Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 09:33 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,747,624 times

Advertisements

When I lived in Key Largo the two biggest problems were bugs and drought. Since I moved inland only bugs are an issue. The soil is horrible in most places, in Key Largo it was coral rock with pockets of soil, here it is white sand, really worse than the coral rock. Yet thanks to yard waste, lot clearing debris and my woodchipper, bobcats and dozer, the soil is improving. My Key Largo garden included a rooftop hydroponic setup with a screened enclosure to keep bugs out. My current garden is mostly ground based but the lettuce and tomatoes are still hydroponic.

Since my old truck was wood powered, I had an endless supply of ash for fertilizer. Also composted pet waste from my dogs and from an animal rescue. Now I process horse manure but will not use cow manure or poultry manure due to fears of chemical contamination. In the Keys I was the go-to guy for landscapers who wanted to dump yard waste for free and my rocky yard gained 12 inches of compost which held rain water and built an amazing yard. Getting water for thirsty banana trees was the only limiting factor. Here banana trees grow abundantly.

Remember, compost is your friend and bugs are your main enemy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2016, 06:48 AM

17,181 posts, read 15,382,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredesch View Post
You can grow tropicals farther north if you are really close to the ocean. You have to know your microclimate or be willing to loose plants.
Even inland... I have tropical plants in my yard (papaya, several pineapple, and lately, a young coconut tree, although I doubt this one will last, as I may not be watering it enough...)

Old 03-01-2016, 08:39 AM

1,886 posts, read 1,839,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
When I lived in Key Largo the two biggest problems were bugs and drought. Since I moved inland only bugs are an issue. The soil is horrible in most places, in Key Largo it was coral rock with pockets of soil, here it is white sand, really worse than the coral rock. Yet thanks to yard waste, lot clearing debris and my woodchipper, bobcats and dozer, the soil is improving. My Key Largo garden included a rooftop hydroponic setup with a screened enclosure to keep bugs out. My current garden is mostly ground based but the lettuce and tomatoes are still hydroponic.

Since my old truck was wood powered, I had an endless supply of ash for fertilizer. Also composted pet waste from my dogs and from an animal rescue. Now I process horse manure but will not use cow manure or poultry manure due to fears of chemical contamination. In the Keys I was the go-to guy for landscapers who wanted to dump yard waste for free and my rocky yard gained 12 inches of compost which held rain water and built an amazing yard. Getting water for thirsty banana trees was the only limiting factor. Here banana trees grow abundantly.

Remember, compost is your friend and bugs are your main enemy.
Isn't Horse Manure "hot"? (someone told me that once but I never quite understood what it meant) HA

Good info though!! Thanks for sharing!! Love it!

Old 03-02-2016, 07:24 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,572,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredesch View Post
You can grow tropicals farther north if you are really close to the ocean. You have to know your microclimate or be willing to loose plants.

Also some winters are colder than others, and it can be decades between severe cold snaps.. For example Orange Park and Mandarin are both Jacksonville suburbs... named be for citrus groves in the area. They produced commercial citrus from the earliest days of Florida until the freeze of 1894-5.

I had a house in Middlburg, between Jacksonville and Gainesville about 100 feet above sea level, Florida Mountains LOL... The citrus trees were on the edge of the septic drainfield, it kept that area a tiny bit warmer so they did well, not to mention fertilizer. So you could have microclimates in your yard as well.

You will hear on the news when it gets cold about protecting plants and pets. People will grow some tropicals in Jacksonville area and either bring potted plants inside or cover with blankets. You can drive around neighborhoods on cold winter mornings in North and Central Florida and see plants covered in blankets all over.

Jacksonville Beach can have a low temp of 50 and 25 miles inland its 29 for low temp

Last edited by jwolfer; 03-02-2016 at 07:50 AM..

Old 03-02-2016, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolfer View Post
Also some winters are colder than others, and it can be decades between severe cold snaps.. For example Orange Park and Mandarin are both Jacksonville suburbs... named be for citrus groves in the area. They produced commercial citrus from the earliest days of Florida until the freeze of 1894-5.

I had a house in Middlburg, between Jacksonville and Gainesville about 100 feet above sea level, Florida Mountains LOL... The citrus trees were on the edge of the septic drainfield, it kept that area a tiny bit warmer so they did well, not to mention fertilizer. So you could have microclimates in your yard as well.

You will hear on the news when it gets cold about protecting plants and pets. People will grow some tropicals in Jacksonville area and either bring potted plants inside or cover with blankets. You can drive around neighborhoods on cold winter mornings in North and Central Florida and see plants covered in blankets all over.

Jacksonville Beach can have a low temp of 50 and 25 miles inland its 29 for low temp
Interesting! Thank you

Old 03-02-2016, 11:15 AM

17,181 posts, read 15,382,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyRoos View Post
Interesting! Thank you
Yeah we haven't had a freeze here this year, and "winter" is practically over. I think we had maybe one or 2 cool weeks, with highs in the low 60s and lows in the upper 30s/lower 40s, but that's been it. The rest of the season has been nothing but 70s for highs for the most part.
Last year, I believe we had one freeze... Something like 31 degrees for maybe an hour at 6AM.

Old 03-02-2016, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Yeah we haven't had a freeze here this year, and "winter" is practically over. I think we had maybe one or 2 cool weeks, with highs in the low 60s and lows in the upper 30s/lower 40s, but that's been it. The rest of the season has been nothing but 70s for highs for the most part.
Last year, I believe we had one freeze... Something like 31 degrees for maybe an hour at 6AM.
That's why I want to move to Florida
Here in Wisconsin my garden is under a layer of snow for wayyyyyyyy too long. This last Sunday it was 60 degrees and I didn't have to wear a jacket.....all the snow was gone. Then, of course, Mother Nature gets PMS on Tuesday and dumps 5 inches of snow on us and today the morning temp was 5.
5? Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
I really need to get out of this frozen tundra!

Old 03-02-2016, 11:33 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,941,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyRoos View Post
That's why I want to move to Florida
Here in Wisconsin my garden is under a layer of snow for wayyyyyyyy too long. This last Sunday it was 60 degrees and I didn't have to wear a jacket.....all the snow was gone. Then, of course, Mother Nature gets PMS on Tuesday and dumps 5 inches of snow on us and today the morning temp was 5.
5? Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
I really need to get out of this frozen tundra!

Here is a great place to visit if you ever get over to the Miami-Dade- Fruit and Spice Park

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnzH5nXJx_A

Old 03-02-2016, 11:52 AM

[quote=perry335654;43216310]Here is a great place to visit if you ever get over to the Miami-Dade- Fruit and Spice Park

That looks like an awesome place!! I'll have to go there one of these days for sure!!
Thanks so much for sharing!!

Old 03-15-2016, 03:24 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,941,124 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh6m-JnLVYg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida