U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 09:04 PM

8,964 posts, read 6,212,042 times

Advertisements

Who are these ppl? I have no idea. Most newbies to the state are your typical...NY, NJ and foreigners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 09:08 PM

5,426 posts, read 3,874,567 times
Supposedly the level of fraud and crime in the Miami area is high (have heard this from a number of people). This would be white collar fraud, racketeering, drugs rings, etc.
Is this true, and if so, is it just tolerated because of all the cash it brings in?

(I hate to say it, but the entire state seems to have quite the reputation for a lack of..........morals, let's just say...)

Last edited by maineguy8888; 02-12-2016 at 09:36 PM..

Old 02-12-2016, 09:20 PM

1,450 posts, read 870,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Supposedly the level of fraud and crime is Miami area is high (have heard this from a number of people). This would be white collar fraud, racketeering, drugs rings, etc.
I like Florida for the climate, but hate Miami for the reasons mentioned, then this does not say much, since I do not like big cities. I really like Naples the most, but I find Clearwater more affordable. This rings most true when it is a winter get-away home.

Old 02-13-2016, 05:51 AM

4,778 posts, read 5,317,344 times
Quote:
So who are these people coming in and going in a few years?? Big money from other states and countries? Regular people who don't know what they are getting into?.
It's a little of both.
I've met countless people who stay less than a year.

As far as big money: lots of investors, and wealthy people from outside the state who can afford to own multiple properties.

I watched a documentary on Florida going back to the early 1900s.
It has always been "the plan" of Florida to attract wealthy people who can afford multiple homes.
("Regular people" moving here, who can only afford one home and considered working class was never part of the big plan.)

Old 02-13-2016, 07:12 AM

2,233 posts, read 1,502,608 times
Miami is comparable now to Sydney Australia if you ask me. A true global city.

Old 02-13-2016, 09:16 AM

8,964 posts, read 6,212,042 times
Quote:
Supposedly the level of fraud and crime in the Miami area is high (have heard this from a number of people). This would be white collar fraud, racketeering, drugs rings, etc.
Is this true, and if so, is it just tolerated because of all the cash it brings in?

(I hate to say it, but the entire state seems to have quite the reputation for a lack of..........morals, let's just say...)

Tax fraud, real estate fraud, insurance fraud, medical fraud...list goes on...

Old 02-13-2016, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Miami is comparable now to Sydney Australia if you ask me. A true global city.
What do you mean by this? I know that since the early 60s the Cubans have made up a huge percentage of the population in the Miami area. (I believe they are now the actual majority?)
Is there a large contingent of illegal aliens in southwest Florida also?

Old 02-13-2016, 10:18 AM

2,233 posts, read 1,502,608 times
Quote:
What do you mean by this? I know that since the early 60s the Cubans have made up a huge percentage of the population in the Miami area. (I believe they are now the actual majority?)
Is there a large contingent of illegal aliens in southwest Florida also?
What does that matter? The Cuban-American community took what was a small beach retirement city (Miami), and transformed it into an international globally renowned metropolis. Why are you bringing illegals into this conversation?

And yes, there are illegals in Southwest Florida, as well as large LEGAL immigrant communities. The rich retirees would be helpless without them.

Old 02-13-2016, 10:50 AM

9,659 posts, read 6,959,908 times
Quote:
I agree it must seem more secure and safe than many Central American countries. I also detected a large Eastern European presence; is that correct? And how many people are we talking about?? It takes ALOT of foreign nationals moving in to support a CVS or Walgreens on every other street corner, in a 20,000 square mile area.......
Well, with Big Pharma booming along as it is, I'm not surprised. Plus the CVS and Walgreens seem to serve as general quick
stop stores with the other merchandise they carry.

Old 02-13-2016, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Well, with Big Pharma booming along as it is, I'm not surprised. Plus the CVS and Walgreens seem to serve as general quick
stop stores with the other merchandise they carry.
I was just using them as an example. The point is that the scale of new development (commercial and otherwise) in the area is astounding. Who is paying to build all of these places, and then who is paying to shop in them or be customers there? For the residential, who is paying to buy them?
Billions upon billions of dollars are not sunk into development without a return.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or