U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 09:56 AM

4 posts, read 2,972 times

Advertisements

I am trying to convince my wife to move to Florida. We have visited lake Mary cocoa beach Orlando ect, and I love the weather (hate the cold). We are both 30 and like to be close to shopping restaurants night life and would love to be close to the ocean. I'm thinking of selling our house and buying a condo with cash somewhere in Florida that way money won't be a huge issue. I work online and she is a stylist. Here's what I'm looking for close to the beach low crime I am a avid mountain biker so would love to be close to trails. Also I am a professional disc golfer which I know there are courses all over Florida. I've heard to stay away from southern Florida. Anyone have suggestions of a town or if there is any other information I can provide to narrow it down let me know. Would love to move by January of 2017. Thank you for any responses and I will be furthering my research also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 10:18 AM

Also looking for a condo community with pool and fitness center for under 100,000

Old 02-09-2016, 12:07 PM

21,114 posts, read 30,189,612 times
Told to stay away from Southern Florida? Was there a particular reason given you shouldn't consider anything in the southern third of the state?

Old 02-09-2016, 12:47 PM

Just from things I've read crime rate home prices hurricanes. I'm really leaning towards Tampa or Coral Springs

Old 02-09-2016, 01:18 PM

1,444 posts, read 1,920,404 times
Jacksonville Beaches, right near the beach obviously. Some good mountain biking trails at Hanna Park right on the ocean in Atlantic Beach. I know there is a frisbee godl course at Ed Austin Park in Jacksonville and another good one at Vanzant Park in Green Cove Springs in Clay County. Working online opens you up to many locations, check some places out. If you have friends go visit them. Elkton would be a 12 hour drive from Jax, direct flights to PHL and BWI

Old 02-10-2016, 06:25 AM

670 posts, read 1,065,081 times
I think you should look at St.Pete due to the vicinity of Tampa, beautiful beaches, young demographic, night life and condos probably in your price range.

Old 02-10-2016, 06:53 AM

21,114 posts, read 30,189,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Told to stay away from Southern Florida? Was there a particular reason given you shouldn't consider anything in the southern third of the state?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rll131 View Post
Just from things I've read crime rate home prices hurricanes. I'm really leaning towards Tampa or Coral Springs
Just as an FYI, Coral Springs is smack in the center of South Florida.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:48 AM

Yea I thought Coral Springs was closer to the beach. I work from home but my wife would still like to find a decent job. Basically I live in Elkton there are good parts and bad parts but it's hard to tell unless you have lived here. Anyone know specific condo complexes that are good areas in or near Tampa ? Really leaning towards Tampa I have a friend that lives a hour from there in inverson.

Old 02-10-2016, 09:17 AM

2,121 posts, read 1,362,294 times
Definitely consider South Florida. I would look at areas in Broward near 595. Markham Park has outstanding mountain bike trails and disc golf. Plus within a 45 minute drive you have access to several other parks with trails and disc golf. Being close to the highway also means quick access to the beach areas and wherever else you want to go.

Just like you say with Elkton, there are good and bad parts, I wouldn't worry about that. Focus on the area in general, first. The idea that South Florida is just full of crime and issues is junk. South Florida is larger than about half the countries in the world. It's far too big to paint with a broad stroke. But with the size, we have EVERYTHING!

Old 02-10-2016, 08:12 PM

1,338 posts, read 1,383,033 times
I was a northern Virginia mountain biker before moving to Ormond by-the-sea this summer. I have only unboxed one bike. I should be biking but haven't bothered, there aren't any mountains or big hills. Ocala is about an hour and a half from where I am, it has miles and miles of trails, Graham swamp is suppose to be good and it can't be more than a half hour away. We live about 500 feet from the Atlantic and the brake discs, cassette and chain are rusting on the bike I unpacked. I haven't unpacked my Kona King Kahuna yet, but expect rust as it isn't sealed in plastic.

You may have to choose between being next to the beach and having serviceable mountain bikes. I have bought a surf board and am siding with the beach. If you decide to move to Florida and keep mountain biking I have a Trek Rumblefish that might like, it might not be corroded to junk if you hurry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or