Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 01:36 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,824,127 times

Advertisements

Since I am from Wisconsin and plan to move to Florida some day (Come hell or high water)...I would love to still have a vegetable garden. I really enjoy that but our season here is so short! I have heard that growing a garden in the summer months is not fun LOL
Does anyone on do the gardening thing and if so, how has it gone? What kind of plants grow best and when? I suppose it depends on what part of Florida you live in. When I do move down there it will be on the Gulf side anywhere from Crystal River down to Sarasota area. Thanks for any and all input in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 02:14 PM

16,826 posts, read 14,969,207 times
I grow all kinds of vegetables from squash to spinach to bok-choy (chinese cabbage) to tomatoes... And then lots of spices like basil, thyme, oregano, a variety of hot peppers, parsley, cilantro...

There have been some challenges, but mostly in the form of squirrels. The squirrels would eat entire plants (not just leaves) down to the roots, essentially killing them. I've found that attracting corvidae birds (crows, jays, etc.) and Cardinals to the site repels the squirrels. The birds will eat some of the vegetables, but they tend to be smarter and seem to understand the concept of plant growth, so they eat very little and ensure that the stuff grows back. They have warded off lots of squirrel attempts at the garden.

Other than that, I enjoy it at all times of year. Summers are hot, yes, but if you work during the morning or evening hours, it's bearable. Or just keep lots of cold beer nearby.

Old 02-11-2016, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I grow all kinds of vegetables from squash to spinach to bok-choy (chinese cabbage) to tomatoes... And then lots of spices like basil, thyme, oregano, a variety of hot peppers, parsley, cilantro...

There have been some challenges, but mostly in the form of squirrels. The squirrels would eat entire plants (not just leaves) down to the roots, essentially killing them. I've found that attracting corvidae birds (crows, jays, etc.) and Cardinals to the site repels the squirrels. The birds will eat some of the vegetables, but they tend to be smarter and seem to understand the concept of plant growth, so they eat very little and ensure that the stuff grows back. They have warded off lots of squirrel attempts at the garden.

Other than that, I enjoy it at all times of year. Summers are hot, yes, but if you work during the morning or evening hours, it's bearable. Or just keep lots of cold beer nearby.

Thank you so much Arcenal352
Good info!!

Old 02-12-2016, 07:58 AM

26,804 posts, read 43,277,024 times
I agree with Arcenal352, you can grow pretty much anything and on many items if timed properly get two or even three plantings/harvesting in per year. Radishes, Spring Onions, Cucumbers, Baby Carrots, Green Beans plus varying Greens and Lettuces can go planted to harvested three times a year if diligent.

Old 02-12-2016, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I agree with Arcenal352, you can grow pretty much anything and on many items if timed properly get two or even three plantings/harvesting in per year. Radishes, Spring Onions, Cucumbers, Baby Carrots, Green Beans plus varying Greens and Lettuces can go planted to harvested three times a year if diligent.

Good to know!! That's exciting!
Thanks Kyle19125

Old 02-12-2016, 09:15 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,601,035 times
My sister grows stuff year round in Palm Beach. You just have to know what you are planting, etc. But as others have said, the weather here is outstanding for a vegetable garden and you can get tons and tons of yield. I had one a few years ago and it grows like crazy.

Old 02-12-2016, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
My sister grows stuff year round in Palm Beach. You just have to know what you are planting, etc. But as others have said, the weather here is outstanding for a vegetable garden and you can get tons and tons of yield. I had one a few years ago and it grows like crazy.
Yeah!!!!

Old 02-12-2016, 10:47 AM

499 posts, read 580,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
Really?? That's fantastic! I wasn't sure about South Florida. I am dying to plant some veggies this year. I'm going to do some container gardening b/c we live in a rental, plus I can control the soil better that way. Believe it or not, I think its still too cold here to plant anything. We've been in the 40's at night.

CindyRoos - I feel so guilty complaining about the 40s, you guys are ridiculously cold up there right now! Hope ur staying warm

Old 02-12-2016, 10:54 AM

16,826 posts, read 14,969,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromCTtoFL View Post
Really?? That's fantastic! I wasn't sure about South Florida. I am dying to plant some veggies this year. I'm going to do some container gardening b/c we live in a rental, plus I can control the soil better that way. Believe it or not, I think its still too cold here to plant anything. We've been in the 40's at night.

CindyRoos - I feel so guilty complaining about the 40s, you guys are ridiculously cold up there right now! Hope ur staying warm
I've never had any issues with our "cold" spells, and I live in Central FL, where we sometimes drop into the mid 30s at night! The cold is very brief, and has never been enough to do any damage to my plants -- Not even the tropical plants I have, like my Papaya tree

I'd be more concerned about shading, as the sun can be more hazardous to your plants than anything. Lucky for me, my yard is surrounded by tall trees, so they get a healthy mix of sun and shade throughout the day.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:25 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,117,880 times
I don't do many edibles, but a guy at the home and garden show said Florida has 3 vegi seasons. A spring warm weather season starts in March and runs through August. Only a few things like okra will take August weather. The second warm season vegi season (seed starting) on August 15. October or November starts the cool vegi season. Only chance to do stuff like lettuce.

Fruit like banana, dragon fruit, citrus, papaya, mango and avocados are possible here. Just don't expect to grow lilacs, tulips and things that need a chilling period. My wife bought a student sized fridge to provide chilling for daffodils that nature won't provide down here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida