Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 06:22 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,754,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckRebel View Post
I think the majority of the county would consider it a suburb of miami. Floridians wouldnt though
if they know Boca they know West Palm Beach. The only people who don't know West Palm Beach or never heard of it probably live outside the country and of course Miami is a world famous city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 11:08 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,257,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
....or is it's own separate thing?
Not exactly sure what you mean by a suburb, I moved up this way from Miami (worked in Ft. Lauderdale), and I think it is definitely its own place--kind of has a sophisticated urban feel, but would be considered more a suburb of Palm Beach than of either Miami or Ft. Lauderdale.

Though there are some who commute to Ft. Lauderdale for work, people seem to avoid going south like the plague on the weekends--too congested and awful traffic, but will head to Palm Beach for events, restaurants or whatever. A lot of people commute to Boca area from W. Palm and Lake Worth.

Whole different vibe.The population and demographics do not come close to that of Miami or FTL--it is a totally different atmosphere--a little older and a lot fewer little kids. Not much of an hispanic population at all. Interests are different, events and festivals are different, etc.

It is nothing like the closer in, real suburbs of Miami. Not like Weston, Miami Lakes, Davie, e.g. at all.

It honestly feels more like a suburb of Boston or NYC, as there are so many people from that area.

Old 02-12-2016, 11:23 AM

25 posts, read 43,035 times
I consider the entire Palm Beach an exurb of Miami. Kind of what every town in Orange County is to Los Angeles.

Now any small town in Broward, I do consider it a suburb of Miami as I consider Ft. Lauderdale a suburb of Miami. Maybe contentious to some who live in Ft. Lauderdale but there is too much back and forth.

Old 02-12-2016, 04:58 PM

3 posts, read 3,491 times
It's a suburb of NYC.

Old 02-12-2016, 05:07 PM

507 posts, read 516,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpycricket View Post
It's a suburb of NYC.
That's insane, everyone knows the suburbs of NYC stop at Jacksonville.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:06 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,916,759 times
I don't think of Boca as a suburb of Miami.

Old 02-13-2016, 06:43 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,927,714 times
Here's what you need to do. Take all the working population of Boca and find out where they work. I doubt many residents of Boca work in Dade County, or even venture that far south very often. So in that sense, it is not a true suburb of Miami. The question is, do more Boca residents commute to FtL or WPB for work and play, or do they work and play in Boca proper? That will answer the question.

I've never lived in SoFla, so I can't answer that, but my educated guess would be that Fort Lauderdale pulls a bigger chunk of its workforce/patronage from Boca than does WPB.

However, if Boca's commercial district is distinct on its own and pulls heavily from its own residents and the immediately surrounding towns, you could say Boca is "its own thing".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida