 07:00 PM

5,556 posts, read 5,007,644 times
I would think parts of St. Pete would be TG-friendly, but it is vulnerable in the event of a hurricane.

Old 02-06-2016, 12:19 AM

6,760 posts, read 3,773,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyRoos View Post
Trust me, you would only know if you were Transgender or have been around those that are.....they are always afraid of being "made"
Anyway, Thanks for your input.
Like Jenner? Seems like there's a bunch who love the spotlight.

Old 02-06-2016, 06:14 AM

21,080 posts, read 30,119,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Like Jenner? Seems like there's a bunch who love the spotlight.
So using one example now equates to a bunch? Clearly you have unresolved issues with the topic and might find it time to move on.

Old 02-06-2016, 07:37 AM

68 posts, read 69,730 times
Quote:
Thank you JWolfer
I appreciate your advice We do not want to live on the Atlantic side thanks for sharing what you know
I am very confused by your posts...why would you discount the entire atlantic side of Florida? You realize that the atlantic coast is much more populated than the gulf coast right? In any event, since you've decided to write off half the state, that leaves you with a lot fewer options. You will not be able to live along the panhandle. I don't care what any southern defenders have to say, the Pensacola area, all the way down the coast until the metro North areas of Tampa are conservative, religious minded and not live and let live at all. You will be singled out, at some point in time, and that is my opinion. Especially for being trans. Now I believe you said you specifically weren't trans so why are you so interested in an area that is inclusive to trans people? Is it because you find it to be a proxy for how tolerant an area is?

Really, I would only recommend Tampa for you but I've only been to the area twice so I don't know enough to recommend it. In Miami, where I live, I know of a few trans people that I've encountered randomly (like my fiance's hairdresser!) And they all seem to be OK from quick conversations. Despite your inclination to avoid the Atlantic coast, SE Florida is by far the most tolerant live and let live part of the state. People don't feel the need to but intobyour personal business and won't publicly harass you for being as you please.

Old 02-06-2016, 10:19 AM

8,707 posts, read 8,762,390 times
Quote:
What I was asking, actually, was if anyone has had any bad experiences with small minded people in a certain city, etc. Sorry I wasn't clear
Yes. My F-I-L and his latest wife, who live in the countryside area of Clearwater, are both far right wing super religious closed minded people and very hateful of gays and pretty much anyone who does not think like them. It is very difficult to be around people like that, but they are family and he is close to the end, so we try our best.

I haven't the foggiest about most other people, as we try not to get into deep conversations with people, where their bigoted opinions may show.

The Rules ~ Infractions & Deletions ~ Who's the moderator? ~ FAQ ~ Personal Attacks ~ Trolling ~ Copyrighted Material

Old 02-06-2016, 10:22 AM

7,061 posts, read 3,405,733 times
Gulfport (near St. Pete).

Old 02-06-2016, 01:29 PM

10,604 posts, read 14,103,749 times
Quote:
What I was asking, actually, was if anyone has had any bad experiences with small minded people in a certain city, etc. Sorry I wasn't clear
That's not at all what you asked. You specifically asked about TG friendly. By that I assume you mean you want to live where there's a community.

But the two areas on the Atlantic that you are ruling out are Jacksonville and Wilton Manors/Ft Lauderdale. Not sure about Miami. They have enough issues with the ethnocentrism.

Old 02-06-2016, 02:52 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,123,315 times
I would be very concerned about choosing a state that does not have protective legislation for housing and employment. In Florida, it is still legal to fire someone for being LGBTQ or over their gender identity, as well as to evict them from their home. That says a lot when a state cannot manage to pass equality legislation. There are far safer states regarding attitude of "live and let live" and legal protection of your rights.

Monroe County is a place where you could expect to have decent acceptance, make friends, and generally not have anybody care. But it is an outrageously expensive place to live with an affordable housing crisis and very few liveable-wage-paying jobs.

If it were me, and safety and acceptance were a top concern, I would be looking for a more liberal state altogether. Although they are not the same issue, any state that had to be forced into allowing same sex marriage, like Florida, rather than voting it in themselves, gives you a pretty good barometer of where the residents are on these kinds of issues. In 2008, Florida went out of its way to actively ban same sex marriage AND civil unions, which was harsher than a majority of states in the US. Florida is heavily conservative, even in the counties that by Southern standards are supposed to be more liberal. Even if your neighbors are nice to you, it matters more if your government believes that you have equal rights as a tax-paying citizen, and will support them if one random person in your community decides to violate those rights.

I found a map by the Transgender Law Center that shows protection by state: National Equality Map | Transgender Law Center
Dark green shows the states with the most legal protection - and clearly they chose that for themselves, the federal government did not force them to comply (although they should, if the federal govt had such a law themselves that specifically made such discrimination illegal nationally).

The fact that we in the US pride ourselves on being a "free country" and yet we actively allow people to be fired and evicted for who they are, how they were born, and who they date is an utter disgrace.

Old 02-06-2016, 03:08 PM

1,422 posts, read 1,481,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
I would think parts of St. Pete would be TG-friendly, but it is vulnerable in the event of a hurricane.
ST Pete_ very gay friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida